Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Reloading flow chart

All things reloading here
ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Re: Reloading flow chart

Post by ESquared » Fri Mar 08, 2019 2:14 pm

It's great having your perspectives and input, Brunix, thanks for being part of this group! Your comments about the machine disappearing behind it function and granularity being perfect will require some further consideration and pondering on my part. I'm sure they're completely valid and unbelievably profound concepts, but I need to awaken that part of my brain (and hope it doesn't explode!).

So, do you decap first?
1 x
BB Steel .357 | SGC 22LR | LR .308 | CCH 30-30 | BB Brass .45 Colt (Carbine) | Single Shot 20 gauge | Single Shot .223 | Single Shot 357

wingnut
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by wingnut » Fri Mar 08, 2019 3:34 pm

ESquared wrote:Am I the only one who decaps as a first and totally separate step?
Doubt it. However, if you dry tumble there is no need and the primer hole does not get plugged up. I do not clean primer pockets either (note - I did not say uniform primer pockets). Cleaning pockets is a waste of time unless you are really anal and have a firearm capable of <=.15 MOA (.15 inch group or less at 100 yards) with more than 2 shots. ;)
1 x
You're born & you die. In between you get to shoot a bunch guns. Kind of sums up life to me. - Colorado Bob

Cattle Driver
Australia

Post by 220 » Fri Mar 08, 2019 4:27 pm

BruniX wrote: Very interesting idea, need to verify brass as an old one ....
i will correct flow chart ....
thanks !
Good idea, out of round and dinged necks can be common in new brass, flash holes not properly formed not so common but does happen.
No need to clean them but running them through a FL die will sort out or highlight any issues with new brass.
1 x

Ojaileveraction
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Ojaileveraction » Sat Mar 09, 2019 10:48 am

ESquared wrote:Am I the only one who decaps as a first and totally separate step?
I like to decap, clean and then resize my 45-70 and 357. The bottle neck cases I feel compelled to decap and resize then clean because of the need for lube inside the case for the expander. If it is not cleaned out, Powder sticks to the inside of the neck.
Tim
0 x
Pax at Justitia

fortyshooter
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by fortyshooter » Sat Mar 09, 2019 11:18 am

You left out a very important final step... Load....aim....close eyes and pray....pull trigger! :mrgreen:
But that is a nice way to plan and organize your loading process!

I decap my brass and throw it in my tumbler with crushed walnut shells. Then a quick clean out with cotton swap inside case and primer pocket.
Hand prime using RCBS primer tool and then straight into my Dillon 550B press.
Of course there is powder weight checks and COL plus crimp checks during loading process.
1 x

RanchRoper
Forum Ambassador
Canada

Post by RanchRoper » Sat Mar 09, 2019 6:57 pm

I will be dry tumbling the brass and will not decap until the first step on the press I think. Don't have a routine yet but I am certain some Sons of the Pioneers tunes will be part of it...
3 x
1860 Colt SA Richards Conversion Revolver .45C
1860 Henry .45C
1885 High Wall .45C
1820-1840 Frontier Percussion .50
1790-1820 Frontier Flintlock .50

Ohkínohkomit - Shoot skillfully

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Sat Mar 09, 2019 7:29 pm

RanchRoper wrote:I will be dry tumbling the brass and will not decap until the first step on the press I think. Don't have a routine yet but I am certain some Sons of the Pioneers tunes will be part of it...
with the exception of a contribution from the Sons of the Pioneers, that's pretty much what we do .... we tumble our fired brass in walnut media, then separate it .... when we get ready to load, we take a bucket of the casings we are loading and the process begins
0 x

CT_Shooter
Administrator emeritus
United States of America

Post by CT_Shooter » Sun Mar 10, 2019 8:17 am

RanchRoper wrote:I will be dry tumbling the brass and will not decap until the first step on the press I think. Don't have a routine yet but I am certain some Sons of the Pioneers tunes will be part of it...
That's my practice, too. I use walnut shell reptile bedding along with a cap full of NuFinish and an equal amount of mineral spirits. I bought the bedding from Amazon; it's a lot cheaper and there's no difference.

I don't listen to music when reloading, however. Don't want to lose my rhythm. 8-)
2 x
H006M Big Boy Brass .357 - H001 Classic .22LR - Uberti / Taylors & Co. SmokeWagon .357 5.5" - Uberti / Taylors & Co. RanchHand .22LR 5.5"