Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

The Most Arrogant And Condescending Post Denouncing Reloading I Have Ever Read.

All things reloading here
Mistered
Drover
United States of America

The Most Arrogant And Condescending Post Denouncing Reloading I Have Ever Read.

Post by Mistered » Wed May 15, 2019 7:12 pm

This is from another forum - I didn't know whether to laugh or respond respectfully and rationally. (I responded):

Ah, the false economy of reloading. I get a laugh every time. Reloaders conveniently never factor the equipment, storage space, learning curves, setup, time, voided gun warranties, and the cost of the "kabooms" that are more common with reloads and almost never with factory ammo (and factory ammo companies or the gun companies will replace the gun). [Reloaders never have "kabooms" yet nearly every "kaboom" story shared on the internet involves a reload.]

And then there's the known false economy of taking valuable components (time, primers, brass, powder, and bullet) and using expensive equipment to churn out items of ZERO economic resale value. Nobody smart will shoot or buy someone's reloads. So if you spent $5000 turning out ammo, and have a huge hoard of ammo, but fall on hard economic times, you will be unable to sell it at any price. Conversely, if someone has the same amount of factory ammo, he can sell it for basically market price and it might appreciate over time. I bought thousands of rounds of various ammo a decade or two ago, and they have doubled in value. The same is not true for the reloader.

If it's your "hobby" then fine. Stop pretending you're 'saving money' because if you are employable, you likely are not saving money sitting at a reloading press.

I've done the math. Honest reloaders will tell you they don't save money; they just enjoy it.

I guess if you remove the "time value of money" then I can shoot for free. I just work a bunch (not factored of course) then buy the ammo with my earned wages (not factored) and it's magically free from the time I worked and wages I earned.

Heck, pretty much everything in life is free if you don't factor your time. Fishing, walking across country instead of flying, farming is free, working is free, driving is free... it's a stupid thing to state, yet reloaders never manage to factor their time.
1 x

wingnut
Cowhand
United States of America

Re: The Most Arrogant And Condescending Post Denouncing Reloading I Have Ever Read.

Post by wingnut » Wed May 15, 2019 7:43 pm

facepalm2.jpg
facepalm2.jpg (161.2 KiB) Viewed 4098 times
2 x
You're born & you die. In between you get to shoot a bunch guns. Kind of sums up life to me. - Colorado Bob

RanchRoper
Forum Ambassador
Canada

Re: The Most Arrogant And Condescending Post Denouncing Reloading I Have Ever Read.

Post by RanchRoper » Wed May 15, 2019 7:50 pm

I like reloading. :D
4 x
1860 Colt SA Richards Conversion Revolver .45C
1860 Henry .45C
1885 High Wall .45C
1820-1840 Frontier Percussion .50
1790-1820 Frontier Flintlock .50

Ohkínohkomit - Shoot skillfully

ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Post by ESquared » Wed May 15, 2019 7:53 pm

Me, too!
1 x
BB Steel .357 | SGC 22LR | LR .308 | CCH 30-30 | BB Brass .45 Colt (Carbine) | Single Shot 20 gauge | Single Shot .223 | Single Shot 357

CT_Shooter
Administrator emeritus
United States of America

Post by CT_Shooter » Wed May 15, 2019 8:17 pm

Me, too.
2 x
H006M Big Boy Brass .357 - H001 Classic .22LR - Uberti / Taylors & Co. SmokeWagon .357 5.5" - Uberti / Taylors & Co. RanchHand .22LR 5.5"

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Wed May 15, 2019 9:11 pm

I got out of reloading because of the time thing, but, absolutely, I think it is more than a bit hypocritical to count time reloading as an expense when this same guy very likely overlooks time shooting at the range as a shooting expense. Don't know anyone who loves shooting that counts time shooting as an expense, or, for that matter, time spent fishing, playing music or any other hobby as an expense. Yeah, way over the top and out of line.
1 x

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Wed May 15, 2019 9:26 pm

I guess I shouldn’t spend $1,000 on a vegetable garden and countless hours to harvest $50 worth of vegetables.
9 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Wed May 15, 2019 10:25 pm

I bet you think about that 2 Gene everytime you go some place and order a sandwich and they put one of those slices of tomato on your sandwich thats light green and hard as rock.
1 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

Ojaileveraction
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Ojaileveraction » Wed May 15, 2019 10:25 pm

Haters be haters.
0 x
Pax at Justitia

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Wed May 15, 2019 10:27 pm

I like to save money reloading and I like to reload.
2 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55