Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Henry Big Boy 357 Bullet Choice

All things reloading here
Rcwill
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Henry Big Boy 357 Bullet Choice

Post by Rcwill » Mon Jun 17, 2019 12:09 pm

My apologies if this has been covered in other threads. Been experimenting with various powder (Unique, 2400, BE-86, AA7, AA9) and 158 bullet combinations. In all loads, light, mid, heavy, I’m having terrible accuracy with lead bullets (Lasercast, Missouri Bullet Magum Hi-tek, Acme coated) but really good accuracy with all plated, jacketed, and Blue Bullets. Can’t figure out why...but at the point where I just acknowledge that my Henry just doesn’t like lead and I’ll stick with what works. Anyone have similar experience?

At 50 yards the lead “patterns” at around 5+”...plated, jacketed and Blue yields 1.5” if I do my part.
0 x

CT_Shooter
Administrator emeritus
United States of America

Re: Henry Big Boy 357 Bullet Choice

Post by CT_Shooter » Mon Jun 17, 2019 12:15 pm

Welcome to the forum from CT. I've never used a lead bullet, but do use both ZERO brand 158 grain JHPs and JSPs over H110. I like it in both my BBB and my SAA revolver. Several of our members are big fans of 2400 with these bullets. You will get several replies, I'm sure. You will like the company here. Glad you joined us.
Rcwill wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 12:09 pm
My apologies if this has been covered in other threads. Been experimenting with various powder (Unique, 2400, BE-86, AA7, AA9) and 158 bullet combinations. In all loads, light, mid, heavy, I’m having terrible accuracy with lead bullets (Lasercast, Missouri Bullet Magum Hi-tek, Acme coated) but really good accuracy with all plated, jacketed, and Blue Bullets. Can’t figure out why...but at the point where I just acknowledge that my Henry just doesn’t like lead and I’ll stick with what works. Anyone have similar experience?

At 50 yards the lead “patterns” at around 5+”...plated, jacketed and Blue yields 1.5” if I do my part.
0 x
H006M Big Boy Brass .357 - H001 Classic .22LR - Uberti / Taylors & Co. SmokeWagon .357 5.5" - Uberti / Taylors & Co. RanchHand .22LR 5.5"

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Mon Jun 17, 2019 12:25 pm

first, welcome to our forum, delighted to have you join us .... agree with CT, in our BBS 357 we load Rose Distribution 158 gr bullets ===> http://www.rozedist.com/mm5/merchant.mv ... de=ZBJ-38S .... they are cheap and perform really well .... we push them with 14.8 gr of W296 or 15.9 gr of H110 .... our Henry and GP100's like them .... please take a look at our How Many ? thread (link below) and add your Henry to our community's total

http://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic.p ... 494#p99494
0 x

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Mon Jun 17, 2019 12:48 pm

Welcome to the forum from Wickiup Junction, Oregon!
I too have never had consistent accuracy with lead bullets out of my BBB .357.
I wouldn't sweat it too much as long as you do get good accuracy with jacketed or plated.
Some guns simply do not shoot lead well and quite frankly with plated nearly the the same price (or sometimes less) than lead it's really not an issue.
0 x

ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Post by ESquared » Mon Jun 17, 2019 2:04 pm

I just picked up a "Sample Pack" of MBC's 158 gr HiTek "Rangers," as RifleTom vouched for them in combination with 2400. They're a little harder to find on the MBC site, as they're buried on Page 4 of some "Rifle Bullets" category. Tom says he gets better accuracy with them than anything plated, so I'll find out and report back!
0 x
BB Steel .357 | SGC 22LR | LR .308 | CCH 30-30 | BB Brass .45 Colt (Carbine) | Single Shot 20 gauge | Single Shot .223 | Single Shot 357

Rifletom
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by Rifletom » Mon Jun 17, 2019 2:07 pm

Rcwill wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 12:09 pm

Hmm. I've had very good accuracy with 158 XTP's/2400 combo. So-so accuracy with 158gr plated. Go figure! I've also had very good accuracy with RNFP coated bullets from Missouri. Like Mistered mentions, some rifles like lead, some rifles don't. Even same makes and models. Like you, I use Unique and 2400. Head scratching indeed. Hope you get it figured out. Keep us informed please. BTW, WELCOME!
0 x

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Mon Jun 17, 2019 2:53 pm

I have not had as much experience shooting lead out of rifles as I have pistol but a while back I bought a 100, 165 gr .30 caliber to try in my various Winchesters and all three shot them equally as bad ! Inconsistent is the best description - a couple shots like match accuracy then the next several all over the target and I am definitely doing my part!
I think consistency is the biggest problem with cast in that they will vary In size and in hardness from one to another. I am sure if one could take the time to cast their own, properly slug the barrel & test fire different sizes and weights good accuracy could eventually be obtained but it will be a crap shoot (no pun intended!) with commercially cast bullets.
0 x

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Mon Jun 17, 2019 8:52 pm

Welcome from the TV Oregon.
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Mon Jun 17, 2019 11:55 pm

Ive shot plenty of lead out of 357 and I just am tired of the lead thing. Like JEBar says roze dist and zero bullets. There about the same money as lead and they shoot great for range work. I use them all the time.
0 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

Old Syko
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Old Syko » Tue Jun 18, 2019 12:31 am

JEBar wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 12:25 pm
we push them with 14.8 gr of W296 or 15.9 gr of H110
????? WW296 and H110 are the same powder. This comes straight from Hodgdon. I think Phil was the first to pass on this info some time ago. Granted there may be differences from one lot to the next as there is with any powder but they are the same powder. I've never seen a lot to lot difference that varied more than about 3 tenths of a grain in comparability.

I'm yet to find a similar gun that couldn't be made to shoot lead. Some may take a bit more effort than others to discover what the issue is but that's the same for shooting jackets accurately also. In the OPs case I would start by checking the bore to see that is properly lapped and then slug it to insure proper bullet sizing that will allow for proper obturation. From there you need to make sure you have the correct twist rate for the bullet bearing surface you're trying to use. And so on. As I say, it can be done. but sometimes it takes a little effort.
1 x
NRA Life Endowment Member