Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

The Most Arrogant And Condescending Post Denouncing Reloading I Have Ever Read.

All things reloading here
Cattle Driver
Australia

Re: The Most Arrogant And Condescending Post Denouncing Reloading I Have Ever Read.

Post by 220 » Thu May 16, 2019 7:43 am

MJ151 wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 1:37 am
I put 200-300 45 colt loads down range almost every week. My loads cost $.17 per round not counting brass and I get 20+ reloads per stick. Factory 45 colt runs in my area about $.75- $1 per round. So I could spend $300 every week or $51. It take me less than an hour to turn out 300 round on my Dillon 550. Even factoring in the Dillon, it doesn't take long to pay that off several times over. But in all honesty, there is no way I could afford $300 a week in ammo. So not only do I shoot more by reloading I do it for a lot less. I run Unique because it's economical, I buy bulk bullets from Bayou Bullets and primes by the case. All of this drives down the cost per round. I use to do it all on a single stage and that took all week to make up the three hundred rounds, hence the Dillon. My time was worth that purchase alone.
For a fair comparison you really need to factor in brass and equipment cost, what is 45 brass how many reloads do you get, really you could add another 3c with just them to your 17c.
If you were shooting factory you would be buying in bulk just like your reloading components 60c a shot would be more realistic price so the comparison then becomes $180 to $60. Shooting factory you also have the option to sell your once fired brass and narrow it even further.

I am not anti reloading last time I started adding up what I have in my reloading room I stopped when I got to $5k
I reload for everything I have. Have even reloaded BP 22lr just because I could but I think most shooter fool themselves on what they are actually saving. No doubt there are savings to be made for some and when you view it as part of a hobby or a hobby in its self then the cost doesnt have to be justified.
Unless shooting is a business for you, then it is hard to argue for factoring time/labour, I will say though all the professional shooters I know none reload, for them the time has to be taken into account because it is a cost and when it is purchasing factory ammo is the cheapest option.
0 x

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Re: The Most Arrogant And Condescending Post Denouncing Reloading I Have Ever Read.

Post by BrokenolMarine » Thu May 16, 2019 8:36 am

I have to chime in. When I was shooting PPC, I shot around ten to twelve thousand rounds per year split between thirty eight and forty five, with a bit of forty in the mix. If I hadn't been reloading, there would have been no way I would have been able to afford to shoot the year long circuit. I did choose to buy 223 ammo in bulk as the amount that I shot didn't justify the purchase of the toolhead, dies, and caliber conversion kit to reload.

As far as professional shooters and reloading, I can only speak from personal experience. The professional shooters I associated with over the past thirty years that actually shot in high volume? They either reloaded or were sponsored and didn't have to pay for their own ammo. Most were sponsored. Nice when you don't have to expend time OR money. :P
1 x
You can tell a lot about the character of a man...
by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.

deano5150
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by deano5150 » Thu May 16, 2019 8:43 am

I wonder how much money (time) the poster wasted thinking about and posting that topic?
0 x

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Thu May 16, 2019 8:55 am

I wonder how much money (time) the poster wasted thinking about and posting that topic?
Well probably not much but after realizing he was largely in part 'overruled' his final post was priceless - and spoke volumns:

False on every point. Not interested in arguing about it. Yes, you are getting rich reloading. About to order a Dillon 650 and some Amway while I'm at it...
1 x

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Thu May 16, 2019 9:22 am

I forget what the savings were exactly, but there were a group of us shooting PPC that bought supplies in bulk. A sergeant from Richmond Pd and one from our department would take a dually pickup and enclosed trailer to GA and pick up the bulk order... Hundreds of thousands of bullets and primers, several hundred pounds of powder, and various accessories. Twice a year. Buy in bulk, additional savings.

I know my cost for thirty eight semi-wadcutters was about a third of factory, and my load was matched to my PPC gun. My 45 loads were matched to my P220 and my 1911. Saved at least half the cost of factory. Friends always wanted to "buy a couple hundred rounds."
Not.
0 x
You can tell a lot about the character of a man...
by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.

Rifletom
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by Rifletom » Thu May 16, 2019 9:45 am

I like to handload. Relaxing, taking my time. I started years ago because I couldn't find 7x57 ammo all the time[1977 to present] and recently, for the .45 Colt. Factory .45 Colt ammo is expensive. I handload for all firearms save for .22lr and shotgun. It's a hobby. One I totally enjoy. My time, my leisure. Think I'll handload some 30-30 today.
0 x

Firefly
Tenderfoot
Great Britain

Post by Firefly » Thu May 16, 2019 10:01 am

You are dead right the poster is a complete Pratt. Reloading is not about cost it is about consistency, most if not all target shooters reload to get ammunition trailered to their own gun that will shoot very small groups every time, if you want tight groups you don't want factory amunition
it is inconsistent.
0 x

RanchRoper
Forum Ambassador
Canada

Post by RanchRoper » Thu May 16, 2019 10:13 am

And what's the deal with those side loading gate rifles?.... :D
1 x
1860 Colt SA Richards Conversion Revolver .45C
1860 Henry .45C
1885 High Wall .45C
1820-1840 Frontier Percussion .50
1790-1820 Frontier Flintlock .50

Ohkínohkomit - Shoot skillfully

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Thu May 16, 2019 1:03 pm

The "Pratt" got more mileage on this forum than the other and doesn't even know it :lol:
Oh the things that get under our duster that get the dust up!
1 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Thu May 16, 2019 1:06 pm

All good points.

I only posted that because I see a few here getting started in reloading and just thought it would be humorous for some to read - and it was for me.

I 'll admit I got sucked into responding but I felt I had to as the OP was so far off and I (as well as many others) had some rational and objective points to make about reloading.

I can think of MANY other pursuits, that are vastly more expensive and time consuming - and are considered 'hobbies' !
0 x