Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Thinkin' about Reloading?

All things reloading here
Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Re: Thinkin' about Reloading?

Post by Mistered » Sat Apr 13, 2019 1:56 pm

However I found that I really enjoy reloading for just the relaxation quality.
40+ years and STILL enjoying it!
1 x

RanchRoper
Forum Ambassador
Canada

Post by RanchRoper » Sat Apr 13, 2019 4:41 pm

It is more relaxing than I imagined. Quite nice to just sit there and lose oneself in it. You can't really think about other stuff while doing it.
1 x
1860 Colt SA Richards Conversion Revolver .45C
1860 Henry .45C
1885 High Wall .45C
1820-1840 Frontier Percussion .50
1790-1820 Frontier Flintlock .50

Ohkínohkomit - Shoot skillfully

Cofisher
Drover
United States of America

Post by Cofisher » Sat Apr 13, 2019 5:12 pm

Kind of like fly fishing. Easy way to get out of your mind.
1 x
Remember, it's not how many guns you have. It's how many bullets you have.

Rifletom
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by Rifletom » Sat Apr 13, 2019 6:21 pm

Mistered wrote:
However I found that I really enjoy reloading for just the relaxation quality.
40+ years and STILL enjoying it!
Yep. 43 years of enjoyment. Doing more enjoying Monday morning. .357 and .45 Colt.
1 x

EasyEd
Cowhand
Canada

Post by EasyEd » Sun Apr 28, 2019 1:10 am

Hey All,

I've thought about reloading off an on over the last 30 years. First gun I ever bought with my own money was a lever action marlin 336er (tube magazine) in 356 win (308 necked up to 35 with a rim An a flat nose - 307 was its sister round) Carried over 1500 lbs energy a little ways beyond 200 yrs - elk power. I put an 1.5 to 5 power simmons whitetail scope on it using weaver see thru mounts. Close use the iron sights farther use the scope. I luv that combo - still do.

Wonder if Henry would ever make a lever gun in those calibers?

Anyway factory ammo was about a dollar 20 a shot in 1990! So I did actually buy dies and was going to buy a rockchucker as I recall but that rifle and a marrochi arms 12 gauge over under shotgun of mine were stolen. I later sold the dies and learned my lesson - only go with commonly available calibres hence a 30-06 BLR and later a 7mm-08 BLR. And when I got the 7mm-08 I was worried about it being rare with respect to ammo - it isn't.

Now toying with the idea of a pistol calibre lever gun if I can get one with near the power of that marlin. Don't know if one exists for reasonable dollars. Probably lead to reloading to obtain velocity and energy I might be looking for I'm guessing. I don't know if the economics of reloading make sense for 30-06 or 7mm-08 - I do sympathize with RR on ammo costs as I'm in Canada too. I've never got an RPAL just a PAL as restrictions on handguns are so restrictive that I'm not convinced matching rifle with handgun makes any sense. If I want to shoot handguns I just need to go visit family in the US and shoot theirs with them. Sad state of affairs but reality.

Anyway if the right powered carbine is out there anywhere I may be game and up for reloading.

-Ed-
2 x

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Sun Apr 28, 2019 7:22 am

Well, you are not going to find a pistol caliber carbine with anywhere near the power of the .356. If you really need that kind of power you'll need to stick with a rifle cartridge however for just fun and economical shooting you can't beat a pistol caliber carbine and some can offer short range, medium sized game capability.
0 x

Mgderf
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Mgderf » Sun Apr 28, 2019 7:32 am

I've been a shooter for more than 50 years.
I started reloading my own two years ago.
I have yet to load a bunch, and I know I have not yet recouped my cost of set-up and supply stocking, but I will never again get caught short of center-fire pistol ammunition.

I did save money on at least one flavor by starting to load for the .327Federal magnum.
Factory offerings weren't outrageous, but rather unobtainable in most local markets, and slim pickings online.
It is getting better, but I now have powders, primers, brass, and projectiles, that I won't need to buy anything for .327's for years to come.
I'm also pretty well covered for popular calibers like .45acp, .40S&W, .38spl/.357mag, .44spl/.44mag, .45Colt/.454Casull...

Since I started loading, I've found a friend who is casting projectiles.
I take him lead when I run across it, and take home bullets in return.

I would highly suggest you jump in now.
Don't wait until another mass shooting, when cries will rise again to "do something...".

After Sandy Hook, it took me months to find ammo for quite a few of my guns.
That will not happen again.

