All things reloading here
JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Re: Henry 45-70 reloading

Post by JEBar » Mon Jun 01, 2020 8:35 pm

dancote wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 8:00 pm
I guess another factor in the choice of bullet is that it either be THE bullet I use to hunt or, it should shoot somewhat close as I would be practicing with the loads FOR hunting.

as one who is about as old school as they come, I've long been committed to it being best to practice with what you hunt with .... getting older and the recoil from a full power 45-70 big game hunting round have forced me to rethink that philosophy .... I still believe that practicing with the rifle(s) you hunt with is very important .... practicing working the action, loading, unloading, sighting, trigger pull, etc are all skills that can be improved, regardless of the bullet being fired .... for that reason, I'm developing a Cowboy Action load for use on a range .... having one spares me the punishment, allows me to shoot a bit cheaper, and spares me the recoil .... just a thought
0 x

brettitt41
Wrangler
United States of America

Post by brettitt41 » Mon Jun 01, 2020 8:51 pm

Welcome aboard Dancote. What OAL is recommended for your bullet you are having trouble with? I load the Missouri Bullet coated 405gn and have not had any problems at the recommended length, actually just shy of the recommended OAL.
0 x
" Freedom is the right to tell people what they don't want to hear."

Henry H010 X

Grunt67
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Grunt67 » Mon Jun 01, 2020 11:23 pm

I'm old school like JEBar. I think it's best to practice with the load you hunt with. Part of my mind set comes from my time in law
enforcement. We practiced, and qualified with what we carried.
Comes down to familiarization. Your needs may differ.
Good luck with whatever you do.
0 x
I rarely ever buy a rifle, but when I do, it's a Henry.

"Every day above ground, is a good day" ( Al Capone )

dancote
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by dancote » Tue Jun 02, 2020 6:46 am

I was loading a trimmed ( 2.0950") brass Starline using Lyman load data for a 405 gr bullet and starting out with 30 gr IMR 4198. But, when I load the bullet down so that the brass crimps at the top of the grove, the OAL comes out to around 2.670" and snags when it tries to lift up toward the action. It does chamber fine (leaves faint impression of lands on ridge of flat plate) so I can probably shoot them off by loading as single shot.
I will look at the Missouri lead cast as they seem to be mentioned often here....
I ended up buying some more of the Speer 400 gr as I have been reading good things about them and perhaps that could be a good hunting bullet. Just kinda pricey at around 50 cents bullet when you count shipping.
0 x

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Tue Jun 02, 2020 8:25 am

here is a link to a website I've found does a pretty good job locating the best prices on ammo related items ===> https://ammoseek.com/ .... most any bullet out of a 45-70 is more than sufficient for black bear, boar, and deer .... for me, the key is finding one that our Henry likes .... the one we settled on is the 300 gr Nolser Ballistic Silvertip .... we monitor Shooter's Pro Shop and stock up when possible ===> http://www.shootersproshop.com/nosler-p ... -50ct.html ..... their trajectory out to 150 yards is considerably flatter than 400 gr bullets .... no issues with lead or copper buildup ....
0 x

bdbrown66
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by bdbrown66 » Tue Jun 02, 2020 8:37 am

Welcome, Dan.

First of all, I also use the 300gr Nosler BT's in my 45-70. They are a very accurate bullet, and excellent for deer. I push them just over 2000 fps, and have taken deer out to 180 yards so far. You might also check out the 300gr Speer JHP "Plinker" bullets. They are inexpensive, shoot good, and hold together very well. If I were hunting black bear, I would probably use those.

As for lead bullets, yes, there is a velocity threshold at which leading becomes an issue. The coated bullets raise the threshold, allowing you to push them up to about 1600fps or so. You can eliminate the leading problem by using gas checked bullets, which have a copper plate on the bottom.

Good luck, and have fun!

Brian
1 x

brettitt41
Wrangler
United States of America

Post by brettitt41 » Tue Jun 02, 2020 7:43 pm

dancote wrote:
Tue Jun 02, 2020 6:46 am
I was loading a trimmed ( 2.0950") brass Starline using Lyman load data for a 405 gr bullet and starting out with 30 gr IMR 4198. But, when I load the bullet down so that the brass crimps at the top of the grove, the OAL comes out to around 2.670" and snags when it tries to lift up toward the action. It does chamber fine (leaves faint impression of lands on ridge of flat plate) so I can probably shoot them off by loading as single shot.
I will look at the Missouri lead cast as they seem to be mentioned often here....
I ended up buying some more of the Speer 400 gr as I have been reading good things about them and perhaps that could be a good hunting bullet. Just kinda pricey at around 50 cents bullet when you count shipping.
At 2.670 your OAL is probably too long for proper function through the action. Check with your bullet manufacturer and see what they recommend for OAL for that bullet in a 45-70. Longest length I have seen as max OAL is 2.550. If your getting rifling impressions on the ogive when single loaded your jamming the bullet. That could lead to a high pressure situation if you are loading at the upper end so be careful.
0 x
" Freedom is the right to tell people what they don't want to hear."

Henry H010 X

dancote
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by dancote » Tue Jun 02, 2020 10:11 pm

Thanks for the helpful info Brettitt41! Yes..that is how long they are with brass to top of cannula groove. They are too long to cycle. I did contact the company and they said to crimp them hard at the OAL of 2.55 but I am nervous about doing so as that puts bullet deeper for possible higher pressure and also the crimp would fall on the bullet above the groove, so that might lead to the crimp failing to hold the bullet I should think. Anyway, loading to just a Trapdoor low pressure load of 30 gr IMR 4198 seemed safe and, as I said, they chamber very nicely- just don't cycle. This is why I posted so as to see what bullets others have found good for the Henry and that both chambers, cycles, and would do well on black bear.
0 x

elrotundamundo
Tenderfoot

Post by elrotundamundo » Sat Jun 13, 2020 11:59 am

When I got my Henry H010 45-70, I ordered some Cast Performance 405 grain WLN-GC and found they were too long to feed from the magazine. I had some brass from Hornady 325 gr FTX LeveRevolution ammo that came with the gun. This brass is slightly shorter than normal 45-70 brass. I found I could load the Cast Performance bullets in the short Hornady brass, and it was just enough shorter to allow the WLN-GC bullets to cycle from the magazine. I use 45.7 grains of 3031 and the load is very accurate.
0 x

CT_Shooter
Administrator emeritus
United States of America

Post by CT_Shooter » Sat Jun 13, 2020 1:01 pm

elrotundamundo wrote:
Sat Jun 13, 2020 11:59 am
When I got my Henry H010 45-70...
Welcome to the forum from CT., and thanks for sharing your 45-70 reloading experience with us. Glad your here.
0 x
H006M Big Boy Brass .357 - H001 Classic .22LR - Uberti / Taylors & Co. SmokeWagon .357 5.5" - Uberti / Taylors & Co. RanchHand .22LR 5.5"