Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Which dies?

All things reloading here
TMB
Cowhand
United States of America

Which dies?

Post by TMB » Wed Jan 08, 2020 8:53 am

I'm ready to purchase my first set of dies. They will be .45 colt for my BBB and NM Blackhawk. Which manufacturer should I use. Lee, RCBS, Hornady?
0 x
Henry H004ES Golden Boy Eagle Scout Tribute
Henry H004 Golden Boy .22 cal
Henry H006C Big Boy Classic .45 Colt

"If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're doing something wrong.” ... John Gierach

clovishound
Drover
United States of America

Re: Which dies?

Post by clovishound » Wed Jan 08, 2020 9:09 am

Do you have a die mounted powder measure? Are you planning on getting one if you don't? Stick with the brand that your measure that you have, or plan to get is. You can often mount a different brand measure to your dies, but it can be tricky. Same brand mounting is effortless.

Everybody makes decent dies. I like Lee. I have had nothing but good service from them. I have a few individual Hornady dies (powder cop), and one set of RCBS. The only dies I've had any trouble with were the RCBS. Their customer service was useless. Nicely made dies, but couldn't get enough neck tension to properly hold bullets even with max crimp. Probably a fluke, as most folks have had good luck with RCBS.
1 x
There is, I think, humor here which does not translate well from English to sanity. - Sanya

TMB
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by TMB » Wed Jan 08, 2020 9:49 am

I have a Lyman 55 powder measure that is stand or bench mounted.
I agree with your assessment of RCBS customer service.
0 x

"If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're doing something wrong.” ... John Gierach

BruniX
Cowhand
France

Post by BruniX » Wed Jan 08, 2020 9:58 am

Hello,
I currently use LEE die to recharge 45-70, the set of 3 and the factory crimp.
no major concerns ...

Lee tools are inexpensive and seem to work well.
apart from the lead bullet sizer + alox, which I don't like at all.(using lub-a-matic instead)

(problem also with ALox during resizing case, i prefer lube pad...)

I do not know what it will do in the long term, because it is only a year old.

As my press is an RCBS, I mounted the DIEs on the Hornady Lock n Load die bushing, which allow you to change quickly without resuming the settings for each caliber.
This involves purchasing locknuts, which are not supplied with the Lee Dies.

from RCBS I also use the universal decaper tool, excellent tool very well finished, and the bullet puller.
both are delivered with the locking nut. which is practical.

To test, I ordered the die RCBS for the 38 special / 357, but I have not yet received them.

That said, if their quality is in proportion to that of other tools, it should be excellent. (Their rockchucker 4 press is a pleasure)

We often hear that the best are the Reddings Die , but I do not know and am not confirmed enough to judge.
they are in any case very expensive!

friendly,

BruniX
0 x
"Those who forget the past are condemned to relive it"
W. Churchill

Shadow 2 SA - CZ
P08 - Luger
AR-15 - SDI
586 - S&W
97 - CZ
T3 Tac. - Tikka
1895 SBL - Marlin
1860 COLT - Pietta

Rifletom
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by Rifletom » Wed Jan 08, 2020 10:03 am

TMB, I use both RCBS and Lee. For my .45 Colt[Henry BB steel], I use the Lee 4 Die Set. Super easy to use, goes well on my RCBS Rockchukar press. You'll like the Carbide Factory Crimp Die; makes crimping a cinch. What press do you have or plan on getting? My RC is single stage and works perfectly for my needs. Hope this helps.
0 x

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Wed Jan 08, 2020 11:28 am

I also use Lee RCBS and Redding. My favorite are the Redding. But they are also one of the more expensive dies. Lee has a factory crimp die that works really well and many reloaders use it vs the seat crimp die that comes with many die sets.
0 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

Ojaileveraction
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Ojaileveraction » Wed Jan 08, 2020 12:15 pm

For Staight walled and pistol caliber I like RCBS
For Bottle Neck cases I like the Honady Coustom Grade Dies because they have a sleeve that comes done on the seating die that really helps seat the bullets.
Like to use a Lee Factory Crimp Die for crimping lever rifle ammo.
0 x
Pax at Justitia

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Wed Jan 08, 2020 1:26 pm

One thing I would like to add is regardless of the brand of dies you get make sure is has a CARBIDE sizer die so you do not need to use lube when sizing your cases.

Because .45 Colt is straight wall no lube is needed with a carbide sizer and this facilitates reloading.

Also it has been mentioned before the advantage of the Lee Factory Crimp DIe to which I agree and use.

Rifletom referred to it as a CARBIDE factory Crimp DIe but I think he meant to say 'COLLET' factory crimp die which refers to the design of it having a 'collet' with four separate 'sleeves' that compress around the case mouth to in effect 'squeeze' the case to create the crimp on the bullet as opposed to standard dies (such as RCBS) which perform a Roll Crimp' around the mouth of the case.

Ojaileveraction mentioned the Hornady Custom dies and the seating die having a sleeve to facilitate bullet seating. While I have no experience with Hornady I do have a coupe sets of 'older' Bonanza dies which are similar in design. The sleeve aligns the bullet perfectly vertically with the case mouth for perfect seating every time. While NOT entirely necessary they are nice in that you will never have to manually ensure the bullet is relatively vertical in the mouth of the case with your fingers when seating. Typically however these dies are only offered in bottle neck styles so not really a consideration when loading straight wall ammo but maybe something to keep in mind if you expand into rifle ammo reloading.

You might want to take some time and study up on carbide sizer dies and crimping procedures to familiarize yourself with of these processes so you have a better understanding of exactly how they function in the scheme of reloading.
2 x

Rifletom
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by Rifletom » Wed Jan 08, 2020 2:14 pm

Mistered, I had to think about that. My Lee crimper for .45 Colt is indeed a roll crimp. I have the "collet" type for my 30-30. Different process, both work as advertised.
0 x

TMB
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by TMB » Wed Jan 08, 2020 3:17 pm

Thanks all I was leaning towards the Lee dies. This confirms what I was thinking.
0 x