Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Favorite 124 Grain 9mm load?

All things reloading here
Greyhawk
Cowhand
United States of America

Favorite 124 Grain 9mm load?

Post by Greyhawk » Tue Sep 03, 2019 10:26 pm

I have some Berry's 124 grain round nose bullets coming that I'm going to give a try for 9mm. Anyone have a favorite load combination? I do have some 231 powder here, but I'm willing to try something else too. Let me know if you have a favorite recipe! :D
0 x

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Re: Favorite 124 Grain 9mm load?

Post by Mistered » Tue Sep 03, 2019 10:43 pm

I am currently loading 124s with 5 grains of Unique.
When I got my Ruger PCC I wanted a somewhat slower powder to give a somewhat longer burn time to increase velocity out of the carbine.
In general Unique seems to provide optimum velocity overall in the 9mm.
0 x

wingnut
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by wingnut » Wed Sep 04, 2019 10:21 am

4.5g of Universal for RMR's plated 9mm 124g plinkers.

https://www.rmrbullets.com/
0 x
You're born & you die. In between you get to shoot a bunch guns. Kind of sums up life to me. - Colorado Bob

clovishound
Drover
United States of America

Post by clovishound » Wed Sep 04, 2019 11:38 am

Just for info, Hogdgon has data for 124 grain plated, and that load is over their max listing. The listing is for Berry's HBRN, a heavy plated bullet.

Unfortunately, there is very little plated specific data available.

They aren't quite jacketed, and they aren't quite cast. The recommendation of some manufacturers to load to max cast or mid jacketed is too simplistic IMO. There is quite a gap in cast and jacketed data in some calibers/powders, with others having a good deal of overlap. There are even a few that list cast with a higher max than jacketed. Without pressure testing equipment, loading by the manufacturer's recommendation is just a not so well informed guess.
0 x
There is, I think, humor here which does not translate well from English to sanity. - Sanya

wingnut
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by wingnut » Wed Sep 04, 2019 12:19 pm

clovishound wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2019 11:38 am
Just for info, Hogdgon has data for 124 grain plated, and that load is over their max listing. The listing is for Berry's HBRN, a heavy plated bullet.

Unfortunately, there is very little plated specific data available.
Just for info, Greyhawk did not mention the Hollow Base Round Nose (HBRN) bullet. Seems Berry's also makes a flat base. Therefore, I did mention the bullet in my load recommendation. I've seen load manuals from both powder & bullet manufactures differ vastly (+- 2 grains) on specific powders with specific bullets and you want to dicker over 1/10 of a grain of powder for an unspecified bullet? :o
0 x
You're born & you die. In between you get to shoot a bunch guns. Kind of sums up life to me. - Colorado Bob

clovishound
Drover
United States of America

Post by clovishound » Wed Sep 04, 2019 12:43 pm

I was merely pointing out that it was over max for the information of all. Everyone needs to make their own decisions on what is safe to load, and more info is better. I did include the exact bullet which is not the exact same bullet posted. Many of us have a hard and fast rule of never loading over max data listed by the powder, or bullet manufacturer. For those, this is pertinent information.
0 x
There is, I think, humor here which does not translate well from English to sanity. - Sanya

wingnut
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by wingnut » Wed Sep 04, 2019 1:45 pm

clovishound wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2019 12:43 pm
"I was merely pointing out that it was over max for the information of all."
How can you validate that the load for my bullet is "over max" by referencing a load for a different bullet?

"Everyone needs to make their own decisions on what is safe to load, and more info is better. I did include the exact bullet which is not the exact same bullet posted."
That's called extrapolation. It may or may not be valid. Could be considered a SWAG. Therefore, reloaders are told to start low in their testing for their firearm (which has its own variables).

"Many of us have a hard and fast rule of never loading over max data listed by the powder, or bullet manufacturer."
Very limiting. Take the 45 Long for example... I've yet to see a single source use individual data for .451, .452, .453, .454, .455 or .456" lead or jacketed bullets of the same weight yet they make a variety.

"For those, this is pertinent information."
YMMV.
BTW, do you have a favorite load for Greyhawk?
0 x

clovishound
Drover
United States of America

Post by clovishound » Wed Sep 04, 2019 4:14 pm

Sorry, I don't want to get into a contest about this.
1 x

Greyhawk
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Greyhawk » Wed Sep 04, 2019 7:58 pm

Thanks everybody! These are flat based round nosed bullets. I think that I will work up some loads with 231 since I have it and maybe pick up some universal or unique, depending on what's available around here. Appreciate the respectful and yet spirited conversation! Happy Shooting!
1 x

marineimaging
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by marineimaging » Wed Oct 16, 2019 8:57 am

My best load with 124 grain is 5.8 of Power Pistol. I get great cycling in a HiPoint 9mm as well as the Ruger PC9 and all of my pistols.
0 x