Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

45-70 Deer Load

All things reloading here
Greyhawk
Cowhand
United States of America

45-70 Deer Load

Post by Greyhawk » Thu Nov 15, 2018 5:23 pm

This is the first year that I hunted whitetail with hand-loads and I was anxious to try them out. At the range this summer My Henry 45-70 seemed to like 44 grains of H4198 behind a 300 grain Hornady hollow point, so that's what I took into the woods with me. I was able to harvest two whitetail with this rifle and load and I was very impressed. Great accuracy, (both heart shots) great brush cutter, one deer was in the open but the other I shot through some brush, and while they didn't go far both deer left a blood trail that a blind man could follow. Also, this is fairly mild, fun load to shoot. Venison in the freezer!
4 x

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Re: 45-70 Deer Load

Post by JEBar » Thu Nov 15, 2018 6:17 pm

Greyhawk wrote:At the range this summer My Henry 45-70 seemed to like 44 grains of H4198 behind a 300 grain Hornady hollow point, so that's what I took into the woods with me. I was able to harvest two whitetail with this rifle and load and I was very impressed. Great accuracy, (both heart shots) great brush cutter, one deer was in the open but the other I shot through some brush, and while they didn't go far both deer left a blood trail that a blind man could follow. Also, this is fairly mild, fun load to shoot. Venison in the freezer!

OUTSTANDING .... delighted to hear that you've found an effective hunting round that both you and your Henry really like .... 8-) ... I've just loaded 20 test rounds with 39 gr of IMR 4198 pushing Nosler's 300 gr Combined Technology Ballistic Silvertips .... they are the best 300 gr'ers I've found .... its good to know you find 44 gr comfortable to fire .... at this point my loads are for punching paper .... I'd sure like to have the need arise to bump up the power for a hunting load
0 x

wvhills
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by wvhills » Thu Nov 15, 2018 7:36 pm

CONGRATS .. it sure feels good when you get to harvest with components you have put together yourself, and your confidence goes up even more when it all came together..
1 x
"you don't quit playing because you grow old;
you grow old because you quit playing"

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:54 pm

Sweet, congrats!
Greyhawk wrote:This is the first year that I hunted whitetail with hand-loads and I was anxious to try them out. At the range this summer My Henry 45-70 seemed to like 44 grains of H4198 behind a 300 grain Hornady hollow point, so that's what I took into the woods with me. I was able to harvest two whitetail with this rifle and load and I was very impressed. Great accuracy, (both heart shots) great brush cutter, one deer was in the open but the other I shot through some brush, and while they didn't go far both deer left a blood trail that a blind man could follow. Also, this is fairly mild, fun load to shoot. Venison in the freezer!
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:54 pm

Congrats on the success. I love the 45-70.
1 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55