Tell us about your reloading press

All things reloading here
BruniX
Cowhand
France

Tell us about your reloading press

Post by BruniX » Sun Jan 06, 2019 4:30 am

hey mens !

tell us whart is your favorite press and why....
how many rounds do you reload with it, by month ?

if you had to change, what would you like as a model / brand?

As I had never practiced, I preferred to start very small and portable : lee breech hand press ...
I will not reload a lot of ammunition this year ... max 20 rounds by week ...

if it works well, within a year, I will equip myself with more powerful equipment. I envisioned some models, if some of you know them,
I am interested to have your experience ...:
example
Rcbs summit (for low footprint and interesting concept)
Lyman 8t seems very strength , possible to mount two 4 die set...
Redding 7t (for strength, one life tool !, and practicality with die sets of different caliber)
0 x
"Those who forget the past are condemned to relive it"
W. Churchill

Shadow 2 SA - CZ
P08 - Luger
AR-15 - SDI
586 - S&W
97 - CZ
T3 Tac. - Tikka
1895 SBL - Marlin
1860 COLT - Pietta

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Re: Tell us about your reloading press

Post by Mistered » Sun Jan 06, 2019 6:18 am

I started with a RCBS Rockchucker about 42 years ago - and eventually added a Forster (Bonanza) Co-Ax press - which is undoubtedly the finest SINGLE STAGE press of all.
I probably average several hundred rounds a month. I have never felt the need for anything faster or more efficient as I can switch calibers and loads very quickly. I shoot often so I don't have to 'plan' range trips (heck no range - just woods) and prepare 100s (or thousands) of rounds for a planned or scheduled shooting excursion.
It's kind of a mess in this picture and I have since cleared it up ! This was during a
Particularly high - output loading phase!
To answer your question though if I were just starting out I would probably look into a turret style press for quick die change out. I might also eventually look into an electronic powder scale for quicker setting of my powder measure.
Attachments
IMG_0701.JPG
IMG_0701.JPG (336.6 KiB) Viewed 1772 times
Last edited by Mistered on Sun Jan 06, 2019 6:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
1 x

BruniX
Cowhand
France

Post by BruniX » Sun Jan 06, 2019 6:43 am

Mistered wrote:I started with a RCBS Rockchucker about 42 years ago - and eventually added a Forster (Bonanza) Co-Ax press - which is undoubtedly the finest SINGLE STAGE press of all.
I probably average several hundred rounds a month. I have never felt the need for anything faster or more efficient as I can switch calibers and loads very quickly. I shoot often so I don't have to 'plan' range trips (heck no range - just woods) and prepare 100s (or thousands) of rounds for a planned or scheduled shooting excursion.
It's kind of a mess in this picture and I have since cleared it up ! This was during a
Particularly high - output loading phase!
Whouah !
Serious tooling for serious reloader ! :o
many people say that rock chucker rcbs is a safe bet...

what are the advantage of the forster one ?
obviously many people find it excellent....!
0 x
W. Churchill

Shadow 2 SA - CZ
P08 - Luger
AR-15 - SDI
586 - S&W
97 - CZ
T3 Tac. - Tikka
1895 SBL - Marlin
1860 COLT - Pietta

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Sun Jan 06, 2019 10:30 am

what are the advantage of the forster one ?
The quick change die system and the universal, mechanical shell holder.
1 x

clovishound
Drover
United States of America

Post by clovishound » Sun Jan 06, 2019 12:04 pm

I've been using the Lee Classic Turret press for a number of years. Clovispup and I have slowed down on shooting the last 6 months, but for a number of years I was loading around a thousand rounds a month on it. I like being able to swap out calibers in less than a minute. It's also great not having to adjust dies everytime I change them. It's also nice not to only have to touch the shell once during the loading process.

I am interested in the new Lee Progressive. It is ridiculously cheap for a progressive, and appears to work around many of the issues of progressives costing many, many times more. It's still too new to get a handle on how well they actually work, but initial reports are fairly positive. I've always thought that progressive presses are best left for those that have some experience under their belt.

