Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

What did you do at your reloading bench today?

All things reloading here
dasmoeturhead
Cowboy
United States of America

Re: What did you do at your reloading bench today?

Post by dasmoeturhead » Sat Jun 27, 2020 7:06 am

brettitt41 wrote:
Fri Jun 26, 2020 9:21 pm
dasmoeturhead wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 3:13 pm
No more military cartridges for me even if they are a little cheaper. You pay for it on the other end by having to swage out the primer pocket staking.
Keep an eye out at your favorite reloading supplier, I like Midsouth, for virgin Lake city 5.56 brass. Never primed no crimp, a perfect case. That's what I use for my competition loads.
I bought a case of Wolf gold .223 loaded ammo in 2014. 500 of the rounds are in magazines, and have never been fired. The other 500 I've loaded at least 4 times. I've only had to throw away 5 or 6 due to case splitting at the neck. Darn good brass. Once I finish the current handloading for the current batch, I'll give the carbine a break, and start shooting the AK more. Not sure if I want to reload for the 7.62x39 since ammo is so cheap. The reloader in me says yes, but as much as I shoot I'd be at the bench all the time. Cheers
0 x
I'm a Ship that can't be Salvaged!

dasmoeturhead
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by dasmoeturhead » Sat Jun 27, 2020 7:50 am

Today the bench will be a firearms cleaning station.
0 x

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Sat Jun 27, 2020 10:00 am

dasmoeturhead wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 7:06 am
brettitt41 wrote:
dasmoeturhead wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 3:13 pm
No more military cartridges for me even if they are a little cheaper. You pay for it on the other end by having to swage out the primer pocket staking.
Keep an eye out at your favorite reloading supplier, I like Midsouth, for virgin Lake city 5.56 brass. Never primed no crimp, a perfect case. That's what I use for my competition loads.
I bought a case of Wolf gold .223 loaded ammo in 2014. 500 of the rounds are in magazines, and have never been fired. The other 500 I've loaded at least 4 times. I've only had to throw away 5 or 6 due to case splitting at the neck. Darn good brass. Once I finish the current handloading for the current batch, I'll give the carbine a break, and start shooting the AK more. Not sure if I want to reload for the 7.62x39 since ammo is so cheap. The reloader in me says yes, but as much as I shoot I'd be at the bench all the time. Cheers
Thought about doing the same but by the time you get set up with trimmer ,Dies, and the rest Im not sure its worth it for no more that I shoot mine. I did get some Federal American Eagle loads for mine and they feed in my gun alot better than the russian stuff. Its more expensive but it sure does work good.
1 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

dasmoeturhead
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by dasmoeturhead » Sat Jun 27, 2020 5:34 pm

BigAl52 wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 10:00 am
dasmoeturhead wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 7:06 am
brettitt41 wrote:

Thought about doing the same but by the time you get set up with trimmer ,Dies, and the rest Im not sure its worth it for no more that I shoot mine. I did get some Federal American Eagle loads for mine and they feed in my gun alot better than the russian stuff. Its more expensive but it sure does work good.
Yeah sometimes your time is more valuable than sitting at the bench. I'm old school, and still use a rock chucker, and that thing will wear you out if your loading 300 rounds at a time. I've looked at those Dillons, and I really should look again. I load a ton of .223. I just feel I get a better cartridge on the single stage. It gives you time to inspect every round multiple times which I do. I'm knocking on wood here (my head), but I've never had an accident with any of my hand loads.
You got me thinking in a round about way about them progressive machines. It be nice. No doubt. This rock chucker I have was my Dads. It has Spit out a few rounds in its day, but Dad never loaded a Semi-auto cartridge except the 1911 .45acp. My brother and I shoot the same guns pretty much, and we both use the rock chucker. I guess we like pain LOL.
0 x

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Sat Jun 27, 2020 5:57 pm

I have 3 Dillons all Square D. They only load pistol calibers. I have a Rock Chucker also. I looked at getting a Redding Turret or a Lyman turret so I could leave my dies in turret collars. But When I load I do all my 45 colt and the bigger calibers on the Single stage. I only use the Dillons for 45 acp 40 S&W and 357. I dont even load 9mm. Not only is the time at the bench a factor but those little bullets are a pain to get in a Dillon press straight. The cases are also so short one needs to not be to speedy with the handle and use an easy motion or the powder will splash out the top of the case. I single stage 223 for the AR just do 100 rounds at a time. If I had to buy a new setup I would for sure get a turret. Its nice having the Square D for the pistol calibers. Especially the 40. I have a Ruger PC Carbine in 40 and its a blast to shoot. Like it as well as the AR's
0 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

dasmoeturhead
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by dasmoeturhead » Sat Jun 27, 2020 6:35 pm

I hear ya Al about them small bullets. Sounds like you've got it going on in the reloading game. That's great. My bench and equipment gets it done, but slow. One can dream though, Roger?
0 x

Rifletom
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by Rifletom » Sat Jun 27, 2020 7:58 pm

I've been loading on my RCBS rockchukar since '77-'78. Works well for my needs. Keep thinking about a Lee turret like RR bought. Maybe. I have plenty of time, so, the single stage serves me well. I just load 50 rounds, take a break, load some more.
If I'm loading for my 30-06 or 30-30, 20 will do. Hey, almost 5:00 pm, time for a beer or two or........!
0 x

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Sat Jun 27, 2020 10:05 pm

dasmoeturhead wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 6:35 pm
I hear ya Al about them small bullets. Sounds like you've got it going on in the reloading game. That's great. My bench and equipment gets it done, but slow. One can dream though, Roger?
Yes sir Roger that. What it all boils down to is you just need to do what works for you.
0 x

H001T .22LR
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

Keystone
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by Keystone » Sat Jun 27, 2020 10:34 pm

Got my reloading bench coming together tonight. I mounted my Hornady classic press to my mount. Assembled my powder measure and mounted it as well. I just need to affix the mount to my bench when I figure out just where I want it.

Next step buying some consumables and safely figuring out how to load shells. Been reading and watching videos for months so I’m not extremely concerned. I’m going to go slowly and one step at a time.

I’m sure I’ll drive you folks crazy with questions. Apologies in advance.
0 x

Grunt67
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Grunt67 » Sun Jun 28, 2020 12:33 am

I used a RCBS Jr. for decades. Finally bought a Forster CoAx press. Best money ever spent on reloading equipment. Single stage, but more speed & ease. Still weigh each charge on my old Lyman scale. Check it with a set of check weights. Never had a bad one. It's slow, but reliable. Old school here to the max.
Whatever works for you, use it.
0 x
I rarely ever buy a rifle, but when I do, it's a Henry.

"Every day above ground, is a good day" ( Al Capone )