All things reloading here
JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Re: Thinkin' about Reloading?

Post by JEBar » Fri Jul 19, 2019 10:02 pm

Rifletom wrote:
Sun Jul 14, 2019 12:56 pm
At the risk of a small topic hi-jack, I'll just add my load for my Ruger No.1B 30-06:
180gr Hornady or Nosler Partition
A good amount of H-4350
Win cases
CCI LR primer
OAL: 3.245"
This load, when I use to hunt big game dropped mule deer and elk promptly.

just as an FYI, earlier today I received a notice that Shooter's Sport Shop where I purchase our Nosler bullets has their 30 caliber 180 gr Partitions on sale ... depending on how many you buy, they are priced as low as $19.05 for packs of 50 (link below) .... Cabela's prices theirs at $43.99 for 50 .... as a note, the ones sold by SPS are "Blems" .... they might have cosmetic faults (most I can't see) which have no impact on performance

http://www.shootersproshop.com/bulk-buy ... -50ct.html
1 x

Rifletom
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by Rifletom » Sat Jul 20, 2019 10:02 am

Thank you JEBar! Ordering two boxes right after I type this. What a price. Thanks again!
0 x

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Sat Jul 20, 2019 10:09 am

glad to be able to help .... for Nosler products SPS is hard to beat :D
0 x

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Sat Jul 20, 2019 10:39 am

Man I remember going into Nosler when the 'shooters pro shop' was a metal rack with the available blems in plastic bags for $5 per 50!
0 x

runnin n gunnin
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by runnin n gunnin » Mon Nov 11, 2019 7:54 pm

Very nice RR. Love the room ! Not only are you on the right course of action, but you have the atmosphere.

I started reloading in 1975, fell out of it due to workload, got back into it five years ago.

Here is what I like about being a hand loader:

1. Quality control. I take my time and know exactly what I am loading up. I have found that some of my hand loads perform better than factory.

2. Variety. There are so many powders on the market today, and so many bullet types it is fun to experiment to find that perfect load for that individual rifle/pistol. I have found that my firearms are like men, each of us has our own preference on which whisky we like best. That is why I posted what is your favorite loads for 45 Colt and 357 in the Henry, I want to see what other folks have done. (thanks for the reply by the way)

3. Escape. When I go through all the steps in the process from brass cleaning to crimping and everything that falls in between I am able to zone out. I will spend hours on the bench before my wife calls me to dinner and did not know where the time went. It gets my mind off of everything.

4. Legacy. This right now is probably the most important. My son is starting to reload, and I have started to introduce my grandson to the process. He is too young for much of it, but his interest is peaked and he helps me clean brass, decap and resize. I gave him his first Henry youth 22 this year, and he is starting his skill sets in basic rifle. He does not know it yet, but he is getting a Ruger Wrangler .22 for Christmas.

Cost savings, etc is way down the list for me. I just like knowing what I am shooting because I loaded it. You are moving in the right direction. Have a healthy respect for the process, and enjoy it !
0 x
I stand for the flag, and kneel for my fallen brothers.

RanchRoper
Forum Ambassador
Canada

Post by RanchRoper » Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:10 pm

I did a couple hundred rounds yesterday, very relaxing.
3 x
1860 Colt SA Richards Conversion Revolver .45C
1860 Henry .45C
1885 High Wall .45C
1820-1840 Frontier Percussion .50
1790-1820 Frontier Flintlock .50

Ohkínohkomit - Shoot skillfully

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Mon Nov 11, 2019 9:03 pm

My problem is I am always behind in my loading so when I want to go shooting I have to charge cases and seat bullets - which is not so bad as as I have been working on keeping brass prepped ahead so charging and seating is all thats necessary but I need to work on keeping supplies of loaded ammo.
1 x

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:55 pm

That's part of why I don't reload. Have plenty of things that require my immediate attention. Spur of the moment decision to go shooting and not have enough ammo prepped would take the enjoyment out of it for me.
Mistered wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 9:03 pm
My problem is I am always behind in my loading so when I want to go shooting I have to charge cases and seat bullets - which is not so bad as as I have been working on keeping brass prepped ahead so charging and seating is all thats necessary but I need to work on keeping supplies of loaded ammo.
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:20 pm

Spur of the moment decision to go shooting and not have enough ammo prepped would take the enjoyment out of it for me.
I didnt explain myself accuratly.
I usually know I am going shooting several days in advance so my reloading is not exactly spur of the moment.
If I already have cases prepped (the slowest part of reloading) its just a matter of charging with powder and seating bullets which is simple and goes very quickly.
Bottom line is I am not starting from 'scratch' with unprepared cases.
Case prep typically comprises the largest percentage of overall reloading time.
2 x

RanchRoper
Forum Ambassador
Canada

Post by RanchRoper » Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:54 pm

We have a few new members in the last while, so just moving this thread up for anyone who is thinking about taking the plunge. If I can do it, you can! TONS of good info in the reloading topic, so don't be shy. :)
0 x
1860 Colt SA Richards Conversion Revolver .45C
1860 Henry .45C
1885 High Wall .45C
1820-1840 Frontier Percussion .50
1790-1820 Frontier Flintlock .50

Ohkínohkomit - Shoot skillfully