Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Tales from the Bench (FINALLY)!

All things reloading here
Vaquero
Ranch Boss
United States of America

Re: Tales from the Bench (FINALLY)!

Post by Vaquero » Tue Jan 01, 2019 5:16 pm

Neat box. Yes I could see that being handy.

RP
0 x
Monte Walsh "You have No idea how little I care". :lol:

Ain't No Apologies for My Temperament :shock:
Si vis pacem, para bellum
H001, H006, H012

fortyshooter
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by fortyshooter » Tue Jan 01, 2019 5:17 pm

Even though I have the Dillon 550B press I still prefer to use the hand primer as it just makes things smoother in loading operation.
The RCBS brand hand loader has worked really well for the last several years. Yes you might get a primer that might jam up in the feeder plate inlet but no big deal. Using it takes the issue of a primer not seating correctly or not feeding on the Dillon press which can happen on occasion.

Just finished up cleaning some .45 ACP brass using the Cabela's tumbler with crushed walnut shells and it seems to work really well.
Sit back and watch some football tonight while priming!

The more you load you will find better ways to speed up the process and get great quality loads.
Looks like you are on the way!
2 x

ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Post by ESquared » Tue Jan 01, 2019 5:49 pm

Question for the group (or Mods/Admins):

Once I get these first loads to the range, try the out and have some results, do I post that here (in "Reloading") or in "Range Reports"?
0 x
BB Steel .357 | SGC 22LR | LR .308 | CCH 30-30 | BB Brass .45 Colt (Carbine) | Single Shot 20 gauge | Single Shot .223 | Single Shot 357

CT_Shooter
Administrator emeritus
United States of America

Post by CT_Shooter » Tue Jan 01, 2019 6:21 pm

ESquared wrote:Once I get these first loads to the range, try them out and have some results, do I post that here (in "Reloading") or in "Range Reports"?
Since you're providing us with follow-up info on your venture into reloading, I think this would be a very appropriate place to add range pictures and descriptions. If you were inclined, you could also post a link to your post here in "Range Reports" to cover the bases.

FYI. Keep your eye on the rounds you made that only have a slight crimp. When I first started reloading, I had a small batch like that, too. The bullets were pushed deeper into the cases in the mag tube from the recoil. That may not happen with yours, but be aware.
0 x
H006M Big Boy Brass .357 - H001 Classic .22LR - Uberti / Taylors & Co. SmokeWagon .357 5.5" - Uberti / Taylors & Co. RanchHand .22LR 5.5"

Vaquero
Ranch Boss
United States of America

Post by Vaquero » Tue Jan 01, 2019 6:41 pm

ESquared wrote:Question for the group (or Mods/Admins):

Once I get these first loads to the range, try the out and have some results, do I post that here (in "Reloading") or in "Range Reports"?
You could post it here but you might want to start a thread.
Then you can post updates.
And get some feed back, and even give some insight to your developments.

RP
1 x
Monte Walsh "You have No idea how little I care". :lol:

Ain't No Apologies for My Temperament :shock:
Si vis pacem, para bellum
H001, H006, H012

ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Post by ESquared » Tue Jan 01, 2019 7:46 pm

CT_Shooter wrote:
ESquared wrote:Once I get these first loads to the range, try them out and have some results, do I post that here (in "Reloading") or in "Range Reports"?
Since you're providing us with follow-up info on your venture into reloading, I think this would be a very appropriate place to add range pictures and descriptions. If you were inclined, you could also post a link to your post here in "Range Reports" to cover the bases.

FYI. Keep your eye on the rounds you made that only have a slight crimp. When I first started reloading, I had a small batch like that, too. The bullets were pushed deeper into the cases in the mag tube from the recoil. That may not happen with yours, but be aware.
Sounds like a plan, posting-wise.

As to the crimps, they're all the same, done with the Lee FCD. It's the one on the right. Does it look crimped enough? All I could do was compare it to the FIocchi factory round (on the left), which doesn't appear to have much of a crimp at all (to my untrained eye) and with which I've had no problems with bullets retreating into the case under fire. Will watch it, though, thanks for the heads up.
Attachments
Reloading First Try Dec 31 2018 006.JPG
Reloading First Try Dec 31 2018 006.JPG (146.26 KiB) Viewed 1268 times
Reloading First Try Dec 31 2018 005.JPG
Reloading First Try Dec 31 2018 005.JPG (179.22 KiB) Viewed 1268 times
0 x
BB Steel .357 | SGC 22LR | LR .308 | CCH 30-30 | BB Brass .45 Colt (Carbine) | Single Shot 20 gauge | Single Shot .223 | Single Shot 357

ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Post by ESquared » Tue Jan 01, 2019 7:47 pm

Vaquero wrote:
ESquared wrote:Question for the group (or Mods/Admins):

You could post it here but you might want to start a thread.
Then you can post updates.
And get some feed back, and even give some insight to your developments.

RP
Great idea. New thread. Thanks,
0 x

fortyshooter
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by fortyshooter » Tue Jan 01, 2019 7:57 pm

Looks to be a decent crimp. Do you have a .357 revolver to try these rounds in also?
If so you could load up a few and fire all but one and compare COL to the other unfired.

Do you have a chronograph? That is another useful tool to test your load data.
1 x

clovishound
Drover
United States of America

Post by clovishound » Tue Jan 01, 2019 8:34 pm

I usually just tap the test round a few times on the bench. Measure before and after. If it shrinks, I adjust the crimp down a little more. I normally use a light crimp, unless more is necessary.
1 x
There is, I think, humor here which does not translate well from English to sanity. - Sanya

mrguvna
Wrangler
United States of America

Post by mrguvna » Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:14 am

nice set-up and a great adventure you just began with reloading.
1 x