Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

A Couple Of Observations

All things reloading here
JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

A Couple Of Observations

Post by JEBar » Fri Dec 28, 2018 8:57 pm

based on a visit to our local Cabela's this morning, it appears certain that the shortage of powder, bullets and other handloading supplies has eased off considerably .... at first I was a bit concerned with the empty spaces on the shelves behind the counter where they display their gunpowder .... the fellows working the counter were busy, they've instituted a take a number process to get one on one help with firearms .... in the shotgun area they were 3 to 5 numbers behind .... having read reports that in some areas they make it a bit tough to get a good look at a firearm, I was most relieved to see no such encumbrances .... the clerk would take the shot gun the customer wanted to see and make a clear effort to open/work the action so as to confirm it was unloaded .... when the customer handed it back, the clerk repeated the process and placed it back in the rack .... the clerk worked directly one on one with each customer .... I after a few minutes I one who was between customers about H110 powder (none on display) and the fellow went through a door into another room behind the counter .... he brought out 2 one pound cans for me and had 2 more to put on the display shelf .... he said that sales has been strong and while they tried to keep the shelves stocked, they often got behind .... I too the time to look at the bullets display shelves and their were only a couple of empty spaces .... granted, for the most part, only 2 or so of each were on the shelves .... that's a far cry from mostly empty shelves that I saw there a while back
4 x

fortyshooter
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Re: A Couple Of Observations

Post by fortyshooter » Fri Dec 28, 2018 10:35 pm

Our Cabelas is 40 miles away but I find they are the only local store that has a wide selection of brass and bullets for reloading.
My closest gun shop 1.5 miles away has a very nice selection of powders more than Cabela's but not much in brass or bullets.
0 x

ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Post by ESquared » Sat Dec 29, 2018 10:00 am

I don't know how big a chain Scheel's is, but, in comparison shopping powders (1 lb, mainly), their pricing is about $4-$6 less per lb. Good selection of a wide array of reloading supplies (including LOTS of powders), from bullets to equipment.
0 x
BB Steel .357 | SGC 22LR | LR .308 | CCH 30-30 | BB Brass .45 Colt (Carbine) | Single Shot 20 gauge | Single Shot .223 | Single Shot 357

mrguvna
Wrangler
United States of America

Post by mrguvna » Thu Jan 03, 2019 11:27 am

I have not seen any problem in SE Virginia obtaining any powder or primers in years. The bass pro and other shops in area have plenty of supply and variety, and if they don't have it the gun shows will coming soon.
0 x

wingnut
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by wingnut » Sat Jan 05, 2019 11:37 am

JEBar wrote:... it appears certain that the shortage of powder, bullets and other handloading supplies has eased off considerably .... at first I was a bit concerned with the empty spaces on the shelves behind the counter where they display their gunpowder ....
That and we no longer have to buy ammo thusly:
45acp-box.jpg
45acp-box.jpg (25.58 KiB) Viewed 909 times
:D
2 x
You're born & you die. In between you get to shoot a bunch guns. Kind of sums up life to me. - Colorado Bob