Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

"Too much" is dangerous, but "not enough" can also be dangerous !

All things reloading here
BruniX
Cowhand
France

"Too much" is dangerous, but "not enough" can also be dangerous !

Post by BruniX » Thu Dec 20, 2018 2:47 am

Recently I begin to read(slowly, because i need to translate :D ) "Lee Modern reloading"

and i find a scary information :shock: :

low powder charge can be dangerous, with slow burning powder and too much empty space in big case
(i think 45-70 is one...)

it seems to be very difficult to recreate conditions in laboratory for that, but it can happens ! :o

As many beginners like me could have made this mistake, I thought it necessary to mention it and protect it in your opinion to confirm this really astonishing fact.

By the way, this gives me a new question to ask:
What could be the point of using a "slow" powder?

bruniX
1 x
"Those who forget the past are condemned to relive it"
W. Churchill

Shadow 2 SA - CZ
P08 - Luger
AR-15 - SDI
586 - S&W
97 - CZ
T3 Tac. - Tikka
1895 SBL - Marlin
1860 COLT - Pietta

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Re: "Too much" is dangerous, but "not enough" can also be dangerous !

Post by Mistered » Thu Dec 20, 2018 7:13 am

With regard to powders it's not so much as there being a 'point' to their use but more of what you are planning to do.
Typically slow powders are used for higher end, higher velocity loads with heavier bullets such as what might be used for hunting or longer distance shooting.
Faster powders are typically used for 'lighter' loads OR loads with smaller cases with less capacity (such as certain handgun rounds).
Regardless you need to study your reloading manual(s) to learn about the various powders and loads for whatever caliber(s) you will be loading for and always start with the lowest powder charge shown in the manual for the particular load and powder you are using!
A reloading manual is largely in part a "DIRECTIVE' and needs to be followed.
2 x

tunnug
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by tunnug » Thu Dec 20, 2018 9:37 am

Yup, also with certain calibers, how deep the bullet sits will affect pressures, 9mm is one that comes to mind, very important to use a good manual and follow the recipes listed.
1 x
"People in Arizona carry guns," said Detective David Ramer, a Chandler police spokesman. You better be careful about who you are picking on...

GaHenryFan
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by GaHenryFan » Thu Dec 20, 2018 11:08 am

Reloading is a delicate business. Careful research and testing is a must. That being said, I'm a huge fan of fast powders because I enjoy subsonic loads. Some of my 45-70 loads use tiny amounts of powder that seem ridiculous in a case that size, but produce very safe and accurate rounds. Like Mistered, I only use slow powders for high velocity loads. A slower burn produces velocities that can't be attained with a fast powder in rifle barrels.
0 x

mrguvna
Wrangler
United States of America

Post by mrguvna » Thu Dec 20, 2018 11:10 am

you ask good questions, might find this interesting reading.

http://www.gmdr.com/lever/lowveldata.htm

slow powders, fast powders are broken down to conductive and convective powders. So not all void space is dangerous and fillers are not always needed for light charges. Just need to understand the mechanism behind the powder and pressure curves.

most loading manuals will focus on proven safe loads for selective bullets and powders. I would not stray far from those listed and all should be well. I also use the Ken Waters Pet Loads book as he explains a lot of the interesting aspects of reloading various calibers and various guns.

Keep reading and asking questions, your on the right path
1 x

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Thu Dec 20, 2018 11:21 am

BruniX wrote:Recently I begin to read(slowly, because i need to translate :D ) "Lee Modern reloading"

and i find a scary information :shock: :

bruniX

safety cautions found in reloading manuals are there for a reason .... in short, for liability reasons, lawyers want them to tell folks what NOT to do .... it is easy and to over think such warnings .... the bottom line is, as others have repeatedly noted, follow the recommendation given for your firearm .... example : your Henry 45-70 is designed to safely handle trapdoor and Marlin 1895 loads ....that doesn't mean your individual rifle will like them, just that they are safe to use .... ours doesn't like low end trapdoor loads .... so we've had to move up the scale to find one it likes
1 x

mrguvna
Wrangler
United States of America

Post by mrguvna » Thu Dec 20, 2018 11:39 am

Hey JEBar

I found that my Marlin 1895 likes hot loads with jacketed bullets but my ruger #1 likes light loads and lead bullets. go figger. I do have some full house loads only for the ruger in barnes 250 gr HP at 2500 fpps, they are watermelon smashers..............
0 x

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Thu Dec 20, 2018 12:06 pm

mrguvna wrote:Hey JEBar

I found that my Marlin 1895 likes hot loads with jacketed bullets but my ruger #1 likes light loads and lead bullets. go figger. I do have some full house loads only for the ruger in barnes 250 gr HP at 2500 fpps, they are watermelon smashers..............
I bet they are .. :D .. the issue we've had with light (low end trapdoor) IMR 4198 powder charges is they produce inconsistent muzzle velocities .... I'm currently working with 44 gr pushing a Nosler/Winchester combined technologies 300 gr Ballistic Silvertip and early results look good
0 x

clovishound
Drover
United States of America

Post by clovishound » Fri Dec 21, 2018 1:31 pm

Color me a little skeptical on the light load detonation theory.

If it were a real issue, I would think that black powder cartridges, like .38 and .44 would have easily identifiable issues.

In my mind the major danger of a light load is a squib, followed by firing another bullet down a blocked barrel. That is a well documented hazard.
0 x
There is, I think, humor here which does not translate well from English to sanity. - Sanya

GaHenryFan
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by GaHenryFan » Fri Dec 21, 2018 5:44 pm

clovishound wrote:Color me a little skeptical on the light load detonation theory.

If it were a real issue, I would think that black powder cartridges, like .38 and .44 would have easily identifiable issues.

In my mind the major danger of a light load is a squib, followed by firing another bullet down a blocked barrel. That is a well documented hazard.
I'm a skeptic when it comes to the detonation theory too. You're right about squibs. There's a fine line between a load that will clear the bore and one that won't. You really have to be vigilant if you load at these levels.
0 x