Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Buchanon Precision Machine portable hand press BASE MOD

All things reloading here
John E Davies
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Buchanon Precision Machine portable hand press BASE MOD

Post by John E Davies » Fri Sep 11, 2020 3:10 pm

Does anyone else have one? I bought their L-N-L version with a soft carry case a month ago. Here is the press (the following two are not my pics)

IMG_1970.jpeg
IMG_1970.jpeg (36.81 KiB) Viewed 1316 times
IMG_8964.jpeg
IMG_8964.jpeg (182.09 KiB) Viewed 1316 times

https://buchananprecisionmachine.com/pr ... -with-case

If you don't know anything about these, there are a number of articles and videos. Like this one: ... https://www.thereloadersnetwork.com/201 ... and-press/ ... It is pricey but I got tired of taking my 19 pound Rockchucker along on range trips. I no longer have the hand strength needed for a Lee Hand Press. This weighs 3 pounds and is super compact. It is an absolute joy to look at and operate. The machine work is wonderful. It does use different muscles though, you press your palms together in front of your chest, as if you were praying. It uses ones I rarely use, and after resizing fifty unlubed .44 Mag cases in a carbide die, I could sure feel some soreness.

One thing I did NOT care for is the way it just sits unsecured on the table (or your lap). It is tall and top heavy, and slick on the bottom, so I was unhappy with the way it scooted around and threatened to topple over. They recommend that you keep it free for resizing, and secure it for other operations to any flat surface with a rubber padded quick release work clamp.That sort of worked, but it completely blocked access to my bench drawer, and it just seemed really really clunky and awkward.

So I disassembled the base carefully with a 1/8" DIMPLED roll pin punch, drilled a hole in the middle and now use a 5/16" stainless bolt and plastic knob. I also added some self adhesive cloth reinforced neoprene padding (from an MTM In Safe Pistol Case), so it flexes a little but doesn't rotate at all or scoot around. It all fits in the bag, along with some spares. It installs on or removes from a bench in seconds and I don't have to carry around a clamp....

IMG_2115.jpeg
IMG_2115.jpeg (241.58 KiB) Viewed 1316 times
IMG_2116.jpeg
IMG_2116.jpeg (263.64 KiB) Viewed 1316 times

The guide pin holes were burred from driving in the roll pins, they scratched the hard anodized finish and made disassembly a little difficult. I dressed them away with a small file and it went back together more easily.

IMG_2118.jpeg
IMG_2118.jpeg (221.19 KiB) Viewed 1316 times
IMG_2121.jpeg
IMG_2121.jpeg (172.4 KiB) Viewed 1316 times
IMG_2129.jpeg
IMG_2129.jpeg (194.99 KiB) Viewed 1316 times
IMG_2130.jpeg
IMG_2130.jpeg (161.1 KiB) Viewed 1316 times
IMG_2131.jpeg
IMG_2131.jpeg (260.48 KiB) Viewed 1316 times
IMG_2133.jpeg
IMG_2133.jpeg (237.59 KiB) Viewed 1316 times
IMG_2135.jpeg
IMG_2135.jpeg (310.9 KiB) Viewed 1316 times

The spare hardware consists of a shorter bolt, and an extra spacer and knob, so I can attach the press to work surfaces of different thicknesses.

I emailed Buchanon, suggesting that they add a third hole in the base so a buyer could decide if he wanted to use it, but he was completely disinterested. It really would add minimal cost to the manufacture process. An owner could drill the base by hand without disassembly, but I think it could end very badly ;) A drill press gives you complete control and good results.

Your comments are welcome.

John Davies
Spokane WA
Last edited by John E Davies on Sat Sep 12, 2020 12:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
4 x

Ernie
Drover
United States of America

Re: Buchanon Precision Machine portable hand press BASE MOD

Post by Ernie » Fri Sep 11, 2020 4:52 pm

You thought this out well. Looks like it will do all the work you need done. I do not have a need for this press but I can see the advantage in your case. Well done. Where is this made?
0 x

John E Davies
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by John E Davies » Fri Sep 11, 2020 5:04 pm

Ernie wrote:
Fri Sep 11, 2020 4:52 pm
You thought this out well. Looks like it will do all the work you need done. I do not have a need for this press but I can see the advantage in your case. Well done. Where is this made?
Thanks for the kind words. They are made in small quantities in California, mine is serial number 225, I think. It is interesting to read about the company, they do a lot of work for the military (for example, for the Navy Rolling Airframe Missile System). They really know how to cut metal....,

https://buchananprecisionmachine.com/about

John Davies
Spokane WA
1 x

fortyshooter
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by fortyshooter » Fri Sep 11, 2020 7:24 pm

I have seen that press before in a reloading magazine and to me it looked kind of awkward to use not being bolted down.
Looks like you have figured that out.
I assume you have your table setup a ways from the range firing line for a bit of peace while concentrating on your loading?
0 x

BruniX
Cowhand
France

Post by BruniX » Sat Sep 12, 2020 12:39 am

good work !
excellent...
BruniX
1 x
"Those who forget the past are condemned to relive it"
W. Churchill

Shadow 2 SA - CZ
P08 - Luger
AR-15 - SDI
586 - S&W
97 - CZ
T3 Tac. - Tikka
1895 SBL - Marlin
1860 COLT - Pietta

John E Davies
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by John E Davies » Sat Sep 12, 2020 9:08 am

fortyshooter wrote:
Fri Sep 11, 2020 7:24 pm
I assume you have your table setup a ways from the range firing line for a bit of peace while concentrating on your loading?
I have access to a friend’s private range so I can have it set up right there at the firing line, or if it is uncomfortable or windy weather I could take it into my travel trailer. You could do this at a public range but it would be best to figure out a way to do it off your tailgate, or inside a van.

Measuring and dispensing powder should be done in a calm spot, for sure. If there is a clubhouse, I expect that you could set up in there.

John Davies
Spokane WA
0 x

fortyshooter
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by fortyshooter » Sat Sep 12, 2020 9:31 am

Ok having a private range is an excellent place to take your time and enjoy what you are doing. Yep you don't want a breeze if checking powder load on a scale.
0 x

Rifletom
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by Rifletom » Sat Sep 12, 2020 11:48 am

Yeah, that fella is on another forum I frequent. Pretty knowledgeable guy. Based in Ojai, Ca. His lever collection is something.
0 x