Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Thinkin' about Reloading?

All things reloading here
RanchRoper
Forum Ambassador
Canada

Re: Thinkin' about Reloading?

Post by RanchRoper » Sat Jun 22, 2019 8:45 am

I'm pretty lucky that there are so many cool cowboy guns in 45 Colt. Still like that 1866 Yellowboy Trapper and may just add that one day to my cabinet.
0 x
1860 Colt SA Richards Conversion Revolver .45C
1860 Henry .45C
1885 High Wall .45C
1820-1840 Frontier Percussion .50
1790-1820 Frontier Flintlock .50

Ohkínohkomit - Shoot skillfully

clovishound
Drover
United States of America

Post by clovishound » Sat Jun 22, 2019 12:24 pm

Mistered wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 8:03 am
I do like the one caliber idea though.
So do I and I wish if were that simple but it's more the exception rather than the rule.
Most reloaders started off with one caliber but added others as their gun interests expanded.
A lot of this has to do with ones shooting environment and if there is any hunting involvement this can increase calibers as well.
I am 'down' to just seven calibers now - three rifle and four handgun with two pulling double duty however it's not unusual to hear of double this number to more for some reloaders!
Reality is however even though some may have the dies & components for a variety of calibers it's usually about Half or less that get reloaded with any regularity. Out of my seven only five are loaded regularly.
I actually forsook my interest in a new gun and caliber a few years ago as I simply did not want to add a new caliber and have to acquire the dies and components for it.
Well, your math works pretty well for me. I have dies for 6 calibers, and only routinely load for 3. And two of those use the same components except for the cases. .357 and .38

My philosophy is to only purchase firearms that use ammo that is readily available. If I can't walk into Wally World and have a choice of a handful of brands/types of ammo in that caliber, I don't acquire that gun.
1 x
There is, I think, humor here which does not translate well from English to sanity. - Sanya

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Sat Jun 22, 2019 3:01 pm

clovishound wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 12:24 pm
Well, your math works pretty well for me. I have dies for 6 calibers, and only routinely load for 3. And two of those use the same components except for the cases. .357 and .38

My philosophy is to only purchase firearms that use ammo that is readily available. If I can't walk into Wally World and have a choice of a handful of brands/types of ammo in that caliber, I don't acquire that gun.
understood .... back in the 60's when I started researching rifle calibers I noticed that across the brands available back then 30 caliber consistently offered the largest bullet selection and different size ammo using those bullets .... example : the same bullets can be used in loading for our 308, 30-36 and 300 ... some can also be used in our 30-30 .... with a short period where I carried a 44 mag revolver and rifle when bear/boar hunting I only loaded for 30 caliber rifles .... that ended a couple of years ago when I purchased a Henry 44 and a 45-70
1 x

RanchRoper
Forum Ambassador
Canada

Post by RanchRoper » Thu Jul 04, 2019 5:28 pm

Just an update for anybody still on the fence.

I have reloaded approx 1500 rounds since April. Probably shot at least 500. The only issues I have had were a primer that jammed in cockeyed during priming, and the Starline "blank" brass case found the other day which I did not use. I have had no squibs, misfires or jams cycling the action in my rifle. They shoot fine in the revolver too. All rounds are consistently 1.575" - 1.585" in OAL. All are 1st time reloaded brass. I have collected some brass from fired reloads in a separate bin but have not cleaned any yet. I still have LOTS of brass. I can comfortably reload 50-100 rounds in couple of hours. My routine is:
- check brass case
- de-prime, resize & prime at stage one
- powder charge & flare case at stage two
- remove case, check primer seat, and visual on powder (weigh every 10 or so)
- seat bullet at stage three
- crimp at stage four
- visually inspect each finished cartridge WITHOUT FAIL before they go in the box holder

I have been happy with the accuracy so far, and the reloading is quite a relaxing time actually. I like to keep things simple; 1 powder, 1 caliber, 1 primer mfg, and I have a good source for lead. To each his own for reloading, but if you are thinking about reloading, I am proof that it does not have to be complicated.

Here's one cabinet just about full and I have another full of factory ammo as well. This 'ol cowboy is well stocked. :)
Attachments
20190704_150431_resized.jpg
20190704_150431_resized.jpg (132.46 KiB) Viewed 3188 times
2 x
1860 Henry .45C
1885 High Wall .45C

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Thu Jul 04, 2019 6:11 pm

I am proof that it does not have to be complicated.
Even with MULTIPLE calibers it does not need to be complicated and I am proof of this - however there are many that work real hard AT complicating it.
Like anything however most of those trying to complicate it tend to be 'talkers' who don't reload but think they know best and try to educate everyone in the best way to do it.
Probably the #1 mistake of SOME who get into reloading is to think they need the fastest progressive press with all the trimmings, dive in and find they don't shoot near the number of rounds the progressive is capable of - and find when reloading rifle ammo a progressive becomes a very expensive single stage.
I routinely see ads for insane amounts of reloading equipment up for sale where a person dove in headfirst and bought 1000s of dollars of equipment - and then wound up never using it. A lot of these purchases were fear based on the outcome of the election - and that was a real issue (saw it in 2012 and for several years after) where the shelves were essentially empty but if a person is only buying reloading gear on fear and speculation then he is way behind the curve. One should already 'be' reloading if one is concerned about supply.
Last edited by Mistered on Thu Jul 04, 2019 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Thu Jul 04, 2019 7:26 pm

RanchRoper wrote:
Thu Jul 04, 2019 5:28 pm
Just an update for anybody still on the fence.

