Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

The Most Arrogant And Condescending Post Denouncing Reloading I Have Ever Read.

All things reloading here
Mgderf
Cowhand
United States of America

Re: The Most Arrogant And Condescending Post Denouncing Reloading I Have Ever Read.

Post by Mgderf » Sat Jul 27, 2019 10:41 pm

Mistered wrote:
Sat Jul 27, 2019 1:04 pm
After Sandy Hook I had a very hard time locating certain calibers, especially locally, and prices were skyrocketing.
A lot of people had to curtail shooting after Sandy Hook.
I was able to keep shooting because of reloading.
I stocked up very heavily by 2106 for 'possibilities' but that passed.
I won't be caught flat-footed again.
0 x

jstraw
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Re: The Most Arrogant And Condescending Post Denouncing Reloading I Have Ever Read.

Post by jstraw » Mon Aug 19, 2019 6:36 pm

My name is Jstraw....and I'm a reloader 😂🤣
1 x

mrguvna
Wrangler
United States of America

Post by mrguvna » Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:27 am

everyone has an opinion, reloading is more about a hobby than saving money. It enables me to understand the firearm better and fine tune accuracy and precision. I don't make any claims of saving money, but gives me something to do instead of sitting in front of the tv or computer and truly wasting time and money.
2 x

jstraw
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by jstraw » Tue Aug 20, 2019 5:26 pm

I saved brass from a child up. I always aspired to be a reloader I read everything I could on the subject for years. Finally when I became equipped with great tools and even some bullets and powder I hit the ground running. An old friend recognized my enthusiasm and as he was getting older and out of the hobby he also mentored me in the beginning.
I have since added many sets of dies and even three shotgun loaders. I also do much casting. I still use the basic RCBS Junior press and Forester trimmer and Lyman scales he bought in the 1960's. It still works perfectly. I reload quite a bit and still find much satisfaction in rangetime and hunting with my own handloads.
I always tell others to never start loading to save money. If not for the peace and satisfaction...don't start this or any endeavour.
For me it is part of my way of life...much more than saving a nickel. I also don't claim to be and certainly am not an expert. I have become very slow to give other than text book answers to the curious. Safety is number 1. Never be distracted. Enjoy it or don't do it.
7 x

Rangerhgm
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by Rangerhgm » Wed Aug 28, 2019 7:27 pm

I've never talked to any reloader that says reloading saves them money, you just shoot more
4 x
-------
Gregg

jstraw
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by jstraw » Thu Aug 29, 2019 5:43 pm

Seems like if someone reloaded to save money they actually just bought themselves a very poor paying second job.😁 The true friend who mentored me suggested to always stop for the day in the middle of something. It keeps you from being goal and mass oriented. Plus, it always gives you an active bench to return to. I am a very driven person. This approach has really helped me fully enjoy handloading.
1 x

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Sat Aug 31, 2019 9:04 am

As I said in the past. The only time reloading saved me money, was when I was reloading 38 and 45 for competition. The rest of the time, I did it because I enjoyed the time at the bench, and could save a couple bucks on a box here and there. (Not including my time and effort, of course.). My equipment had long paid for itself during my years of competing.

It sits idle now for long periods as I don't get to shoot much. Then I'll shoot a bunch, reload a thousand rounds, and the press goes back into hibernation.
1 x
You can tell a lot about the character of a man...
by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.

PJM
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by PJM » Sun Jan 19, 2020 11:29 am

I have to agree! I think they make "meds" that would provide this dude with an attitude adjustment, which he sorely needs. I really wanted to comment on other disfunctions he probably suffers from, but this would not be the appropriate forum.
0 x

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Sun Jan 19, 2020 12:25 pm

I really wanted to comment on other dysfunctions he probably suffers from, but this would not be the appropriate forum.
Go for it - he is not a member here.
1 x

TMB
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by TMB » Sun Jan 19, 2020 1:33 pm

This person obviously doesn't believe that it is better to remain silent and appear a fool than to open your mouth and prove it to the world.
2 x
Henry H004ES Golden Boy Eagle Scout Tribute
Henry H004 Golden Boy .22 cal
Henry H006C Big Boy Classic .45 Colt

"If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're doing something wrong.” ... John Gierach