Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Reloading Pistol cartridges

All things reloading here
BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Re: Reloading Pistol cartridges

Post by BigAl52 » Wed Dec 12, 2018 9:22 pm

JEBar wrote:recommending a press is much like recommending a brand of truck .... the bottom line is they will all load bullets but some folks prefer one and others prefer another .... most of us seem to have started with a single stage press that was bought as a kit .... my personal preference is for a RCBS .... I used to suggest starting with one of their kits but I've come to realize that several key items in a starter kit are often upgraded rather quickly .... a balance beam scale is but one example .... for folks who are just getting into reloading I recommend trying to link up with someone who does and watch his operation .... even better if you can spend some time with more than one .... just keep the personal preference in mind
Speakin of trucks I know you are a chevy man have you seen what there going to put out on the street in the HD version?
0 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Wed Dec 12, 2018 9:41 pm

so, what's going on :?:
0 x

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Wed Dec 12, 2018 9:49 pm

https://www.motor1.com/news/285281/2020 ... -hd-debut/

It may appeal to some but Im not one of them
0 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Wed Dec 12, 2018 10:16 pm

I'm not either .... that would not be a trim package I'd order
0 x

Travlin
Cowboy

Post by Travlin » Thu Dec 13, 2018 12:22 am

What does that have to do with handloading pistol cartridges?
0 x

.45Steel
Wrangler
United States of America

Post by .45Steel » Thu Dec 13, 2018 4:44 pm

CT_Shooter wrote:I have only used a LEE PRECISION Breech Lock Challenger Kit (single stage press). I had to buy .357 dies, quick change bushings, and few other tools, but it came with most everything I needed to get started and was comparatively inexpensive. I've been reloading with it for five years and see no reason to change.
I also started with Lee equipment 7 yrs. ago. A Breechlock kit. I'm still using it today. I enjoy the process and never felt the need to go faster.
3 x
H010G 45-70
H012 .45 Colt
H001TER .22

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Thu Dec 13, 2018 11:27 pm

Sorry Travelin. I just thought maybe we needed a new truck to haul all those new reloaded pistol cartridges and loading equipment to the range. I agree with the single stage idea especially for 45 colt. I own several Dillons and the larger pistol cartridges I still load single stage. Matter of fact if I didnt already have these dillons I wouldnt buy one because I just dont do enough volume to warrant it. Carver you might check Craigslist and ebay for used stuff. Also Gunbroker might be someplace to look for starter kits as mentioned there all good. I happen to like Redding and RCBS. But thats just me.
3 x

H001T .22LR
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

Carver
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Carver » Fri Dec 14, 2018 12:12 am

Thanks everyone for the information I’m going try and get together with some people that reload and see if I can come up with a workable plan.
1 x

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Fri Dec 14, 2018 1:01 am

Matter of fact if I didn't already have these dillons I wouldn't buy one because I just don't do enough volume to warrant it.
Probably the most 'prophetic' statement about reloading I have ever read.....
1 x

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Fri Dec 14, 2018 10:24 am

from the mid '60's until a few years ago the only press we used was our RCBS Rock Cruncher ( love that name :D ) single stage press .... during most of that time our sons and I would spend rainy days working together loading ammo .... for us, it was and still is a fun family activity .... once they moved away from home and had their own families, it became harder and harder for us to work it out .... enter for us the purchase of a Hornady Lock-N-Load press .... we use it for straight wall cases, bottle neck cases are still loaded on the RCBS .... or family enjoys range shooting and burns bunches of bullets in various calibers .... for us, having a progress press has really been a good thing .... this year alone it has been used to load thousands of 44 Mags, over a thousand 357's, I have no clue how many thousands of 9mm's, hundreds and hundreds of 45-70's .... for us, it has been a very worthwhile purchase .... hunting ammo is still loaded on the RCBS
0 x