I have reloaded approx 1500 rounds since April. Probably shot at least 500.

I have been happy with the accuracy so far, and the reloading is quite a relaxing time actually. I like to keep things simple; I am proof that it does not have to be complicated.

...one cabinet just about full and I have another full of factory ammo as well. This 'ol cowboy is well stocked. :)
Been following your reloading adventure since the beginning, RR. Liked what you said here to anybody "still on the fence." At this point, I'm on the side with non-reloaders. Since I don't see any greener grass on the other side of the fence that I want now, I'm good.

My most expensive caliber at this time is the .45 Colt round. I'm awaiting one small shipment (125 rounds) from Choice Ammo, which will bring my stock to 440 rounds. Depending on how many I shoot during a range visit, I have between 11-15 visits to go before I run out of .45 Colt. I'm at the range one or two times per month now, rarely three times. So I should have enough .45 Colt to last into 2020. And as soon as I get the replacement BP .50 cal Trapper pistol shippe to me, I'll be working with that ammo, too. I like what ESquared said about this muzzleloader. I'll be reloading "from inside the barrel." Sounds cool. 8-)

I read about every reload thread that Henry Folk post. Always interesting, and I continue to learn new things. Glad to see so many enjoy and use this component of the shooting sports.

PT7
2 x

~Пока~

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Thu Jul 04, 2019 8:33 pm

As I have said many times before - and on a few forums - reloading is not for everybody.
Reloading should only be taken on as an extension of your interest in shooting and the desire to get the best accuracy out of your firearms.
While reloading will 'save' money it typically results in shooting more which will even itself out.
Reloading also allows one to tailor cartridges for a specific purpose as well as load 'toned down' ammo for plinking, ease of shooting etc.
For example I load 30-30 ammo with 100-110 grain bullets with a reduced charge of a powder that is typically used for pistol ammo (but works well for reduced rifle loads) and they are incredibly accurate and very low recoil.
When it comes to straight wall pistol ammo reloading is a dream come true with the wide variety of bullets and powders available to create whatever you want.
For example .357 Mag can be loaded from mouse fart low velocity up to bear busting 'full house' capability.
But like I said - reloading is not for everyone as interest in shooting varies from person to person.
1 x

Old Syko
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Old Syko » Thu Jul 04, 2019 9:42 pm

Some of us load and shoot more than others can even imagine possible. Now if that's what is being referred to as complicated then Yes for some of us it is complicated. There is no way in the world to achieve maximum accuracy without things getting a bit tedious. My own son has recently discovered this very fact. He's 43 now and knows his old mans history of handloading and shooting and what's involved but he has chosen for the most part to steer clear of rolling his own until now even though he hasn't minded burning up my stuff when he got a chance. He recently decided to get into shooting long range. I limit my own shooting to around 600 yards with only the occasional expedition farther out. At 1000 to 1800 yards the game takes on a new life and if you want to do well it ain't gonna happen with factory fodder no matter what equipment you're delivering it with. Reality has set in and he's just now getting started rolling his own. At least he knows who to turn to for advice but that 50 BMG has me relearning new things. The 30 and 338 I can send him down the right path on with little effort.

What you intend to achieve determines the complexity of the process and to some extent the cost. 52 years ago when I started loading my intent was to save money as it is with most who reload but just a few years in that changed dramatically. I soon wanted to produce ammo that was much better than anything I could buy and that was specific to my needs and that's the path I've followed ever since. Probably 90% of all shooters won't shoot enough in a lifetime to make loading worthwhile financially. Looking at it as an expansion of the shooting hobby is another story. I treasure my hours at the loading bench nearly as much as my hours at the shooting line.

I envy folks like RR who can be happy with one caliber but that just isn't me. I can't do anything just a little bit. I have to take it to the limit, which explains both the quantity and quality of ammo I've loaded over the years.
0 x
NRA Life Endowment Member

RanchRoper
Forum Ambassador
Canada

Post by RanchRoper » Thu Jul 04, 2019 9:55 pm

I used the word complicated referring to many different calibers. To me that's complicated, and what I found a little daunting about the whole process. But 1 caliber for me is easy and works fine. Hats off to others who do many calibers. I do see the difference in accuracy though, but don't quite understand it yet. I would have thought factory rounds would be robotic in their consistency and accuracy. But my reloads actually shoot better. I look forward to developing a load for my single shot high wall when it arrives.
1 x
1860 Henry .45C
1885 High Wall .45C

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Thu Jul 04, 2019 10:27 pm

since we only put together one load at a time, I've never given any thought to loading for multiple calibers to be an issue .... the process is pretty much the same and once we settle on a load, its just a matter of pulling the lever
0 x