Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

The Most Arrogant And Condescending Post Denouncing Reloading I Have Ever Read.

All things reloading here
Rifletom
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Re: The Most Arrogant And Condescending Post Denouncing Reloading I Have Ever Read.

Post by Rifletom » Wed Jul 17, 2019 8:32 am

GFK wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 5:59 pm
Thanks everyone for the feedback. I guess I will check out the startup cost and use brass if I decide to proceed. Space is a concern for me as well. But if I decide to proceed, I will figure something out.
This is a genuine concern for some. But, please look at "Thinking of Reloading" right here in the Reloading section by RanchRoper, post #1. That picture could steer you in the right direction. Hope that helps and you can get started.
2 x

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Re: The Most Arrogant And Condescending Post Denouncing Reloading I Have Ever Read.

Post by Mistered » Wed Jul 17, 2019 12:52 pm

I guess I will check out the startup cost and use brass if I decide to proceed.
Well good luck with this!
Proceed cautiously, do your own research but do not ever hesitate to ask questions about any aspect of reloading.
I would like to 'warn' you to be careful of any U-Tube vids about reloading you might decide to watch.
MANY of them are made by well meaning people but unfortunately are based on what THEY use and how THEY go about reloading as opposed to an unbiased and generalized educational approach to it.
2 x

jimbo510
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by jimbo510 » Tue Jul 23, 2019 10:57 pm

Im a new guy here but I have been reloading for about 12 years. You probably never recoup your money because you constantly upgrade equipment and buy gadgets just to try them. I have to say I get a lot of joy and satisfaction from tuning a load to specific rifle and taking deer with rounds I made. Our 9 year old daughter, who is up and down with her interest in shooting, loves making 308 hunting rounds with me. I pretty much set the press up for seating bullets and supply her with primed brass and she does it all , drops a powder charge, trickles in the last little bit, adds powder to brass and seats the bullet. I am right there the whole time and I make sure everything is done right. So with that being said I feel I have gotten my money's worth out of the equipment. The hunting rounds I make are cheaper and just as good as premium store bought ammo but are half the cost to me. But I dont think you safe any real money unless you are a competition shooter and shoot thousands of rounds a year.
2 x

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Tue Jul 23, 2019 11:50 pm

jimbo510 wrote:
Tue Jul 23, 2019 10:57 pm
So with that being said I feel I have gotten my money's worth out of the equipment. The hunting rounds I make are cheaper and just as good as premium store bought ammo but are half the cost to me. But I dont think you safe any real money unless you are a competition shooter and shoot thousands of rounds a year
as several responses in this thread have noted, most of us have a positive return on our investment in several different ways .... for me, the time spent with my sons over 30 or so years, the days I've already spent loading with my grandson and two granddaughters is something that can't be equated to dollars and cents .... in addition, the fact that the bulk of our gear has been in use for pushing 60 years has brought our cost per use way, way down .. :lol:
2 x

clovishound
Drover
United States of America

Post by clovishound » Wed Jul 24, 2019 9:48 am

I've only been loading for about 7 or 8 years, but my equipment cost per round is now ridiculously low. I've probably spent less on reloading gear than I did on my Henry.
1 x
There is, I think, humor here which does not translate well from English to sanity. - Sanya

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Wed Jul 24, 2019 11:50 am

I've only been loading for about 7 or 8 years, but my equipment cost per round is now ridiculously low. I've probably spent less on reloading gear than I did on my Henry.
Same here - and thats with about 42+ years reloading under my belt.

I think a lot of people who get into reloading go way over their head and buy the most expensive, and everything they think (or are told) they need, way more components than they will use in years and suddenly realize they do not know what they did.

On another forum I have recently seen at least two ads for reloading equipment and components for sale, never used, and itemized (one with receipts displayed) at over $2500 !

These purchases were highly unusual however and were most likely based on 'current events' at the time but I have known of many who have spent probably over twice what they needed to begin with and have a lot of unused stuff setting around!
1 x

jimbo510
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by jimbo510 » Wed Jul 24, 2019 11:00 pm

After seeing other ideas about the savings of reloading I think I actually save money due to being able to load high quality ammo for a fraction of the cost buying ammo that would perform the same. I also say I have not saved as much as some because I bought the bare necessities to start with and slowly upgraded over time as my interest grew in the hobby.
1 x

Mgderf
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Mgderf » Sat Jul 27, 2019 5:59 am

The idea that handloading would save money was not a consideration for me.
I hoped to save a bit in the long run, but that was not the ultimate goal.
I did not start loading for more accurate than factory ammo, but that is a huge side benefit.

My biggest reason for starting to handload was ammo availability.
After Sandy Hook I had a very hard time locating certain calibers, especially locally, and prices were skyrocketing.

Price aside, I just wanted to be able to shoot, and not need to take out a mortgage to do so.
Handloading has offered me the opportunity to shoot even when there are market shortages.
I jumped on the loading bandwagon with both feet, but I stayed as frugal as I could.

I bought a Lee Classis single-stage press anniversary kit, which included most everything needed to load, with the exception of dies.
Over the next year or so I added dies to load most every major caliber that I shoot.
I also starting laying in supplies of projectiles, brass, primers, and powders, so the next market shortage will have zero effect on my ability to shoot.

I don't care if I ever see any savings.
I can build my own ammo when I want to shoot.
5 x

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Sat Jul 27, 2019 1:04 pm

After Sandy Hook I had a very hard time locating certain calibers, especially locally, and prices were skyrocketing.
A lot of people had to curtail shooting after Sandy Hook.
I was able to keep shooting because of reloading.
I stocked up very heavily by 2106 for 'possibilities' but that passed.
1 x

Redthies
Cowboy
Canada

Post by Redthies » Sat Jul 27, 2019 1:29 pm

I used to reload. I don’t anymore for a couple of reasons. Mainly, because I sold my gear. If I still had it, I wouldn’t have a ton of time, but could squeak a box or two in once in a while. I think you have to look on it as a “I enjoy it so I do it” type thing. There are advantages to factory ammo, and advantages to reloading. Pick what works for you.
3 x
SGC .22 LR Stripped and oiled up
BBSC .357 w Skinner Express & Patridge
BBSC .44 Magnum with Skinners
Marlin 1895GS .45-70 w RPP Cloverleaf
Marlin 336BL .30-30 w Skinner LoPro 2 and Sig 2-7x
1912 Winchester 1894 .30 WCF