Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

The Most Arrogant And Condescending Post Denouncing Reloading I Have Ever Read.

All things reloading here
GaHenryFan
Cowhand
United States of America

Re: The Most Arrogant And Condescending Post Denouncing Reloading I Have Ever Read.

Post by GaHenryFan » Mon May 27, 2019 6:16 pm

Mistered wrote:
Mon May 27, 2019 6:05 pm
How long did it take you to source the lead, smelt it, cast each bullet, lube it, size it then load it.
CASTING bullets is a sub-operation of reloading, as well as an additional 'hobby' that is not embraced by all reloaders.
Quite frankly the expense, time and other considerations of casting rule it out for most reloaders and many do not want to shoot cast bullets anyway.
In short casting bullets is NOT a typical part of reloading and cannot be applied to reloading as part of a time and expense consideration.
I know this because I used to cast.
You're correct. I do it because I enjoy it. I cast in excess and give them away to my friends and we all enjoy them.
0 x

GaHenryFan
Cowhand
United States of America

Re: The Most Arrogant And Condescending Post Denouncing Reloading I Have Ever Read.

Post by GaHenryFan » Mon May 27, 2019 6:34 pm

220 wrote:
Mon May 27, 2019 5:39 pm
GaHenryFan wrote:
Mon May 27, 2019 5:00 pm
You want to talk about saving money? I can load 45-70 with universal and home cast bullets for pennies a round. Mr Arrogant obviously hasn't priced factory 45-70 lately.
I think most have completely missed the point Mr Arrogant raised.
If your justification for reloading is purely economic then you need to take your labour into account.

How long did it take you to source the lead, smelt it, cast each bullet, lube it, size it then load it. All well and good if you view it as part of the hobby and have the time.
Now try justifying it for someone who earns $50/hr and is time poor. You cant tell me they are better off taking a day off work to do all that to load a box of 45/70 to save less than they make in 1hr.
I don't save money reloading, but I shoot more than I could if I purchased factory ammo. I work 40 hours a week, own my home, and still have time and money to invest in my hobbies. It boils down to priorities. I see your point and his. What I'm doing works well for me, and he's pretty adamant that his works for him.
0 x

Cattle Driver
Australia

Post by 220 » Mon May 27, 2019 10:05 pm

Mistered wrote:
Mon May 27, 2019 6:05 pm
In short casting bullets is NOT a typical part of reloading and cannot be applied to reloading as part of a time and expense consideration.
I know this because I used to cast.
I have about 30 moulds, cast everything from 22-45cal so know exactly what time and costs are involved.
I can cast a better bullet slightly cheaper than I can buy commercial cast but I dont kid myself they are free.
It is no different to me saying I can shoot 10,000 factory rounds cheaper than I can reload the same number because I have 10,000 rounds payed for sitting in my ammo cupboard and if I wanted to reload the same number I would have to spend money buying components.

Shooter want to kid themselves on how much they are really saving by reloading, no one want to compare apples with apples.
Saying my bullets are free because I cast them myself doesnt make it so. No different to me saying my steak dinner was free because I cooked it myself even though I may have paid a small fortune for a prime piece of beef. I had to take time to prepare it cook it, used gas, electricity utensils etc to do so all of which have to be paid for but ignoring them all because I cooked it myself and still claiming it was free.
1 x

Jdl447
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Jdl447 » Mon May 27, 2019 11:37 pm

:arrow: .
Last edited by Jdl447 on Tue Jun 18, 2019 11:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
0 x
When a clown moves into a palace, he doesn't become a king. The palace becomes a circus.

clovishound
Drover
United States of America

Post by clovishound » Tue May 28, 2019 12:54 am

Jdl447 wrote:
Mon May 27, 2019 11:37 pm
I have never met anyone who says they reload to save money. The people I know who do it and myself included do it because we enjoy it.
Well, I do it so that I can afford for the Pup and I to shoot as much as we do. I would not spend much more for factory ammo, but I do end up with a whole lot more ammo for the money available by reloading.

I do like the ability to tailor my ammo to needs and wants. We both like soft recoil rounds in .38 and .45 ACP.
0 x
There is, I think, humor here which does not translate well from English to sanity. - Sanya

tarbe
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by tarbe » Tue Jun 18, 2019 11:09 pm

That doofus has obviously never purchased any of the big African ammo!

I can load 450 Dakota, 458 Lott, 460 Weatherby etc with 500gr Barnes X-bullets for about $1 each if you amortize the cases over 6 loads or so. I have several thousand of the X-bullets that I got on-line for 22 cents each!

Buy the same ammo in a store and it is $6-$10 per round.

So a typical big bore range session of 30 rounds saves me $150 to $270. I could never afford to shoot the big guns without handloading.
0 x
USMC 1976 - 1980 0351

Henry H010
Henry H010CC
Savage M99 308 (born in '57 like me!)
Browning M53 32-20
336 30-30
No 1 300 H&H
No 1 375 H&H
1895 30-40 Krag
Ruger American 308
Several Nasty Black Rifles :o

Old School Guns
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by Old School Guns » Sat Jun 22, 2019 7:53 am

If it were all about money I would not do a lot of things.Reloading is also a valuable skill that I hope I never “need.”
0 x
“I think the evil is in the food, in the noise, in the crowding, in the stress, in the water, in the air.”
― Edward Abbey

TsavoCreek
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by TsavoCreek » Mon Jul 15, 2019 5:27 pm

The guy is a self-serving, misguided ass who has so many flaws in his "argument" it boggles the mind. He probably spends 12 hours per day on his phone. Is this his hobby? Is it an expense, or is he not employable? ...
0 x

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Mon Jul 15, 2019 5:51 pm

The guy eventually 'went away' as he could not maintain his argument due to the overwhelming positive responses from others.
BTW Welcome to the forum from Wickiup Junction, OR.!
0 x

CT_Shooter
Administrator emeritus
United States of America

Post by CT_Shooter » Mon Jul 15, 2019 6:49 pm

Welcome to the forum from CT, TsavoCreek. This is a very friendly forum. Thanks for joining us.
TsavoCreek wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 5:27 pm
The guy is a self-serving, misguided ass who has so many flaws in his "argument" it boggles the mind. He probably spends 12 hours per day on his phone. Is this his hobby? Is it an expense, or is he not employable? ...
mistered wrote: The guy eventually 'went away' as he could not maintain his argument due to the overwhelming positive responses from others.
BTW Welcome to the forum from Wickiup Junction, OR.!
0 x
H006M Big Boy Brass .357 - H001 Classic .22LR - Uberti / Taylors & Co. SmokeWagon .357 5.5" - Uberti / Taylors & Co. RanchHand .22LR 5.5"