Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

The Most Arrogant And Condescending Post Denouncing Reloading I Have Ever Read.

All things reloading here
Maht_g
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Re: The Most Arrogant And Condescending Post Denouncing Reloading I Have Ever Read.

Post by Maht_g » Sun May 26, 2019 7:09 pm

I definitely save money! I shoot a few expensive rounds if you use factory Ammo. .338 lapua is $3-6 per round, I can load it for around $1... 454 casull, even .45colt is WAY cheaper than buying factory. I spend money of the tools, but have loaded thousands of rounds on the equipment, cost per round is negligible... that first post was pure ignorance...

And I enjoy it! It’s relaxing and fun to work up a load, test it, tweak it... almost as fun as the shooting, for me...
0 x

RanchRoper
Forum Ambassador
Canada

Re: The Most Arrogant And Condescending Post Denouncing Reloading I Have Ever Read.

Post by RanchRoper » Sun May 26, 2019 7:23 pm

I don't quite understand how handloads can be more accurate than factory but that's just my ignorance as a new reloader. The handloads I shot today in my range report were definitely on target.
0 x
1860 Colt SA Richards Conversion Revolver .45C
1860 Henry .45C
1885 High Wall .45C
1820-1840 Frontier Percussion .50
1790-1820 Frontier Flintlock .50

Ohkínohkomit - Shoot skillfully

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Sun May 26, 2019 7:30 pm

RanchRoper wrote:
Sun May 26, 2019 7:23 pm
I don't quite understand how handloads can be more accurate than factory but that's just my ignorance as a new reloader. The handloads I shot today in my range report were definitely on target.
each ammo manufacture produces each of its lines to a set standard .... that standard will work for most firearms but not for all .... loading your own gives you an opportunity to fine tune your ammo to what your firearm likes best
0 x

RanchRoper
Forum Ambassador
Canada

Post by RanchRoper » Sun May 26, 2019 7:34 pm

Well my guns really like 6.6 to 7.0 gn of Universal and a 200 gr LRNFP lead bullet with a Winchester primer. Easy on the guns, easy on the shoulder, accurate and still sends pieces of backboard flying in a hail of wood splinters.
1 x
1860 Colt SA Richards Conversion Revolver .45C
1860 Henry .45C
1885 High Wall .45C
1820-1840 Frontier Percussion .50
1790-1820 Frontier Flintlock .50

Ohkínohkomit - Shoot skillfully

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Sun May 26, 2019 7:45 pm

loading your own gives you an opportunity to fine tune your ammo to what your firearm likes best
Spot on.
The ability to try different powders, bullets & other components is nearly unlimited.
If you want to REALLY test your loads weigh 30 or so bullets and gather 20 that weigh the same (or as close to each other as you can)
Load these rounds with HAND WEIGHED powder charges, and make sure they are seated and all crimped equally and go shoot these in the most consistent manner you can.
You will no doubt see some pretty tight grouping but most of the time this is not needed.
The consistency of careful reloading with good a bullet/powder combo will typically result in groups dramatically tighter than factory ammo.
Also, as I have previously mentioned, the ability to load unique or custom loadings NOT available is priceless.
There is nothing even close to the 30-30 loads I make available 'off the shelf'.
0 x

Shakey Jake
Drover
United States of America

Post by Shakey Jake » Mon May 27, 2019 3:22 pm

I think it mostly depends on the caliber. 9's and 45's probably not saving much by reloading. The same can be said for .223. Reloading .327 Federal Mag, Nosler .22, or similar I'd think you'd better reload.
0 x

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Mon May 27, 2019 4:10 pm

I think it mostly depends on the caliber. 9's and 45's probably not saving much by reloading.
True but even with the cheapest ammo savings will still be about 1/3.
So by keeping components on hand and brass prepped its easy to knock out whatever I think I'll need for a shooting session and not have to drive to the store to get ammo.
Also the components are already paid for so there is the 'psychological' aspect of not having to 'pay' for ammo (per se) at the time.
With as long as I have been reloading I cannot relate to 'buying' ammo as reloading has become a consequence (as well as a convenience) to my interest in shooting.
1 x

GaHenryFan
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by GaHenryFan » Mon May 27, 2019 5:00 pm

RanchRoper wrote:
Sun May 26, 2019 7:34 pm
Well my guns really like 6.6 to 7.0 gn of Universal and a 200 gr LRNFP lead bullet with a Winchester primer. Easy on the guns, easy on the shoulder, accurate and still sends pieces of backboard flying in a hail of wood splinters.
Universal really lives up to it's name. There are loads for it in every caliber I own. You want to talk about saving money? I can load 45-70 with universal and home cast bullets for pennies a round. Mr Arrogant obviously hasn't priced factory 45-70 lately.
0 x

Cattle Driver
Australia

Post by 220 » Mon May 27, 2019 5:39 pm

GaHenryFan wrote:
Mon May 27, 2019 5:00 pm
You want to talk about saving money? I can load 45-70 with universal and home cast bullets for pennies a round. Mr Arrogant obviously hasn't priced factory 45-70 lately.
I think most have completely missed the point Mr Arrogant raised.
If your justification for reloading is purely economic then you need to take your labour into account.

How long did it take you to source the lead, smelt it, cast each bullet, lube it, size it then load it. All well and good if you view it as part of the hobby and have the time.
Now try justifying it for someone who earns $50/hr and is time poor. You cant tell me they are better off taking a day off work to do all that to load a box of 45/70 to save less than they make in 1hr.
0 x

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Mon May 27, 2019 6:05 pm

How long did it take you to source the lead, smelt it, cast each bullet, lube it, size it then load it.
CASTING bullets is a sub-operation of reloading, as well as an additional 'hobby' that is not embraced by all reloaders.
Quite frankly the expense, time and other considerations of casting rule it out for most reloaders and many do not want to shoot cast bullets anyway.
In short casting bullets is NOT a typical part of reloading and cannot be applied to reloading as part of a time and expense consideration.
I know this because I used to cast.
0 x