Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Does anybody waterproof their self defense ammo?

All things reloading here
John E Davies
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Does anybody waterproof their self defense ammo?

Post by John E Davies » Tue Aug 25, 2020 7:57 pm

Wondering if there is any merit in doing this with my expensive .44 Mag bear loads. Some colored rings would make them look much prettier.....

C.E. Harris' piece entitled: "Reloading for the Semi-Auto 1986" in Handloader #139, pg. 60 at the very end of the article writes: If you insist on waterproofing primers or wish to identify batches of loads, the following method will give satisfactory results. Obtain some model airplane lacquer (not epoxy or urethane-based paint), of a highly visible color such as red, green or blue. Dilute it with lacquer thinner to a watery consistency. With the primed cases or loaded rounds stacked base up in an MTM box or similar container, dip a straightened paperclip about half an inch into the diluted lacquer. That should leave exactly one drop on the clip. If you touch the end of the wire to the edge of the primer pocket, the lacquer will flow neatly and perfectly,looking just like Lake City did it. You can seal the bullet by holding the round in your fingers and applying a single drop where case mouth and bullet meet. Use one drop on a .22 to.270 round and not more than two on a 7mm to 8mm cartridge.

What color makes the best load? I was thinking Brown to indicate “brown bear load“..... LOL .... But maybe Italian Red would be best, for a faster bullet.

2FB28A10-3D6D-49F3-92E8-19577D9E208B.jpeg
2FB28A10-3D6D-49F3-92E8-19577D9E208B.jpeg (137.02 KiB) Viewed 853 times

Tamiya paint flier, color chart:
https://www.hiroboy.com/?download_id=44

Comments are welcome.

John Davies
Spokane WA
0 x

Team Roper
Cowhand
United States of America

Re: Does anybody waterproof their self defense ammo?

Post by Team Roper » Tue Aug 25, 2020 9:15 pm

I have heard of some using clear fingernail polish to waterproof their primers for hunting. I've never seen the need to do so and I have had no problems. Knock on wood.
2 x
Army Paratrooper
173 rd Airborne Brigade, 2nd/503 rd. Airborne Infantry, Vietnam 66-67, point man, tunnel rat
combat jump 2/67
82 nd Airborne Div. 1st/505th Airborne Infantry, Vietnam, 68, Sniper
jumped with the Army Parachute Team, The Golden Knights.

runnin n gunnin
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by runnin n gunnin » Tue Aug 25, 2020 9:23 pm

Nope, I live in Arizona !
1 x
I stand for the flag, and kneel for my fallen brothers.

fortyshooter
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by fortyshooter » Tue Aug 25, 2020 9:27 pm

Not a bad idea.
0 x

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Wed Aug 26, 2020 8:32 am

I stood in the rain directing traffic, or "observing" an area for several hours. The Jacket Slot High Ride duty belt kept the Glock handy, but fully exposed on every occasion. I certainly cleaned the firearm and duty gear after each incident, dried the ammo and reloaded the mags. Then, at the next semi-annual requalification, it is standard practice to fire the old duty ammo, every round fired without incident. After requal, I issued myself new ammo, and started the cycle again. Rain, snow, sleet, hail... I hated standing IN it, but it didn't concern me as far as ammo reliability went. :lol:

Of course, better safe than sorry... :D ... It can't hurt to seal the ammo, and with the method above, it wouldn't take that long or cost that much. ;)
1 x
You can tell a lot about the character of a man...
by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.

Hatchdog
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Hatchdog » Wed Aug 26, 2020 9:53 am

“ But maybe Italian Red would be best, for a faster bullet.”

:lol: Good one!
1 x

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Wed Aug 26, 2020 11:22 pm

a arthritic right hand has motivated me to reduce the recoil in firing our Ruger Redhawk 44 Mag. .... to make sure I don't mix the light loads with our full power 44 Mags that we fire in our Henry, I color the primers red .... don't know that it helps to waterproof the ammo but do know it sure makes them easy to spot
Attachments
191030 002 Redhawk Loads 002.jpg
191030 002 Redhawk Loads 002.jpg (82.69 KiB) Viewed 786 times
0 x

John E Davies
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by John E Davies » Thu Aug 27, 2020 5:22 am

JEBar, what so you use on the primers and does it flake off or build up on the firing pin area?

They are definitely easy to ID. I hear you on the hands.I keep trading off guns as they get too uncomfortable. My handguns and rifles have been getting more low powered over the last five years due to neuropathy.

Thanks.

John Davies
Spokane WA
1 x

Jerrysea
Wrangler
United States of America

Post by Jerrysea » Thu Aug 27, 2020 9:26 am

Don't remember what brand we carried on Police Dept. retired 27 years ago. The ammo. we carried we fired when we went to qualify, it was yearly just went to every 6 months shortly before I retired.
The ammo. 9mm went through all kinds of weather as this was in Maryland. That is rain, snow, heat , cold , very high humid summers.
There were no problems with the ammo firing. This included spare ammo. that was carried.
Before we went to semi guns. It was .38 spec. for a couple of years we were given wad cutter to qualify with. Then we started shooting the carried ammo. again no problems.
I feel certain if there had been any failures I would have been made aware of it. As for years I was a shift commander(Lt)and at the very end I was an asst. station commander. I would have seen any documents about this kind of problem and they would have issued new ammo. at frequent times.
This was a large dept.. At the time I was on it, it was the 33rd largest in the country.
0 x

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Thu Aug 27, 2020 10:29 am

John E Davies wrote:
Thu Aug 27, 2020 5:22 am
JEBar, what so you use on the primers and does it flake off or build up on the firing pin area?

Thanks.

John Davies
Spokane WA

red ink from a fine point permanent marker .... nothing really there to flake off
0 x