Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Portable Reloading Press

All things reloading here
JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Portable Reloading Press

Post by JEBar » Fri Dec 20, 2019 1:20 pm

has anyone seen the new RCBS is offering a new Summit™ Single Stage Reloading Press (link below) .... it appears to me that it cold be setup as a portable press .... I'm interested in coming up with a compact, EASY TO USE, press that I could take and use at a range when developing a new load

https://www.rcbs.com/presses/single-stage/16-9290.html
1 x

Ojaileveraction
Cowboy
United States of America

Re: New RCBS Single Stage Reloading Press

Post by Ojaileveraction » Fri Dec 20, 2019 1:28 pm

You should get an Arbor press bullet seater for your Range load Developement.
No need for clamps.
Last edited by Ojaileveraction on Fri Dec 20, 2019 1:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Pax at Justitia

Ojaileveraction
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Ojaileveraction » Fri Dec 20, 2019 1:42 pm

The benchrest guys prep their cases the bring one of those battery powered auto powder dispensers and an Arbore press seater to finish development.
Thinking about it it would speed my development up.
0 x
Pax at Justitia

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Fri Dec 20, 2019 1:59 pm

Interesting, trim design - I hope to see one soon.

HOWEVER - you can probably find a good, used 'JR' press for a 1/4 or less in price and you wouldn't be so 'inhibited' on any mods or adaptations to make it portable.

IF for any reason your 'portable' system does not work out you are not out much.
0 x

JEBar
United States of America

Portable Reloading Press

Post by JEBar » Fri Dec 20, 2019 3:08 pm

in addition to range work, I'd like to be able to transport it during our travels for use along the way .... in addition to a powder drop, and a few other accessories in as small of a box as possible .... the idea that has been bouncing around in my head is the box could be board to mount them .... the box could then be clamped to a campground's picnic table .... such a setup could drastically reduce the amount of loaded ammo I need to transport and give me something I enjoy doing during slower days
1 x

Rifletom
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Portable Reloading Press

Post by Rifletom » Fri Dec 20, 2019 3:30 pm

That's an interesting design RCBS has come up with. Looks tough as heck. I also like Mistered's idea on the "JR".
Economical thinking there.
0 x

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Portable Reloading Press

Post by Mistered » Fri Dec 20, 2019 3:43 pm

I would have liked to see a quick change die system on this press similar to the one on my Bonanza Co-Ax press.

It is literally nothing more than a machined recess in the head of the press where a die with a standard 7/8 locknut on it can be simply slid in and out of the recess as changes are needed. There is an adjustable spring loaded ball bearing 'detent' to secure the die but that's it. This could have easily been designed into the head of this press.

If you have ever used a press with a quick change die system you would probably never go back to a thread in/out style.

My Rock Chucker press only gets used for resizing rifle brass now (and occasionally pulling bullets) and the Co-Ax gets used for everything else.
0 x

JEBar
United States of America

Portable Reloading Press

Post by JEBar » Fri Dec 20, 2019 4:00 pm

Mistered wrote:
Fri Dec 20, 2019 1:59 pm
HOWEVER - you can probably find a good, used 'JR' press for a 1/4 or less in price and you wouldn't be so 'inhibited' on any mods or adaptations to make it portable.
in looking at alternatives, the RCBS looks promising .... I like the weight / size ....

RCBS Partner O-Frame Cast Aluminum Single Stage Press --- 12 x 10 x 3 inches ; 4.54 pounds

https://www.amazon.com/RCBS-87460-Partn ... 713&sr=8-1
0 x

TMB
Cowhand
United States of America

Portable Reloading Press

Post by TMB » Fri Dec 20, 2019 4:03 pm

Mistered is correct on the cost of a RCBS JR. I have a JR2 and it only cost me $30. I plan to bolt it to a 2" x 12" x 24" white oak plank so it can be clamped to a table. This gives it strength and portability.
0 x
Henry H004ES Golden Boy Eagle Scout Tribute
Henry H004 Golden Boy .22 cal
Henry H006C Big Boy Classic .45 Colt

"If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're doing something wrong.” ... John Gierach

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Portable Reloading Press

Post by Mistered » Fri Dec 20, 2019 4:17 pm

You might even look into something from LEE for your intended purpose - incidental, limited etc.

Some LEE stuff gets pretty good reviews and you might find something used for an even better deal than RCBS.
0 x