Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Sorting brass

All things reloading here
Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Re: Sorting brass

Post by Mags » Thu Nov 14, 2019 12:28 pm

Actually the Lake City arsenal head stamp was the perplexing part. A lookup showed that it was initially run by Remington, later others and currently Northrop Grumman Innovation Systems. My head scratcher was 'why would Federal market someone else's military grade ammo instead of their own?' More lookup since; Federal doesn't appear to manage any of the arsenals, I guess that means to sell legit military grade ammo they have to acquire it from one of the arsenals, run by someone else.

I brought up the OAL to see what responses would come of it. You might remember from older posts that I was having bolt seizure troubles with my Long Ranger (ammo wouldn't fully seat in the chamber). HenryCS took care of that with a bolt lockup adjustment, but in seeing this ammo like this, got me to thinking if maybe it was part of the seize up issue. Still have some boxes of this ammo. I got it for a good price. Mostly now shoot Federal Black (bulk).
Mistered wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 6:08 am
no caliber stamp. Which is somewhat perplexing
I don't know about the 'perplexing' part and Like I said this is typical for military brass.
Worst OAL 2.267 and best 2.247.
Again not untypical for military ammo.
It ain't match grade stuff.
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Thu Nov 14, 2019 12:41 pm

My head scratcher was 'why would Federal market someone else's military grade ammo instead of their own?'
They probably got it dirt cheap - cheaper than they could produce it for.
but in seeing this ammo like this, got me to thinking if maybe it was part of the seize up issue.
Could have been.
While 'technically' dimensionally the same as .223 Rem variations do exist and military brass is typically thicker than non-Military brass and some rifle Mfgs. will specify to shoot only .223 Rem (non-military) in their guns. Rim thickness and diameter variances are a reality as well.
If you look on your Federal ammo box it has the abbreviation 'MSR' in the upper right corner (over the 'obvious' rifle) which stands for "modern sporting rifle' which kinda sorta tells me they are 'suggesting' what this ammo should be used for.

I would not shoot military brass out of your LR. It deserves better.
Quality factory .223 or good reloads.
0 x

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Thu Nov 14, 2019 12:57 pm

In my previous line of work, building some of our products to military spec, meant meeting tighter tolerances and the higher mil spec quality control. I had assumed that would be the case with military grade ammo. I'm reading that isn't the case.
Mistered wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 12:41 pm
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Thu Nov 14, 2019 1:03 pm

I had assumed that would be the case with military grade ammo.
Maybe with some specific Military ammo (sniper, special unit use etc.) but not with high capacity, field grade infantry ammo.
0 x

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Thu Nov 14, 2019 1:28 pm

Thanks for the education on this. Appreciate it truly!
0 x

clovishound
Drover
United States of America

Post by clovishound » Fri Nov 15, 2019 9:51 am

Well, milspec 1911s are generally the base models. The higher end models have better triggers, adjustable sights, match grade barrels etc etc. They are not going to go the expensive to equip all the troops with the high end pistols. They just want them to be fairly durable and easy to work on.
0 x
There is, I think, humor here which does not translate well from English to sanity. - Sanya

tarbe
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by tarbe » Sun Nov 24, 2019 9:34 am

As has been stated earlier, in so many words...your loading practices are dictated somewhat by the use the ammo will be put to.

When I was loading my ammo for my Cape Buffalo hunt, you better believe each case had exactly the same prep and provenance.

Practice ammo, not so much.

Low pressure plinking ammo, just make sure there are no splits and the primers don't fall out! :)
1 x
USMC 1976 - 1980 0351

Henry H010
Henry H010CC
Savage M99 308 (born in '57 like me!)
Browning M53 32-20
336 30-30
No 1 300 H&H
No 1 375 H&H
1895 30-40 Krag
Ruger American 308
Several Nasty Black Rifles :o

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Sun Nov 24, 2019 9:38 am

tarbe wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 9:34 am
Low pressure plinking ammo, just make sure there are no splits and the primers don't fall out! :)

well said .... :lol:
1 x

ponchik
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by ponchik » Tue Jan 07, 2020 2:28 pm

I don't worry too much about pistol cases or 223 that was unloaded through the AR, just like the others said, I just visually inspect each case before sizing. My 308 brass though, I'm a bit more anal about and keep track of that.
0 x