Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Portable Reloading Press

All things reloading here
Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Re: New RCBS Single Stage Reloading Press

Post by Mistered » Sat Dec 21, 2019 4:03 pm

a loose fit between the receiver and the shaft inserted will introduce play that may or may not prove to be worrisome
The more I think about it the less of a problem it will be.
The effort of the press will be forward and DOWN and the receiver tube will 'cant' forward and movement will most likely be negligible.

I may go 'experiment' with this and report on it later.
0 x

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Sat Dec 21, 2019 4:10 pm

looking forward to hearing what your find
0 x

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Sat Dec 21, 2019 5:14 pm

Originally I believe you stated you wanted something to take to the range is that correct? While this thread has continued I now get the picture you want it to go along with you in the RV. The idea for the hitch is no doubt the most solid of any thats been discussed. But for me that stand would be the way I would go because the weather wouldnt control whether I reload or not. You could reload inside the RV.
1 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Sat Dec 21, 2019 6:41 pm

looking forward to hearing what your find
I did a little 'mockup' with some receiver tube.
Conclusion is no problems and the little bit of side to side movement will never be noticed unless you actually moved the press side to side.
Using the press normally it will be nearly as solid as mounted on a bench.
0 x

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Sat Dec 21, 2019 6:43 pm

great to hear .... thanks for checking it
0 x

Cofisher
Drover
United States of America

Post by Cofisher » Sat Dec 21, 2019 7:32 pm

Hey Jim, the 300 WBY resizing issue is solved by carrying presized cases. Do that at home, carry what you need with you.
0 x
Remember, it's not how many guns you have. It's how many bullets you have.

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Sat Dec 21, 2019 7:51 pm

10-4 that's most certainly true of our 300 WBY .... its not our only big boomer and the same would be true for all of them as well .... my idea is to come up with a portable operation capable of loading all of our ammo ....that doesn't change the fact that we make every effort to leave with a good bit more ammo that we will burn .... if I can come up with a rig capable of loading 300 WBY's, the equipment will handle every caliber we have
0 x

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Mon Dec 30, 2019 8:53 am

I'm still mentally working my way through a portable reloading setup .... does anyone have any experience using a Lee Perfect Powder Measure ===> https://www.cabelas.com/product/Lee-Per ... s?slotId=6 .... it has an attractive price point and 4 Star ratings on both Cabela's and Amazon
0 x

CT_Shooter
Administrator emeritus
United States of America

Post by CT_Shooter » Mon Dec 30, 2019 10:24 am

I have one and use it with Universal, Unique, and HP-38. It's very consistent with those powders, only varying about .1 grs, and I weigh every 10th round on my digital scale just to be sure. I'm also careful to work it exactly the same way for each throw; tapping the side twice after the powder drops and again after it is thrown. It doesn't work well with H110 because it flows like water and leaks freely from the PPM. I use a homemade dipper for that powder.
JEBar wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 8:53 am
I'm still mentally working my way through a portable reloading setup .... does anyone have any experience using a Lee Perfect Powder Measure ===> https://www.cabelas.com/product/Lee-Per ... s?slotId=6 .... it has an attractive price point and 4 Star ratings on both Cabela's and Amazon
0 x
H006M Big Boy Brass .357 - H001 Classic .22LR - Uberti / Taylors & Co. SmokeWagon .357 5.5" - Uberti / Taylors & Co. RanchHand .22LR 5.5"

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Mon Dec 30, 2019 2:51 pm

CT_Shooter wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 10:24 am
I have one and use it with Universal, Unique, and HP-38. It's very consistent with those powders, only varying about .1 grs, and I weigh every 10th round on my digital scale just to be sure. I'm also careful to work it exactly the same way for each throw; tapping the side twice after the powder drops and again after it is thrown. It doesn't work well with H110 because it flows like water and leaks freely from the PPM. I use a homemade dipper for that powder

info most certainly appreciated ..... good to hear it works well with Unique .... not so good to hear it doesn't do well with H110 ..... they are the two powders we use the most .... our decades old RCBS handles both well .... may have to spend the extra money and buy another RCBS
0 x