Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Tales from the Bench (FINALLY)!

All things reloading here
ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Tales from the Bench (FINALLY)!

Post by ESquared » Mon Dec 31, 2018 6:34 pm

I’m not usually this slow and plodding (to which my rapid Henry acquisitions will attest), but I approached this whole reloading journey with an abundance of caution and got lots of tips and advice along the way (you know who you are!).

Had to get the gear in order, starting with the “workstation,” as we used to say in corporate America, and even the additional bench wasn’t enough workspace, so I added the raised table (and casters) at 90-degrees.

After prepping a bunch of 357 cases (both new and once-fired), I tuned up the Lee dies, resizing even the new Hornady brass (just because); worked through a bunch of “dummy loads” to experiment with the expanding and bullet seating dies in order to get to proper length, and zeroed in the factory crimp die as well.

I ran into my first major road-block when it came to priming. My Hornady kit came with their hand-held priming tool, and, sorry to say, it was a huge disappointment. Too much play in the tray’s lid led to primers feeding in sideways (after about 15 successful rounds, so don’t know what happened), which led to a monumental jam-up of a casing, the shell holder and the primer. That did not end well, let me just let it go at that.

Quick research led me to the Frankford Arsenal hand-loading device and what a tool! Rock solid, built like a tank and totally adjustable for depth of primer in the case. Nice case and a dozen shell holders included. Worth every penny! Getting that ordered and delivered over the holiday cost me a few days, but so be it. Here’s a link, in case you’re interested:

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/58248 ... iming-tool

In the meantime, I’d also added the RCBS Chargemaster Lite, as on-press powder loading didn’t fit with my visually-oriented brain. Got it calibrated in no time. Nice adjustable feet made for quick leveling, too! I’d be lying if I said I had no problems keeping all those tiny powder specks corralled, but such is the newbie life!

Don’t know whether I needed to de-burr and chamfer each case, but I did, just because it made me feel better.

Sticking with my “walk before you run” philosophy, I only loaded up 30 rounds today, using the 110gr XTPs that Hornady sent me 500 of as part of their rebate program (for buying the Kit) and Unique at 7.5 gr, 8.5 gr and 9.5 gr (10 of each), based on Lyman’s data that called for a minimum of 7.4 gr and a max of 10.0. Winchester small pistol magnum primers.

Ended up with overall lengths of right at 1.586-1.588” (vs. SAAMI of 1.590”) which was interesting vs. my factory Fiocchi 142 gr, that measured 1.579”. It also appears that the Fiocchi has almost zero crimp, but I guess that stands to reason as it’s not made specifically for lever action rifles.
Anyway, here’s some pics of the finished lineup, 7.5s in front, 8.5s in the middle row and 9.5s in the rear (marked the cases with a Sharpie, just in case). Also a pic of the Fiocchi side-by-side with the hand-load, from which you may (or may not) be able to see the differences in the crimp. And my little workstation!

Thanks again for all the advice and encouragement. Off to the range later this week to see how these little guys perform. Hopefully one load will stand out, as I got on a roll today and have 132 cases totally prepped and ready for powder and bullets once I figure out the right formula!
Attachments
Reloading First Try Dec 31 2018 004.JPG
Reloading First Try Dec 31 2018 004.JPG (135.97 KiB) Viewed 1418 times
Reloading First Try Dec 31 2018 005.JPG
Reloading First Try Dec 31 2018 005.JPG (179.22 KiB) Viewed 1418 times
Reloading First Try Dec 31 2018 006.JPG
Reloading First Try Dec 31 2018 006.JPG (146.26 KiB) Viewed 1418 times
Reloading First Try Dec 31 2018 007.JPG
Reloading First Try Dec 31 2018 007.JPG (93.76 KiB) Viewed 1418 times
Reloading First Try Dec 31 2018 008.JPG
Reloading First Try Dec 31 2018 008.JPG (131.83 KiB) Viewed 1418 times
5 x
BB Steel .357 | SGC 22LR | LR .308 | CCH 30-30 | BB Brass .45 Colt (Carbine) | Single Shot 20 gauge | Single Shot .223 | Single Shot 357

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Re: Tales from the Bench (FINALLY)!

