All things reloading here
ruhler
Cowhand
Sweden

Re: Casting and reloading

Post by ruhler » Wed May 01, 2019 1:37 pm

clovishound wrote:deskowen

First time I've heard that term.
Around here we call them toaster ovens. I like your term better.
hehe directly translated from my language :)
0 x

ruhler
Cowhand
Sweden

Re: Casting and reloading

Post by ruhler » Wed May 01, 2019 2:10 pm

While im at it this is the way I powdercoat my bullets, so why powdercoat well its like a jacketed bullet?
it doesnt need lube,
you can user softer lead alloys (and can save those hard to get alloys like linotype bars and make them last longer),
doesnt lead in barrel
it manage magnumloads,
doesnt smoke
protecting you from lead exposore
easier to store than lubed bullets

Reciepe:

First you need:
Surgical gloves to protect you from lead and the bullets from you.
Good welders gloves or something to take out the plate with.
A Toaster owen, set at 180degrees celsius,
One Silicon baking sheet on the tray.
Powder is bought from https://www.electrostaticmagic.co.uk/ I choose purple color since it been tried out by others and works well.
A dry plastic bucket with a tight lid. I use an old bucket used for laundry detergent
A bucket with water.
Bullet that are not handled by your hands, clean directly from the bullet mold, mine is casted this weekend.
Lee push through sizer
WD40
Towel

First you, take a tablespoon of powder and put it in your bucket and add bullets take about 50 at a time this is fewer just for presentation.

Close the lid and shake and rotate the bucket for a about a minute and check if the bullets are coated enough. (It doesent have to cover absolutely everything)

Then you can either pour the bullets on a mesh and sorting away the excess powder and then drop it on the plate, or you can stand the bullets up with a plier (it gives a little better visual result but its more timeconsuming picking one bullet at the time)

Then put the plate with the bullets in the owen at 180degrees celsius for 10-12minutes. ( I set the timer on my owen) :)

Freshly baked!

Then I just dump the bullets into the water, cooling them instantly and then pick them up and dry them on a towel.

Then next is sizing. I just add the pullet to a plastic container and then just spray a little wd40 on them and then I run them through a Leepush through sizer.

Bullets ready when the wd40 has dried out.
2 x

Bubbas4570
Wrangler
United States of America

Re: Casting, powdercoating and reloading

Post by Bubbas4570 » Thu May 02, 2019 1:17 pm

Ruhler, have you ever tried tumble lubing?

I chose that way, since it sounded much easier than powder coating, but I can see the main difference in the steps needed would be a second trip through the sizer and possibly more waiting time for the lube to dry for storage.
0 x
If you are gonna be stupid, you better be tough.

How many? #943 and 944 》H006M and H001M

ruhler
Cowhand
Sweden

Post by ruhler » Sat May 04, 2019 2:19 am

Actually I havent, however I do have Lee Liquid Alox laying around and bullets for my 44mag I got from another caster that are tumblelubed I have tried them and they work great. The process is similar to powdercoating but powdercoating is probably less messier and faster. Its quite easy really, just casted bullets, a bucket with a lid, some powder, an owen and a sizer tool. Ive tried sizing before coating, and sizing after coating and its no difference better to save the time to just dump

Today im off to try some 44mag bullets with my own cooked lube to see how it goes.
0 x

Vaquero
Ranch Boss
United States of America

Post by Vaquero » Sat May 04, 2019 1:04 pm

ruhler, I add some air-soft pellets to the powder and bullets.
It causes a little more friction, and helps with the powder sticking to the bullets.
Yours looks good.

RP
1 x
Monte Walsh "You have No idea how little I care". :lol:

Ain't No Apologies for My Temperament :shock:
Si vis pacem, para bellum
H001, H006, H012

Cattle Driver
Australia

Post by 220 » Sat May 04, 2019 4:58 pm

Powder coating is about the only lube technique I havent tried.
The biggest advantage I can see with it is adding size to undersize bullets, the downside is it appears to be slow compared to most methods.
For coated I have been using HiTek as it is much quicker doing bulk bullets.

I still use LLA for some bulk bullets for light target work that I shoot unsized. Nothing quicker than dumping 500 in a bucket swirling and tipping them out to dry. Down side is it is messy and I find I get a buildup in my seating die, if I dont clean it ever 500 the OAL starts to get shorter.
0 x

ruhler
Cowhand
Sweden

Post by ruhler » Sun May 05, 2019 4:40 pm

Cant quote because of forum functionality. Seems atleast as pictures can be linked?

This is the method I pretty much use, (i dont preheat my bullets though): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nRqKGBpqVjc and it really goes fast.

But I kind of like the lube-a-sizer its fun making my own bullet lube, I make from lithium molygrease and beeswax 50/50 ratio by weight. Tried some 44magnum loads at 1400fps yesterday, gaschecked bullets casted with brinell 14, sized to .431 giving a tight fit to cylinderthroats. First time I used this lube and I was surprised it didnt smoke, no leading whatsoever and Ive neved had so clean revolver after shooting not even messy on the cylinder or frame. Im really impressed how well it worked. But its quite soft lube so little messy when filling up the lubasizer and when sizing bullets.

Was shooting offhand 2hand with my ruger SBH 10,5" 44magnum 265grain Saeco Mold #432 bullets, and got good results from 25meters Ofc I choose to show my best group but to my defense I only shot two cylinders with this bullet. :)
http://forumbilder.se/I5C0F/img-20190504-131445.jpg

A picture of the muzzle after shooting a good "lube star" in the muzzle and pretty clean barrel:
http://forumbilder.se/I5C0F/1111ed.jpg
0 x