Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

What did you do at your reloading bench today?

All things reloading here
Rifletom
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Re: What did you do at your reloading bench today?

Post by Rifletom » Fri Sep 11, 2020 11:13 pm

Yep, the deserts were clear and clean. 76 when we arrived and about 92 when we left about 11:30. Very tolerable. Yes, that Pietta really worked out well. Both Colt and acp cylinders. Most impressed. Take care.
1 x

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Sun Sep 13, 2020 10:15 am

I haven't been posting here because I haven't been reloading for some time. I loaded a lot when I had my major surgeries then didn't NEED to reload any longer because I wasn't shooting, because... I had major surgeries. :evil: Then, the upcoming move had me packing up the loading room and all the ammo and supplies... what a pain. I had a nice setup on the old farm...

When we got here, I had to decide where the loading room would be and how I would set it up. It wasn't a priority, so all that equipment was stacked in a corner of the Home Office for a couple weeks while more important decisions were made. Eventually, we sorted out the house and I chose a location, dug up the loading bench and got that set up and started to get organized. Things were sorted out. The bulk brass was stored in the garage until the new range house was delivered, but the sorted, prepped brass, and the loaded ammo went into the shelves in the loading room.

The loading bench ....

new bench comp.jpg
new bench comp.jpg (83.79 KiB) Viewed 1030 times

Tina made me a cover for the Dillon Press from leftover material from making curtains from my Office.

tina made the cover comp.jpg
tina made the cover comp.jpg (185.54 KiB) Viewed 1030 times

I have about five of these shelves in the room. Doesn't leave too much space to move around, BUT, it does get things organized. I'm a "Place for everything and everything in it's place" kind of guy. Still trying to get this just right, but I'll have to start loading again to reach it.....

getting organized comp.jpg
getting organized comp.jpg (93.26 KiB) Viewed 1030 times

There was a post talking about Sorting all the brass that I found had gotten mixed up during the move, 20 gallons worth of 9mm, 38, 40, 45 and 223... but that was bulk brass and went into the range house. I am still trying to find the time to get the berm built, but I should have about 90 yards on the range here... enough for me. That would be the subject for another post.

:D

The box beside the press contains a cool LED light that fits in the center of the Dillon tool head and lights up the working area. The original died during the move and I contacted the manufacturer to see if I could get a new power supply. I felt the heat in the moving trucks over the summer had killed it. He said to send the complete light back and he would replace it.

He did, free of charge.
2 x
You can tell a lot about the character of a man...
by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.

runnin n gunnin
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by runnin n gunnin » Sun Sep 13, 2020 10:33 am

Very nice set up !
0 x
I stand for the flag, and kneel for my fallen brothers.

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Sun Sep 13, 2020 10:42 am

This room was filled with shoes when the previous owner lived in the house. Wall to wall, floor to ceiling shelves, spaced for shoes boxes, and they were filled with boxes and boxes of shoes. Women say gun collections are expensive! Some of those red bottom shoes... Oh my!
0 x

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Sun Sep 13, 2020 11:45 am

Man Im jealous. I need to get me a Buzz Lightyear and Woody helper combo in my loading room. Looks good to me Marine way more organized that my loading room.
0 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

fortyshooter
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by fortyshooter » Sun Sep 13, 2020 11:56 am

Very nice setup with plenty of supplies nearby. Couldn't help from noticing all those boxes of primers to right of first picture....gold!
0 x

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Sun Sep 13, 2020 2:20 pm

BigAl52 wrote:
Sun Sep 13, 2020 11:45 am
Man Im jealous. I need to get me a Buzz Lightyear and Woody helper combo in my loading room. Looks good to me Marine way more organized that my loading room.
The wife found both in yard sales... and picked them up specifically for my loading room. She said Woody could keep an eye on me. Primers? I loaded about 10k rounds a year when we shot competition and we would order in bulk from GA Arms. By getting a large group of us together and then driving down from VA with an enclosed trailer and a huge dually pickup to pull it, we got great prices. I would order primers, powder, and bullets for the year...

If I didn't shoot them all, I still placed the same order the next year, because you never knew, we might have extra matches, I might take extra classes. As an instructor I tried to take as many as possible. :D

So, when I didn't compete after my last season... I was pretty much set... But when my Rabbi called at the beginning of the new seasons and said, "We are ordering, what do you want this year?". I wasn't going to say. .. "Nothing..."

I ordered a "few things" :D
1 x

Rifletom
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by Rifletom » Sun Sep 13, 2020 5:57 pm

Either today or tomorrow, I'll be loading 50 rounds of .45 acp. 25 of 5.4gr Universal, 25 with 5.5gr BE-86. All with MB 230gr RN coated. These worked so well in my Pietta. Just a different deal from my 1911 to a SA revolver. This gun is going to see a LOT of use. Heck, I'm already looking at another Pietta with a 7.5" barrel! .45 Colt of course!
0 x

Vaquero
Ranch Boss
United States of America

Post by Vaquero » Mon Sep 14, 2020 7:41 am

Still haven't done much on mine.
Very little shooting of late so no real need.
Finally got an e-mail from MBC, Fri.
So they should be here in the next day or two.
It's been two Mons. from the time I ordered,
Guess they've been swamped.

RP
0 x
Monte Walsh "You have No idea how little I care". :lol:

Ain't No Apologies for My Temperament :shock:
Si vis pacem, para bellum
H001, H006, H012

Team Roper
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Team Roper » Mon Sep 14, 2020 10:15 am

I'm downsizing my man cave and relocating it so I can make room to slide water softener salt down into the basement through the old coal chute. Getting to old to carry those 40 pound bags down into the basement. I hate setting back up so part of my work bench might end up being part of a reloading station. Running across many components of brass and bullets I no longer have a need for since I sold off my 338 mag,7mm-08 and some others. Many reloading dies collecting dust as well. Think about that guys. We all get old real quick and if you don't have family to leave all that stuff to, it is a pain having it in the way. I have a front loader on my tractor that might get some use.
1 x
Army Paratrooper
173 rd Airborne Brigade, 2nd/503 rd. Airborne Infantry, Vietnam 66-67, point man, tunnel rat
combat jump 2/67
82 nd Airborne Div. 1st/505th Airborne Infantry, Vietnam, 68, Sniper
jumped with the Army Parachute Team, The Golden Knights.