Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Thinking about switching back to Universal

All things reloading here
clovishound
Drover
United States of America

Thinking about switching back to Universal

Post by clovishound » Mon Jun 24, 2019 1:26 am

I've been loading 148 grain WCs using Trail Boss for a while now. I love the accuracy and soft recoil. So does the Pup. The only issue I have is that there is such a narrow band loading TB for this bullet. Start is 2.0 and max is 2.3. I'm thinking about going back to my old standby of Universal for this load because it has a much larger spread from start to max. 2.9 to 3.8

I just like the peace of mind of loading in the middle of the band and if I happen to be off by a couple tenths of a grain, I'm still well within the safety zone.

I haven't loaded this with Universal in a while, but I seem to remember it yielded good results. Just not as soft a recoil as TB.

Any thoughts on this? I almost feel like I'm being overly cautious, as I have loaded many thousands of rounds with TB with nothing but good results. Still, there is something to be said for peace of mind.
3 x
There is, I think, humor here which does not translate well from English to sanity. - Sanya

RanchRoper
Forum Ambassador
Canada

Re: Thinking about switching back to Universal

Post by RanchRoper » Mon Jun 24, 2019 6:40 am

I agree. 200gr lead is 6.4 to 8.8 gn of Universal. I am loading 7.0 gn give or take a tenth and never have to worry. Getting good results too.

Worth it in my opinion. Especially with your daughter shooting too.
1 x
1860 Colt SA Richards Conversion Revolver .45C
1860 Henry .45C
1885 High Wall .45C
1820-1840 Frontier Percussion .50
1790-1820 Frontier Flintlock .50

Ohkínohkomit - Shoot skillfully

Old Syko
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Old Syko » Mon Jun 24, 2019 7:25 am

I agree with you both. I don't like being squeezed that tight on tolerances although precision is always my goal. I assume you're loading for 38 or 357. If that is the case WW231 has always been my powder of choice. It meters well and is both versatile and tolerant. With such a small powder capacity left by the deep seating of a WC the slightest variation is noticeable with any charge.
2 x
NRA Life Endowment Member

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Mon Jun 24, 2019 7:41 am

I shot PPC for years and 231 was the powder of choice for a large number of us. It worked very well for me, holding tight enough groups in all my guns to allow me to remain competitive in the various classes: from service revolver and auto, limited to twenty-five yards; to the full on six inch PPC heavy barreled competition revolver over the fifty yard course. The Master Class shooters were routinely forced to determine winners by x ring counts at fifty yards. (Master Class.. 8-) ... Ah, sadly... That was not my ranking... ) :)

I still use 231 for all my handgun needs. Simplifies the loading ...
I load 38, 357, 9mm, 40, and of course, what old Marine wouldn't... 45. :lol:
0 x
You can tell a lot about the character of a man...
by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.

Old Syko
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Old Syko » Mon Jun 24, 2019 10:21 am

I messed up about 6 years ago and ran out of 231. Thought I still had a 24# keg in my magazine but that wasn't what it was. Couldn't get 231 at the time but Tightgroup was available. Made a good substitute and I still load my 45ACP with it. Never tried it with wadcutters though.
0 x

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Mon Jun 24, 2019 10:36 am

I believe folks should use components in which they have total confidence and peace of mind
1 x

Old Syko
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Old Syko » Mon Jun 24, 2019 11:06 am

JEBar wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 10:36 am
I believe folks should use components in which they have total confidence and peace of mind
That's why I have a supply of Blue Dot that may never get used again. ;) Strange stuff.
0 x

Rifletom
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by Rifletom » Mon Jun 24, 2019 2:21 pm

"...and of course, what old Marine wouldn't...45?"
You're darn tottin' Marine! .45 acp!
0 x

clovishound
Drover
United States of America

Post by clovishound » Mon Jun 24, 2019 2:28 pm

I may try a test with P38 as well. I was never impressed with it, but in retrospect, that may have been when I was loading mostly plated, which I have gotten away from. HP38 is probably not the best powder for plated, unless you are willing to load well into jacketed data. I always stayed with the lead data. Universal almost completely overlaps lead and jacketed, which makes it an excellent powder for plated IMO.

Anyway, I have a pound or two of HP38 I picked up when powder was hard to get, and I don't really use it anymore, so I might see if it would work well enough to allow me to use it up. Lots of folks seem to really like it.

And to BOM, if I had to choose one handgun for the range, it would without a doubt be my 1911, in .45 ACP, of course.
0 x
There is, I think, humor here which does not translate well from English to sanity. - Sanya

Old Syko
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Old Syko » Mon Jun 24, 2019 3:50 pm

clovishound wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 2:28 pm
I may try a test with P38 as well. I was never impressed with it, but in retrospect, that may have been when I was loading mostly plated, which I have gotten away from. HP38 is probably not the best powder for plated, unless you are willing to load well into jacketed data. I always stayed with the lead data. Universal almost completely overlaps lead and jacketed, which makes it an excellent powder for plated IMO.

Anyway, I have a pound or two of HP38 I picked up when powder was hard to get, and I don't really use it anymore, so I might see if it would work well enough to allow me to use it up. Lots of folks seem to really like it.

And to BOM, if I had to choose one handgun for the range, it would without a doubt be my 1911, in .45 ACP, of course.
As you may or may not know, HP38 and WW231 are the same powder with only lot to lot variations.
0 x