All things reloading here
Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Re: Fluffy Trail Boss

Post by Mistered » Sat Apr 18, 2020 9:56 am

Using a chronometer
I think you meant to say chronograph!
When loading at lower velocities the inconsistentcys seem to show themselves.
Sometimes buf not always.

In the case of one of my loads, 12 grains of Unique with a 100 or 110 grain bullet in .30-30
The accuracy is phenomenal - and this is with only about 1/3 of the case capacity used.

As long as a one is following established data or safely experimenting with lower pressure powders (and knowing the characteristics of the particular powder) And keeping an eye out for pressure indicators (very important) then reduced, low powder capacity loads are entirely safe.

Now if I were loading something that did in fact show inconsistencies immediately - such as poor accuracy, incomplete powder burn or over pressure indications I would certainly stop shooting that load however in all my years of reloading I have never experienced anything to this degree.
Last edited by Mistered on Sat Apr 18, 2020 10:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
2 x

Ojaileveraction
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Ojaileveraction » Sat Apr 18, 2020 10:02 am

Would that be easier to use?
Mistered wrote:
Sat Apr 18, 2020 9:56 am
Using a chronometer
I think you meant to say chronograph!
Thanks Ed. :lol:
0 x
Pax at Justitia

clovishound
Drover
United States of America

Post by clovishound » Sun Apr 19, 2020 7:45 pm

Perhaps a better comparison would be cost per example loads.

148 grain wadcutter in .38 spcl max load

Trail Boss 2.3 grains 1.17 cents per round

Titegroup 3.3 grains 1.22 cents per round

HP38 4.0 grains 1.49 cents per round

Universal 3.8 grains 1.41 cents per round

I like Trail Boss. It is a great powder for target loads using cast and coated bullets. I use it for accurate, low recoil loads for revolvers and .45 ACP. 148 grain wadcutters in .38 spcl out of a full sized revolver have ridiculously little recoil.

Some folks think it is an expensive powder to use, because it comes in nearly half pound canisters instead of full lbs. However, it costs less than a full pound canister, and normally uses less by weight than most pistol powders. Not recommended for high pressure cartridges like 9mm, .40 etc.
2 x
There is, I think, humor here which does not translate well from English to sanity. - Sanya

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Sun Apr 19, 2020 8:00 pm

Trail Boss 2.3 grains 1.17 cents per round

Titegroup 3.3 grains 1.22 cents per round

HP38 4.0 grains 1.49 cents per round

Universal 3.8 grains 1.41 cents per round
Are your per round prices accurate ? Because you are depicting a dollar point X amount of cents per round.

I load .38 Special a lot cheaper than this!
0 x

clovishound
Drover
United States of America

Post by clovishound » Mon Apr 20, 2020 10:58 am

Well, it all depends on how much you pay for powder. In this case, I choose to use the price at my local gun store. I can get it a little cheaper on my common powders at another local outlet, but I know the prices better at the LGS around the corner. I don't order hazmat items on the internet. I've always preferred to get them from local sources without paying the extra delivery fees. The one local outlet is pretty close to, or below internet prices, once shipping and fees are included, unless you order larger amounts. In the past I have not had the on hand funds to easily order $400 or $500 worth of powder and primers. I may start buying jugs of my two common powders once things get back to normal.

As to the accuracy, here is my methodology. 3938 grains in a bottle divided by 2.3 grains per load. This equals 1712 loads per canister. The canister runs me $20 at LGS. Divide that by 1712 and you get .011682, rounded off to 1.17 cents. If I were to buy my Trailboss in larger containers, at an outlet that gave more of a discount, then I could probably reduce that somewhat. Plugging in the cheaper local outlet price, I came in at just under a penny per round. Cutting it in half would result in a savings of less than 30 cents per box of 50. A 25% savings would be more realistic with a 15 cent savings. Powder is the cheapest component in most pistol caliber loads.

Cents per round are a convenient figure IMO. Easy to upscale to 50, 100 or 1000 rounds.
1 x
There is, I think, humor here which does not translate well from English to sanity. - Sanya

Rifletom
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by Rifletom » Mon Apr 20, 2020 1:31 pm

I have thought about trying TB, but, can't seem to change from Unique or Universal. Good reason for that. This is out of lever rifles. Might work pretty good in a revolver?
0 x

CT_Shooter
Administrator emeritus
United States of America

Post by CT_Shooter » Mon Apr 20, 2020 4:25 pm

I only reload .357s and 38 specials with JHP/JSP/FMJ bullets and I have more H110, HP-38, Unique, and Universal powders than I will ever use up in my lifetime. Otherwise, TrailBoss sounds like a good choice for mild loads to me, too. I'd love to try 2400 as well, but I just don't need more powder in the cabinet. Not a bad problem to have, I suppose.
0 x
H006M Big Boy Brass .357 - H001 Classic .22LR - Uberti / Taylors & Co. SmokeWagon .357 5.5" - Uberti / Taylors & Co. RanchHand .22LR 5.5"