As to scales, I have both an electronic scale and a beam style. The electronic scale is a bit finicky, but works well enough for most things. I started with a Lee scale, but found it too much of a pain. I ended up with an RCBS beam which is easy to use and accurate. I use it to double check my electronic scale, and for more precision weighing.
1 x
There is, I think, humor here which does not translate well from English to sanity. - Sanya

Ojaileveraction
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Ojaileveraction » Sun Jan 06, 2019 3:49 pm

I got a Hornady Lock-n-load classic press.
I decapp using universal recap die or a hand held.
Franklin Armoury Tumbler
I prime and bell at one step.
I use a Dillon Precision scale measure every load.
Use Hornady Custom Grade Dies for rifle cartridges because I like the sleeve on the bullets seater. Use RCBS, for straight wall cartridges.
I like the Dillon Case Lubricant.
0 x
Pax at Justitia

Cattle Driver
Australia

Post by 220 » Sun Jan 06, 2019 4:35 pm

First press I purchased was a rcbs partner press in the 80's, still use it for loading rifle ammo. Haven't kept accurate records of how many it has loaded but used it for quite a few years when I got into pistol shooting. It would have loaded some where between 50-100k rounds.
Only breakage has been the handle stripping out, welder took care of that problem.
0 x

fortyshooter
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by fortyshooter » Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:30 pm

I have the Dillon 550B which I bought back in 2014 which is when I started to reload.
A nice sturdy press that is easy to setup and make caliber change overs. Plus Dillon has great customer service and a lifetime warranty.

One change I did make was to do the case priming off the loader using the RCBS hand primer. Makes the loading process a bit smoother for me not having to worry if a primer hangs up or gets in crooked.

I also knock out the primers on an old single stage press before cleaning my brass. This operation is done out in my garage and the loading done in the house.
0 x

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:59 pm

our mid 60's vintage RCBS Rock Chucker has and continues to be our go to press for bottleneck cartridges and precision/hunting ammo .... our Hornady Lock-n-load press is for straightwall revolver cartridges (using RCBS carbide dies) .... when we need to load large numbers of range ammo it really does a good job .... regardless of the press, with the exception of Lee crimp dies, we only use ones from RCBS .... the most expensive piece of reloading equipment (Outside of a press) we've purchased is a RCBS 98923 Chargemaster Combo Scale/Dispenser ===> https://www.amazon.com/RCBS-98923-Charg ... +dispenser .... I had to think and rethink about it before buying it .... now what we've been using it for several years, I wouldn't want to load precision/hunting ammo without it
0 x

BruniX
Cowhand
France

Post by BruniX » Mon Jan 07, 2019 2:43 am

JEBar wrote:our mid 60's vintage RCBS Rock Chucker has and continues to be our go to press for bottleneck cartridges and precision/hunting ammo .... our Hornady Lock-n-load press is for straightwall revolver cartridges (using RCBS carbide dies) .... when we need to load large numbers of range ammo it really does a good job .... regardless of the press, with the exception of Lee crimp dies, we only use ones from RCBS .... the most expensive piece of reloading equipment (Outside of a press) we've purchased is a RCBS 98923 Chargemaster Combo Scale/Dispenser ===> https://www.amazon.com/RCBS-98923-Charg ... +dispenser .... I had to think and rethink about it before buying it .... now what we've been using it for several years, I wouldn't want to load precision/hunting ammo without it
hello, jebar,
waht is the avantage of rcbs chargemaster ?
accuracy ? speed of mesure for reloading ? security ?
i imagine that it is justified to make a large number of round reloading , because it is an expensive equipment !
0 x
W. Churchill

Shadow 2 SA - CZ
P08 - Luger
AR-15 - SDI
586 - S&W
97 - CZ
T3 Tac. - Tikka
1895 SBL - Marlin
1860 COLT - Pietta