Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Tweaked My 357 Light Bullet Loads

All things reloading here
ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Re: Tweaked My 357 Light Bullet Loads

Post by ESquared » Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:19 am

Here's an older Chuck Hawks piece on Trail Boss (from the days when it was still "new"), but it gives a good overview, of all the calibers (although all that's really covered here is a 10" barrel, but you get the idea):

https://www.chuckhawks.com/trail_boss_powder.htm
2 x
BB Steel .357 | SGC 22LR | LR .308 | CCH 30-30 | BB Brass .45 Colt (Carbine) | Single Shot 20 gauge | Single Shot .223 | Single Shot 357

Leftofcenter67
Tenderfoot
Canada

Post by Leftofcenter67 » Tue May 28, 2019 1:37 am

Ojaileveraction wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2019 10:20 pm
Trailboss is a fine low pressure , low velocity powder and it does fill your case. Be sure not to over fill your case with Traiboss, do not compress Trailboss.
There is in info on the Hodgdon I will have to look for it
The link they have is 404.
Tim
Edit
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source= ... kqWrnoGv37
That's the reason I'd like to use Trail Boss as it's so bulky with those little donuts it's pretty obvious visually before you put it on a scale that you've accidentally double charged.
Of course just weighing your HP-38' or Winchester 231 can help eliminate that too.
0 x

clovishound
Drover
United States of America

Post by clovishound » Tue May 28, 2019 12:11 pm

Just keep in mind that Trail Boss is not recommended for jacketed or plated bullets. Cast only, either wax lubed or coated.

Looking at the Hogdgon website, I notice that if you plug in all the other powders for 158 grain, you will find that it lists .358 for diameter for the same bullet (Lead Semi WadCutter) except Trail Boss. I suspect a typo. Lead bullets are usually .001" or more larger than jacketed, with .001" over nominal being the norm.

I've also never heard of using different data when using lead bullets that are .002" or .003" over nominal size. Many bullet manufacturer will give you a choice of size in cast. There is a little box at the bottom where you choose one of 2 or 3 sizes.
1 x
There is, I think, humor here which does not translate well from English to sanity. - Sanya