Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Winchester small pistol primers....

All things reloading here
BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Re: Winchester small pistol primers....

Post by BigAl52 » Thu May 14, 2020 10:42 pm

Still use CCI primers and I have some down at the reloading bench. Just dont use them in the Dillon
0 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

clovishound
Drover
United States of America

Post by clovishound » Fri May 15, 2020 1:42 am

When I first started reloading, my buddy and I had problems with Winchester primers not going off. Tried being very careful about seating, which didn't help. Switched to CCI and problems went away. Later that year when .22 was hard to get I got a couple boxes of Winchester .22lr. Had nothing but trouble with them. I avoid WInchester ammo and primers whenever possible now.
0 x
There is, I think, humor here which does not translate well from English to sanity. - Sanya

CT_Shooter
Administrator emeritus
United States of America

Post by CT_Shooter » Fri May 15, 2020 1:08 pm

I've been reloading for about six years and have only used Winchester primers, since they were used to generate the load data in my Hornady manual.

The only time I had any that did not fire was once, as a novice reloader, when I seated them as deep as they would go with my hand priming tool. Foolishly, I thought if the tool can push them that deep, it must be OK. Of course, that was wrong. They were too deep for the firing pin. Never made the same mistake again. And, that was the only time I ever needed to use my impact bullet puller. ;)
0 x
H006M Big Boy Brass .357 - H001 Classic .22LR - Uberti / Taylors & Co. SmokeWagon .357 5.5" - Uberti / Taylors & Co. RanchHand .22LR 5.5"

Grunt67
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Grunt67 » Fri May 15, 2020 8:42 pm

The only issue I have ever had with any round, factory or home grown, was a Winchester 30-06. It would not fire after repeated attempts. This was shooting at paper. Had it been a nice buck,
I would not have been happy.
Haven't had any use for Winchester after that.
0 x
I rarely ever buy a rifle, but when I do, it's a Henry.

"Every day above ground, is a good day" ( Al Capone )