Buy SEVERAL manuals, AND READ THEM!
Understand the principals of loading BEFORE you start.
Once you do get started, you'll wonder why you waited so long.
0 x

RanchRoper
Forum Ambassador
Canada

Post by RanchRoper » Sun Apr 28, 2019 7:48 am

All I can say is my 45 Colt packs a whollup. As I am sure the 44 Mag does too.
1 x
1860 Henry .45C
1885 High Wall .45C

RanchRoper
Forum Ambassador
Canada

Post by RanchRoper » Sun Apr 28, 2019 9:07 am

EasyEd wrote:Hey All,

I've thought about reloading off an on over the last 30 years. First gun I ever bought with my own money was a lever action marlin 336er (tube magazine) in 356 win (308 necked up to 35 with a rim An a flat nose - 307 was its sister round) Carried over 1500 lbs energy a little ways beyond 200 yrs - elk power. I put an 1.5 to 5 power simmons whitetail scope on it using weaver see thru mounts. Close use the iron sights farther use the scope. I luv that combo - still do.

Wonder if Henry would ever make a lever gun in those calibers?

Anyway factory ammo was about a dollar 20 a shot in 1990! So I did actually buy dies and was going to buy a rockchucker as I recall but that rifle and a marrochi arms 12 gauge over under shotgun of mine were stolen. I later sold the dies and learned my lesson - only go with commonly available calibres hence a 30-06 BLR and later a 7mm-08 BLR. And when I got the 7mm-08 I was worried about it being rare with respect to ammo - it isn't.

Now toying with the idea of a pistol calibre lever gun if I can get one with near the power of that marlin. Don't know if one exists for reasonable dollars. Probably lead to reloading to obtain velocity and energy I might be looking for I'm guessing. I don't know if the economics of reloading make sense for 30-06 or 7mm-08 - I do sympathize with RR on ammo costs as I'm in Canada too. I've never got an RPAL just a PAL as restrictions on handguns are so restrictive that I'm not convinced matching rifle with handgun makes any sense. If I want to shoot handguns I just need to go visit family in the US and shoot theirs with them. Sad state of affairs but reality.

Anyway if the right powered carbine is out there anywhere I may be game and up for reloading.

-Ed-
Just for info, after much research I went with the Lee Classic Turret press and the stand for it. Very compact and fits well into a small area (see photo). This press is not as basic as the single stage, and not as advanced as a full blown progressive one. I can very comfortably do 50 rounds in an hour, and that is double checking every case for powder load (not 1 gets by without a visual check), measuring every 8 or 10 powder drops for accuracy, and checking OAL every couple of dozen. I don't use the auto prime, and place every primer in the cup by hand. That way I know it's right side up every time. Whatever you decide, be safe and do lots of research to see what might work best for you. Good luck. RR
0 x
1860 Henry .45C
1885 High Wall .45C

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Sun Apr 28, 2019 10:08 am

I have been reloading since the mid 80s, starting on a single stage lee press. I moved up to the Dillon Progressive when I started shooting competition and was shooting ten thousand plus rounds a year. As I was loading thirty eight, nine mil, forty, and forty five, the interchangeable tool heads were a blessing. ;)

As I stopped competing and slowed down on shooting, I certainly needed to load less. Then three or four major surgeries affected my memory. As RR has mentioned, there are critical areas that need attention while loading. Overall length, powder weights, crimp, primers, etc. There are a couple things I do these days to insure I am safely reloading. First, I called Dillon, and got a dvd for my press. It explains the setup. I watch it every time after a long break in loading, this refreshes my memory, so I have the press set up correctly and don't miss a step. I also Use the References for load data.

Second, like RR, I measure powder drops every ten rounds to be safe. My powder drops are accurate, but better safe than sorry.

Third, no distractions in the loading room, and good lighting. No tv, no one chatting away while I'm loading, and my bench and my press are well lit.

Last.. I use a caliber specific bullet case checker to check every round before it goes in the bin.
https://www.dillonprecision.com/dillon- ... 25548.html
Simple to use, drop the loaded round in, if it goes in flush, it will fit factory chambers. If not, crimp is off, bullet not correctly seated, short stroked on your sizing die.. There is a problem. Takes a couple minutes to do a hundred rounds, and you don't run into problems on the range. :D

Yes, I have decades of experience behind me, but I recognise my new limitations, and the very real hazards of not respecting the task at hand.
1 x
You can tell a lot about the character of a man...
by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.