Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Reloading Pistol cartridges

All things reloading here
mrguvna
Wrangler
United States of America

Re: Reloading Pistol cartridges

Post by mrguvna » Fri Jan 04, 2019 8:37 am

loading a 380 might be a PIA as the projectiles and brass are tiny. I use a lee turret press for my 45 acp, works like a champ and I reload with 230 gr lead bullets and various powders. 800x and blue dot seem to be my favorites in that caliber.

I bought the lee classic turret press cuz it came with all the items I would need to start. I buy range brass from various sources on the internet, lead bullets from various sources, and source the powder and primers locally or at gun shows.

reloading is an adventure
0 x

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:14 am

loading a 380 might be a PIA as the projectiles and brass are tiny.
It is, they are - been there done it.
0 x

Carver
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Carver » Sat Jan 05, 2019 1:05 pm

I want to thank you all for the info given. After doing a lot of reading and watching the you tubes etc. I think that I will for go the 380 cal and stick with the 45 for the time being. I have been setting up the Lee turret classic reloader kit that I bought. Also trying to get all the components needed.
Thanks again.
1 x

Flinch
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Flinch » Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:14 pm

I've learned a lot about reloading over the past 40 years through trial and error, mostly error. I purchased equipment from Lee, RCBS, Redding and Dillon Precision. When I fired a lot of rounds in competition, I had three reloaders, one set up for .45 ACP, one set up for .38 Special and one set up for .308 Winchester. At that stage in my life, I was firing well over 20,000 rounds per year. I downsized about 10 years ago and no longer own any Lee equipment.

I have a Dillon RL550b, which has seen a lot of use. I no longer resize rifle brass on the RL550B, because the case lube makes a real mess of things, fouls the primer feeder and requires dismantling the press to clean it up. All my precision rifle cartridges are loaded on a RCBS Rock Chucker. High volumes of plinking rifle cartridge brass is resized on the Rock Chucker, then reloaded on the RL550B. The RL550B gets mostly used for reloading pistol cartridges.

If I had to do it all over again, I would have a Dillon Square Deal reloader for reloading pistol cartridges and a RCBS Rock Chucker for reloading rifle cartridges. I have too much money tied up in the RL550B, conversion kits and dies to make the switch.
2 x
Be thankful we are not getting all the government we are paying for. - Will Rogers

DAVIDF
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by DAVIDF » Wed Jan 09, 2019 2:42 pm

Carver wrote:I want to thank you all for the info given. After doing a lot of reading and watching the you tubes etc. I think that I will for go the 380 cal and stick with the 45 for the time being. I have been setting up the Lee turret classic reloader kit that I bought. Also trying to get all the components needed.
Thanks again.
I started loading .380 recently. I would highly recommend it. The quality that you can get is far above factory. That is one of the problems with .380 factory range type loads, the quality is just not there. I have not found it difficult at all even with the small case size and small bullets. I think it is quite easy.

If you need any suggestions for a good load, I'll be glad to help. I have had great results with Alliant Sport Pistol and Power Pistol. I eventually want to try BE-86 as that looks really promising.
1 x
Made by Henry, Or Not Made At All