Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Taking the Plunge!

All things reloading here
Cofisher
Drover
United States of America

Re: Taking the Plunge!

Post by Cofisher » Sat Dec 15, 2018 11:49 am

Well, the learning curve continues. Resizing new Starline brass is much more difficult than once fired perfecta brass. It was surprising. I am hoping that means the new starline is much better brass.
0 x
Remember, it's not how many guns you have. It's how many bullets you have.

Bugs
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Bugs » Sat Dec 15, 2018 3:33 pm

Starline is good brass. It will go through the press much easier the second go round.
0 x

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Sat Dec 15, 2018 11:49 pm

Cofisher
While it isnt necessary if you have a vibratory tumbler put the new Starline brass in it and run it for a few hours. If you are using corn cob media add a little like car wax to it. I use meguiars but any will do. Let it tumble a while and I bet you will find it will resize easier. Al
1 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Sun Dec 16, 2018 11:35 am

I would also think that once new brass has been fired, the stress/stretch from firing would make it easier to work with.
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

Travlin
Cowboy

Post by Travlin » Sun Dec 16, 2018 9:31 pm

Make sure the car polish does not have ammonia in it. That will weaken your brass. Nufinish does not.
0 x

wingnut
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by wingnut » Fri Dec 28, 2018 2:08 pm

ESquared-

Seems you have made your way to the 308 in your reloading trials. Here some things to consider for your 308 LR. The focus is on the adjustments I had to make for my particular LR from loading for other bolt action and AR10 308’s.

1. The chamber in my LR is tight. Its close to a match chamber, there is no “slop” in it at all. Brass cases fired in other rifles then resized on the usual RCBS or Redding dies would not chamber. I had to get and use a “Small Base” sizing die.

2. Also, the chamber throat would not tolerate any case that was a hair+ longer than spec. All “used” cases had to be measured and any above spec were trimmed .005" less than spec.

That said, new factory ammo worked well and if it was first shot in the your LR, it may or may not have the above problems.
0 x
You're born & you die. In between you get to shoot a bunch guns. Kind of sums up life to me. - Colorado Bob

ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Post by ESquared » Fri Dec 28, 2018 6:12 pm

wingnut wrote:ESquared-

Seems you have made your way to the 308 in your reloading trials. Here some things to consider for your 308 LR. The focus is on the adjustments I had to make for my particular LR from loading for other bolt action and AR10 308’s.

1. The chamber in my LR is tight. Its close to a match chamber, there is no “slop” in it at all. Brass cases fired in other rifles then resized on the usual RCBS or Redding dies would not chamber. I had to get and use a “Small Base” sizing die.

2. Also, the chamber throat would not tolerate any case that was a hair+ longer than spec. All “used” cases had to be measured and any above spec were trimmed .005" less than spec.

That said, new factory ammo worked well and if it was first shot in the your LR, it may or may not have the above problems.
Thanks so much, Wingnut, for these tips. I'm actually "working my way up" to the 308, and am starting out on rounds for my 357 BBS and 30-30. In fact, I haven't even purchased dies for the 308 yet, so your note about a "small base" sizing die is very interesting. As a newbie, I'd not even heard of such a thing, so I'll have to do some more research.

I have an early production 308 LR, and it's been back to Henry for a chamber replacement, as it was totally seizing up with basic factory ammo (Federal Fusion 150 gr). The replaced the bore assembly and gear, as well as the magazine. Has worked great with Fusion ever since (post-repair pic here, just from 50 yds, but I'm happy with that 11 shot group!).

I've been harvesting all my 308 brass for a while, so all I plan to start with are once-fired casings from this rifle. Do you think I'll still need to investigate the small base sizing die?

The notes on case length are great, as well. One step at a time, though, as I'll need to find the right die and see what case lengths I get. Any recommendations on dies to look at would be welcome.

Thanks again; I've copied your notes into a Word doc I have running with "Reload notes" that include tips and tricks like yours, so keep 'em coming!
0 x
BB Steel .357 | SGC 22LR | LR .308 | CCH 30-30 | BB Brass .45 Colt (Carbine) | Single Shot 20 gauge | Single Shot .223 | Single Shot 357

Rifletom
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by Rifletom » Sat Dec 29, 2018 10:39 am

Agree with small base dies in some instances. My son has a Browning A-Bolt White Gold Medallion in 7mm mag. I could not handload for it with standard dies. Sent 5 fired cases to RCBS to check. They sent back a small base sizing die at NO charge.
Works perfectly in the Browning. RCBS said the chamber was cut very tight. Problem solved.
0 x

wingnut
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by wingnut » Sat Dec 29, 2018 11:42 am

ESquared wrote: Do you think I'll still need to investigate the small base sizing die?
... I'll need to find the right die and see what case lengths I get. Any recommendations on dies to look at would be welcome.
Have a friend with regular RCBS dies and a spent case from a different rifle? Size the case and see if it fits your action. If it does not then buy the small base sizer/primer punch and regular seater.
0 x
You're born & you die. In between you get to shoot a bunch guns. Kind of sums up life to me. - Colorado Bob