Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Heads Up for You Wet Tumblers!

All things reloading here
Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Re: Heads Up for You Wet Tumblers!

Post by Mistered » Tue Aug 27, 2019 12:05 am

because I haven't run across an article or heard anyone discuss the benefits using a tumbler in the reloading case preparation process.
Apparently you have not read this thread complety as there are many posts with pictures discussing the benefits of tumbling.
The steps you describe such as reaming the primer pockets, cleaning witn a Q tip and polishing the brass with steel wool are all accomplished during the tumbling process (either liquid or dry - but I prefer liquid and wish I would have switched to it long before I did!)
Again however if you are comfortable with what you are doing by all means stick witn it but I sure like dumping those bright and shiny, new looking cases onto the towel to dry - and them being done!
2 x

mrguvna
Wrangler
United States of America

Post by mrguvna » Wed Aug 28, 2019 10:47 am

I quit using the dawn a while back and have switched to using a carwash soap with carnuba wax I think it is the turtle wax variety. It does a much better job and leaves a nice shiny surface with the wax, does not tend to tarnish during the drying phase.
1 x

AMraider
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by AMraider » Sun Sep 01, 2019 11:25 pm

I read this thread with great interest. My sonic cleaner just doesn't clean the brass as well as I would like although it does a great job of cleaning clock works and gun parts. So I bought the Harbor Freight tumbler and GunTap powder and pins. This was my first batch with 20 min of run time. Clean inside and out. I'm sold!
Attachments
Tum2.jpg
Tum2.jpg (126.69 KiB) Viewed 1242 times
Tum1.jpg
Tum1.jpg (196.13 KiB) Viewed 1242 times
Tum3.jpg
Tum3.jpg (179.79 KiB) Viewed 1242 times
2 x

ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Post by ESquared » Sun Sep 01, 2019 11:41 pm

There ya go! Glad it worked as advertised and that you're happy with the outcome. Another half-hour and they would really shine, but that's very nice for 20 mins. I may have to try a shorter cycle myself.

Thanks for sharing!
1 x
BB Steel .357 | SGC 22LR | LR .308 | CCH 30-30 | BB Brass .45 Colt (Carbine) | Single Shot 20 gauge | Single Shot .223 | Single Shot 357

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Mon Sep 02, 2019 12:26 am

Clean inside and out. I'm sold!
Yea neat ain't it?
When you are out of the guntap powder get a bottle of dollar tree lemon juice and throw about a 'shot' of it in the water along with a squirt of Dawn and tumble about an hour or so.
Make sure your sunglasses are on when you dump out the brass!
1 x