Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Which dies?

All things reloading here
Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Re: Which dies?

Post by Mistered » Wed Jan 08, 2020 4:52 pm

No experience with Lee dies but I sure read about many who are using them with no complaints!
0 x

Shakey Jake
Drover
United States of America

Post by Shakey Jake » Wed Jan 08, 2020 5:05 pm

I've got Hornady, Lyman, RCBS, Lee, and Redding dies. They all work. I personally would buy Redding Precision dies for all my calibers if I had the money. They're worth the difference in price in my opinion, BUT, they all work. I have to say I've had good luck with RCBS customer service. They've sent me parts for free in the past. Maybe things have changed.
Jake
0 x

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Wed Jan 08, 2020 5:19 pm

They're worth the difference in price in my opinion
I agree. Much like my Forster (Bonanza) dies they are in a different class and the price reflects it!

I only have one piece of Redding equipment, a powder measure, but it is vastly superior to many other 'popular' brands - but about twice the price.
0 x

clovishound
Drover
United States of America

Post by clovishound » Wed Jan 08, 2020 5:35 pm

For clarification, Lee factory crimp dies in most rifle calibers are collet style. The Lee Factory Crimp for most pistol calibers are either roll or taper as appropriate to caliber, with a post seating resizing ring. I am a big fan of the collet style for rifle calibers, but don't see a lot of advantages of the FCD for pistol calibers. Note, there are a few specialty collet style crimp dies by Lee for a couple of pistol calibers.
0 x
There is, I think, humor here which does not translate well from English to sanity. - Sanya

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Wed Jan 08, 2020 5:50 pm

but don't see a lot of advantages of the FCD for pistol calibers.
The advantage with the COLLET FCD with pistol calibers is IF your brass varies in length you don't experience the aggravating issue of some rounds getting crimped more or less as you do with the typical roll crimping operation on the seating die.

I have a COLLET style FCD for .357 and love it! Set it, forget it and ALL rounds get crimped EQUALLY.

Unfortunately it is .357 only and I eventually need one for .38 Special as well.
0 x

clovishound
Drover
United States of America

Post by clovishound » Wed Jan 08, 2020 7:02 pm

Well, when I said that I don't see a lot of advantages of the FCD, I meant the ones that use a roll or taper crimp. The only difference between them and a standard seat/crimp die is it separates the seating and crimping. This can be done with a second seat/crimp die, and may be of some value. The other difference is the resizing ring. There may be some advantages to this for a few circumstances, but usually if the dies are set up properly, this isn't an issue.
0 x
There is, I think, humor here which does not translate well from English to sanity. - Sanya

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Wed Jan 08, 2020 10:10 pm

since the mid '60's we have used RCBS dies .... in the last few years we have added Lee crimp dies .... must admit I have been a bit surprised at negative comments about RCBS's customer service .... granted over the last 50 some years of use I can only remember having an issue with one resizing die .... a call to RCBS and they sent a replacement
0 x

clovishound
Drover
United States of America

Post by clovishound » Wed Jan 08, 2020 11:28 pm

Well, I called because I couldn't get enough neck tension to properly hold a bullet. The tech had me go through the steps listed in the instructions. I had already done these steps 4 or 5 times, but went ahead and did what he told me to do, with no change. I had even measured the neck sizing ball on the decap pin. He didn't have a clue as to why I was having the problem.

I told him I had borrowed an FCD from a friend and by using it I got good rounds. He told me if I wanted, I could ship them back to RCBS and they would look at them. I got the distinct impression he was not interested in making me a satisfied customer, just get me off the line. The RCBS dies seem to resize, decap and seat just fine, and since I could get an FCD for less than the cost of shipping my dies back to RCBS, I went that route. Needless to say, I haven't bought any more RCBS dies.
0 x

TMB
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by TMB » Thu Jan 09, 2020 8:04 am

Shakey Jake wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 5:05 pm
.......... I personally would buy Redding Precision dies for all my calibers if I had the money. They're worth the difference in price in my opinion
What makes the Redding worth the extra money?
0 x
Henry H004ES Golden Boy Eagle Scout Tribute
Henry H004 Golden Boy .22 cal
Henry H006C Big Boy Classic .45 Colt

"If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're doing something wrong.” ... John Gierach

Shakey Jake
Drover
United States of America

Post by Shakey Jake » Thu Jan 09, 2020 4:53 pm

TMB wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 8:04 am
Shakey Jake wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 5:05 pm
.......... I personally would buy Redding Precision dies for all my calibers if I had the money. They're worth the difference in price in my opinion
What makes the Redding worth the extra money?
They're just made better and turn out a better round. I use them for 25-06 and .280.
0 x