Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

lyman powder measure

All things reloading here
LeverBLASTER
Tenderfoot
United States of America

lyman powder measure

Post by LeverBLASTER » Mon Nov 05, 2018 2:03 pm

I'm looking to get a non electronic stand alone powder measure for loading .357 mag. I came across this in Midway for $40.00 ish. Lyman Brass Smith powder measure. Anyone have one/ any reviews ?

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/44381 ... er-measure
0 x

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Re: lyman powder measure

Post by Mistered » Mon Nov 05, 2018 2:16 pm

Man the price is right!
Looks good actually and I watched a review vid on it and I like it an am convinced it is a quality measure.
I might get one myself as I need a third measure anyway.

I
0 x

LeverBLASTER
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by LeverBLASTER » Mon Nov 05, 2018 2:31 pm

I've been reloading since last winter and I'm using Lee classic turret and a dipper that I ground down to hold the right amount of H110 and weigh each load on my Hornady electronic scale (xmas present from the wife). This way works great, but is a little slow. I would have tried a Lee p/m on the press, but they do not play well with H110 from all I've read and I don't feel like trying to cob something up to stop the leaking. I want to speed up a little bit and after getting 8 snow tires for 2 vehicles, the wallet is a little thin!! LOL I will still be weighing every 5-10 rounds until I feel it is trustworthy, and will still weigh even then.

Thanks for the quick reply !! :D
0 x

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Re: lyman powder measureafter

Post by Mistered » Mon Nov 05, 2018 3:01 pm

A good powder measure (or two, or three) is a reloading necessity.
Randomly weighing to check consistency is a good idea but you might find after several 'test' cycles of weighing you may find your consistency with the powder you are using to be very close - enough in fact you may not feel the need to weigh that often but by all means do to familiarize yourself with the measure.
You just may not feel the need to do so as frequently in the future.
0 x

bandit1250
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by bandit1250 » Mon Nov 05, 2018 4:16 pm

LeverBLASTER, The Lyman measure shown looks to be worth the price. I have always had good service from Lyman products. I use the Lyman 55 measure and it works good. The rotating drum measures are not at their best with the long grained extruded powders. They do very well with the ball powders and the flattened ball type. You have to be consistent with operating the throw on the handle to be accurate on charges. I use mine with the handle down then raise the handle up and hesitate a second for the opening in the drum to fill that it is adjusted for the charge weight you want. Then I pull the handle down and drop the charge and leave it in the down position until ready to make another charge for the next round. Consistency with your movement of the handle will give more accuracy. Also practice with it and weigh each charge until you find what is best for you. Take note of where consistent weights start to vary and where the powder level is in the reservoir and put a line on the reservoir and keep the powder level above that mark. It will vary with the reservoir getting low with out the powder weight to settle it in the opening in the drum. After you find your best way of operating it weigh every 5th round and check to see if you are happy with the accuracy of your weight. After charging all the cases you can also look in to the case and check the level of the powder to see if the cases are at a consistent level. Extruded powders I throw in my scale pan a little light and use the dribbler to bring up to zero. It actually is not slow once you get the routine down. With extruded if you feel the handle catch when it is cutting a grain of powder it will most always be heavy in weight. A powder measure is a nice reloading accessory that I use a lot. It took some time to get the routine down to be accurate with it. Good luck with your choice.
1 x

Shawlerbrook
Wrangler
United States of America

Post by Shawlerbrook » Mon Nov 05, 2018 5:35 pm

The Lyman 55 is good at throwing small amounts of powder. I am also a fan of the Redding droppers. They are expensive, but good used ones can be found reasonable if you are patient.
2 x

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Mon Nov 05, 2018 8:34 pm

I also like the Redding. Ive never used a Lyman. I have had the Redding for many years and would buy another one tomorrow should I need a second one.
0 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:40 pm

we have 2 stand alone powder measures .... an older RCBS and a newer Hornady .... the stand alone Hornady is extremely accurate .... we use it when volume loading .... in addition we also have an RCBS Chargemaster Combo Scale/Dispenser the stand alone Hornady is also extremely accurate
0 x

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:44 pm

I as well have a Chargemaster combo. That thing is worth its weight in gold. I really like it. Its a little pricey but I would buy it again tomorrow. Matter of fact thought about buyin a second one.
0 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Post by ESquared » Tue Nov 06, 2018 8:55 am

I got my Lock n Load kit yesterday, and, I have to say, the powder loader is not my cup of tea. I'm a very visual person, and not being able to see what's going on with the part of the process bugs me. I know, I can't see the dies stretching the cases, either, but that's okay.

It's brand new out of the box, so if you're interested, let me know and I'll make you a deal. Have an extra Hornady trickler I'll throw in for good measure.

https://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/ ... er-measure
0 x
BB Steel .357 | SGC 22LR | LR .308 | CCH 30-30 | BB Brass .45 Colt (Carbine) | Single Shot 20 gauge | Single Shot .223 | Single Shot 357