Post by Mags » Mon Dec 31, 2018 9:12 pm

You've made a good go at it! Love the title too. Awesome.
ESquared wrote:...
1 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Mon Dec 31, 2018 9:29 pm

you are clearly on your way .... most of the time we prime our shells on our press but also have an RCBS Hand Primer ====> https://www.amazon.com/RCBS-90200-Hand- ... iming+Tool .... I've never used a Hornady hand primer but am surprised it didn't work well .... do you have access to a Chrony .. :?: .. if so, you can learn a great deal from testing the consistency of your ammo's muzzle velocities ... please keep the reports coming
1 x

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Mon Dec 31, 2018 10:44 pm

As the Hulkster would say OH Yeah!!!!!!!!!!!! whatca gonna do. Yup the trials and experimentations of the beginning reloader. I havent ever used one of those hand priming tools that I liked. May just be me but like JEbar says Ive always done the priming on my press. Gives me a better feel and I can do it at the same time I expand the case mouth. Its all just what works for you. Youre loads look good from what I seen Evan keep those cards and letters comin brother
1 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Post by ESquared » Mon Dec 31, 2018 11:11 pm

Thanks, men! My kit didn't come with the proper plumbing/attachments to enable the press to do the priming (hence their rotten tool), or I'd have gone that way. As it is, this F.A. tool has great "feel" to it, as well. Nothing "plasticky" about it.

Chrono is a good idea, but I don't know enough about 'em to know if one would work at my indoor range or not. Don't you have to place the part of it that measures velocity some distance out in front of the muzzle? How far? Maybe I should YouTube it, huh?
0 x
BB Steel .357 | SGC 22LR | LR .308 | CCH 30-30 | BB Brass .45 Colt (Carbine) | Single Shot 20 gauge | Single Shot .223 | Single Shot 357

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Tue Jan 01, 2019 9:59 am

I just noticed on the bench you have a rcbs 1500 chargemaster. How do you like it?
0 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Post by ESquared » Tue Jan 01, 2019 11:14 am

BigAl52 wrote:I just noticed on the bench you have a rcbs 1500 chargemaster. How do you like it?
The 1500 has all the bells and whistles. I've got the "Chargemaster Lite," which is just fine by me. Don't have anything to compare it to, and I'm sure if I had previously owned the 1500 that this one would be a "step down," but such is the benefit of not knowing any better.

Set up and calibration was very easy, it has an "Auto" mode that automatically reloads same charge onto the tray once you simply set it down on the platten, clean out was pretty quick and easy and, most important to me, I can see what's going on.

Not the fastest in the world (again, I have no basis for comparison), but I'd rather sacrifice a few minutes per session for the sake of accuracy, and it seems to be super accurate.

Ratings seem to be good, so don't take my word for it!

https://www.amazon.com/RCBS-Scales-Char ... aster+1500
1 x

Rifletom
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by Rifletom » Tue Jan 01, 2019 3:22 pm

Evan, you're off to an excellent start! Good looking rounds you made there. A new bench always looks sooo clean. And, I'm likin' that tackle box there. Where'd you snag that from? Can't wait for the range report.
1 x

Vaquero
Ranch Boss
United States of America

Post by Vaquero » Tue Jan 01, 2019 3:35 pm

Good lookin setup, and some nice lookin reloads also.

Did a little cleaning on my bench yesterday, can actually see the table top now. :lol:

RP
1 x
Monte Walsh "You have No idea how little I care". :lol:

Ain't No Apologies for My Temperament :shock:
Si vis pacem, para bellum
H001, H006, H012

ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Post by ESquared » Tue Jan 01, 2019 4:50 pm

Rifletom wrote:Evan, you're off to an excellent start! Good looking rounds you made there. A new bench always looks sooo clean. And, I'm likin' that tackle box there. Where'd you snag that from? Can't wait for the range report.
Thanks, Tom. That box is the bargain of the whole project so far! A Harbor Freight special, scored with a 20% Off Deal, available TODAY at 25% Off, but still a pretty good buy for the money, no matter what. Pretty simple construction, but felt-lined drawers, two with dividers. Simple wooden drawer slides, so I used some bee's wax on 'em to make 'em slide a bit smoother. Nice lock (for what it is) and pretty heavy duty.

Great for keeping all those tool and dies out of the dust that swirls in a garage.

https://www.harborfreight.com/8-drawer- ... 62585.html
2 x