All things reloading here
Hrfunk
Cowhand
United States of America

Re: A Nice Quiet .38 Special Load

Post by Hrfunk » Thu Jun 06, 2019 2:33 pm

Mistered wrote: ↑
Thu Jun 06, 2019 1:42 pm
I've had enough raccoon encounters over the years to know they are very hard to kill,
This is very true however and while I prefer a quick kill if those .22 shorts connected you won't be seeing that raccoon again.
I too have shot some .38 target loads out of my .357 BBB but due to the low velocity a head shot would be about the only spot a sure kill could be guaranteed. At these low speeds a hit anywhere else would simply not impart enough shock for a sure kill. 'Coons are a lot tougher than most understand.
While fairly quiet during the day and in the woods I think in the quiet of night and depending on your proximity to other neighbors even a target load might still be loud enough to cause concern if heard.
This is of course if it is even legal to discharge a firearm in your area.
So far he hasn't made a return trip. But I think he might have friends and relatives. I'm in the country and the sound of gunfire is not uncommon. Still, my neighbors are close enough that I don't want to wake them or startle them by cranking off a cannon.

Howard
1 x

Mgderf
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Mgderf » Fri Jun 07, 2019 7:00 am

Since I live in a city setting, and gunfire is highly frowned upon, my coon response method is not quite deadly, but most effective at deterring their return.
I use either .36cal or .44cal round balls for a muzzle loader and I launch them from a wrist rocket type sling-shot.
They don't penetrate, but they do pack a wallop and make the intruders think twice about returning.

If you can't find lead balls, a bag of kids marbles work just fine.
Don't discount a wrist rocket.
They can be VERY useful.
2 x

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Fri Jun 07, 2019 10:56 am

mine too. but then most of us have cannons and we startle each other now then anyway.
Hrfunk wrote: ↑
Thu Jun 06, 2019 2:33 pm
... my neighbors are close enough that I don't want to wake them or startle them by cranking off a cannon.
Howard
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

roddy
Cowhand
Canada

Post by roddy » Fri Jun 07, 2019 11:36 pm

I don't know if this will be of any help, but I'll throw it out there... I don't reload, but I have tried a few factory .38 Spl loads in my .357 Timber Wolf. One in particular that jumps to mind as being on the quiet side is the Blazer Brass .38 Spl load. It has a 125 grain projectile rated at 865 fps from a 4" barrel. The barrel on the Timber Wolf is ~18", and I was happy to see it remains subsonic despite the longer barrel. Rather than the sharp BANG! of a .357, it is more of a POCK! Still may be a little loud at oh-dark-thirty.
I have had good success with 'coons at relatively close range with the CCI 'Quiet-22' Segmented round. Head shot and they stiffen up, flop over and kick for a few seconds, then it's done.
0 x

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Sat Jun 08, 2019 6:30 am

Get a stamp for a suppressor. :D
I have been wanting to... Just never got off my butt.
Then the big decision is in which caliber. :o
2 x
You can tell a lot about the character of a man...
by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.

GaHenryFan
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by GaHenryFan » Fri Aug 30, 2019 9:59 pm

I've got a 45 colt load that's as quiet as an air rifle. I guarantee you he won't shrug it off. 😁
0 x

Rifletom
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by Rifletom » Mon Sep 02, 2019 10:18 am

GaHenryFan wrote: ↑
Fri Aug 30, 2019 9:59 pm
I've got a 45 colt load that's as quiet as an air rifle. I guarantee you he won't shrug it off. 😁
Details please.
To the OP; 2.8gr "Clays" and a 158gr cast bullet should work out of your rifle.
0 x

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Mon Sep 02, 2019 11:03 am

Shot placement is everything!
Last year we had a really pesky, ( large ) coon in the yard. Probably at least 20 pounds. It was dark, probably about 11:00 PM.
I went out with my trusty Sheridan Pump. Put about 7 pumps in it. Held my small but very bright flashlight under the forearm.
When he looked at me from a low branch in the Japanese maple, his eyes lit up like fibre optics. From about 25 yards away, Got him right between the eyes. Instant kill, as he was draped over the branch the next morning.
True story, no exageration.
I got lucky I guess because I know how tough they are. At least it was definitely a humane kill.
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

GaHenryFan
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by GaHenryFan » Mon Sep 02, 2019 12:07 pm

Rifletom wrote: ↑
Mon Sep 02, 2019 10:18 am
GaHenryFan wrote: ↑
Fri Aug 30, 2019 9:59 pm
Details please.
1 grain of bullseye held in place with a polypropylene wad and a lubed 140 grain pure lead round ball seated as deep as it will go in the case. It's hearing safe and smacks like a sledge hammer.
0 x

Rifletom
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by Rifletom » Mon Sep 02, 2019 12:51 pm

Thanks for the come back GaHenryFan. Interesting load you have there.
0 x