Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Lock-N-Load Ammo Concentricity Tool

All things reloading here
JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Lock-N-Load Ammo Concentricity Tool

Post by JEBar » Fri Apr 10, 2020 11:16 am

having never been anything close to a precision shooter, I didn't know a tool like this existed ===> https://www.amazon.com/Hornady-050076-L ... merReviews .... it simply hasn't ever been consideration that I've known I needed to worry about .... just wondering, how many folks have found a need for such a tool .. :?:
0 x

John E Davies
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Re: Lock-N-Load Ammo Concentricity Tool

Post by John E Davies » Fri Apr 10, 2020 12:17 pm

I used one on my .223 target reloads, I cannot say exactly how much it contributed to the superb accuracy of my CZ 527 Varmint, but I am sure it helped. It makes you feel better to know that all your bullets are actually pointed straight ahead. I no longer have a rifle that could benefit from the tool, but if I get another gun, I will definitely use it again.

I did try it on some cheap Hornady .223 range ammo. They were pretty wonky, and the groups tightened up a little after straightening them. If you are truly anal, buy one, use it, and feel good about yourself and your (possibly) smaller groups. If you are a long range varmint shooter it could be helpful.

If you want to make sure your straightened rounds stay straight, be sure to use a single shot adapter and don’t slam them onto the feed ramp from the magazine.

OTH I think a good chronograph would be a much better investment if you do not already have one. After you have found a load that gives good accuracy with minimal velocity spread, then you can start to worry about tweaking the bullet angle. That step is like icing the cake, you have to do all the other stuff first.

John Davies
Spokane WA
2 x

Ojaileveraction
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Ojaileveraction » Fri Apr 10, 2020 12:53 pm

Concentricity, long bullet seating depths, weighing brass and/or bullets, Will help you win benchrest matches.
Those .02 inches make a difference.

Deer may not be able to tell the difference though.
2 x
Pax at Justitia

Ojaileveraction
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Ojaileveraction » Fri Apr 10, 2020 1:53 pm

I'm not sure Concentricity is even an issue if you have an off the shelf rifle. A no turn rifle. You would have to take the extra step of indexing cases. So the cases are chambered in the exact same alignment each time.
Don't know for sure, It is really over my pay grade.
0 x
Pax at Justitia

Ojaileveraction
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Ojaileveraction » Fri Apr 10, 2020 2:01 pm

I'm not sure Concentricity is even an issue if you have an off the shelf rifle. A no turn rifle. You would have to take the extra step of indexing cases. So the cases are chambered in the exact same alignment each time.
0 x
Pax at Justitia

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Fri Apr 10, 2020 2:04 pm

Ojaileveraction wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 1:53 pm

I can identify with that .... considering what I shoot at, what I'm shooting, and what I'm shooting it out of, I don't know that "Concentricity" has ever been or ever will be even a slight issue .... don't get me wrong, I'd be delighted if I had the level of equipment and skill where it could make a difference .... ;)
1 x

Grunt67
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Grunt67 » Fri Apr 10, 2020 3:44 pm

If you're long range, bench rest shooting, it will help. There's a laundry list of other equipment & methods to go along with that.
A deer, hog, couldn't care less.
0 x
I rarely ever buy a rifle, but when I do, it's a Henry.

"Every day above ground, is a good day" ( Al Capone )