Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Adjusting for Different Bullet Length

All things reloading here
ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Re: Adjusting for Different Bullet Length

Post by ESquared » Tue Jan 08, 2019 6:15 pm

Got it. I've been consistently getting 1.586 to 1.588 with the 110 gr (the Fiocchi factory ammo I've got is even shorter, with their 142 gr flat nosed). I'll play around with it.
0 x
BB Steel .357 | SGC 22LR | LR .308 | CCH 30-30 | BB Brass .45 Colt (Carbine) | Single Shot 20 gauge | Single Shot .223 | Single Shot 357

Florida_Cracker
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by Florida_Cracker » Wed Jan 09, 2019 6:23 pm

With regard to your question "Any idea how many turns ....". If you know the thread pitch of the adjuster knob, then divide it into 1" and that will be the change per revolution. I use Dillon dies and the whole die is adjusted up/down for seating. It is an industry standard 7/8" x 14 die. Since the pitch is 14 turns/inch, each full revolution of the die is 0.071 inches.
0 x

ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Post by ESquared » Wed Jan 09, 2019 6:33 pm

This was probably one of the dumbest questions posted EVER, so I'm sorry to have wasted your bandwidth. There's really hardly any adjustment required at all.

I loaded up a dummy round with the 158 gr boolit without touching the seating die at all and it came out exactly at the same length as the 110s I've been loading. The fact that they're both Hornady no doubt made this easier/less complicated, but OAL is OAL.

<Slaps own forehead>
2 x
BB Steel .357 | SGC 22LR | LR .308 | CCH 30-30 | BB Brass .45 Colt (Carbine) | Single Shot 20 gauge | Single Shot .223 | Single Shot 357

Florida_Cracker
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by Florida_Cracker » Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:55 am

ESquared - You mentioned using Hornady. Brass or bullet?
I tried reloading some range pick-up Hornady 357 brass and found the case to be MUCH shorter than the Federal or the Starline cases I purchased.
Just Fyi.
0 x

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:08 am

Florida_Cracker wrote:ESquared - You mentioned using Hornady. Brass or bullet?
I tried reloading some range pick-up Hornady 357 brass and found the case to be MUCH shorter than the Federal or the Starline cases I purchased.
Just Fyi.

I know that to be true for the LEVERevolution 45-70 cases .... they can be reloaded but only with the same style bullets Hornady loads at the factory .... no doubt, that is by design .... I have been told that is true for other calibers, thanks for corroboration
0 x

CT_Shooter
Administrator emeritus
United States of America

Post by CT_Shooter » Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:06 pm

Florida_Cracker, those range pickups must have been loaded with FTX bullets.

According to Hornady's Handbook, Ninth Edition, their .357 magnum FTX bullets require a case length of 1.24; all other bullets use the usual saami specified case length of 1.28-1.29 (max).
Florida_Cracker wrote:ESquared - You mentioned using Hornady. Brass or bullet?
Just Fyi.
JEBar wrote: I know that to be true for the LEVERevolution 45-70 cases .... they can be reloaded but only with the same style bullets Hornady loads at the factory .... no doubt, that is by design .... I have been told that is true for other calibers, thanks for corroboration
1 x
H006M Big Boy Brass .357 - H001 Classic .22LR - Uberti / Taylors & Co. SmokeWagon .357 5.5" - Uberti / Taylors & Co. RanchHand .22LR 5.5"

Flinch
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Flinch » Wed Jan 16, 2019 3:19 pm

This recommendation is loosely related. When changing die depths to accommodate loading different bullets or different brass, i.e. switching from .38 Special to .357 Magnum brass, I measure the distance from the top of the die to a fixed point on the tool head or reloading press with a dial caliper and log the information in my reloading bench book. That way I can save time by adjusting the die to the recorded measurement instead of making adjustments through trial and error. It's saved me a great deal of time when switching from one bullet profile to another.
0 x
Be thankful we are not getting all the government we are paying for. - Will Rogers

Cattle Driver
Australia

Post by 220 » Wed Jan 16, 2019 3:28 pm

If you really want to save time swapping from 38spl - 357 you can get a washer machined to the correct size that goes under the die and simply remove or replace it when swapping. Redding used to sell them not sure if they still do.
0 x