Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Taking the Plunge!

All things reloading here
Rifletom
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Re: Taking the Plunge!

Post by Rifletom » Thu Nov 01, 2018 9:19 pm

ESquared, PM coming in the morning regarding .45 auto.
0 x

clovishound
Drover
United States of America

Post by clovishound » Mon Nov 05, 2018 1:38 am

ESquared wrote:Okay, just a couple of questions come up from your replies so far (thanks for the support):

JEB: First of I've heard of a Powder Checker Die and it's a mystery to me, even after looking them up. As the saying goes: "How do it know?"

Do any of you decap prior to cleaning/tumbling. Just seems to me it would get the primer pockets cleaner and move things along, even though it's an extra step in the press (but really only takes one die). Thoughts?

I can add the kit to install primers in the press or use the hand-held one that comes with; seems like the more you can do in the press and reduce handling the case, the better. Or does it matter?

Do you have a preferred method for cleaning dies "out of the box" prior to first use and along the way as they get dirty? Product/process?

Thanks as always...
I use a powder cop die with my Lee classic turret. What you do is throw a powder charge in a case and weigh it to make sure it is accurate. You then use this to adjust the powder cop die so that the little white O-ring on the plunger comes up level with the top of the die. You just screw the die in until the O-ring is where you want it, and lock the die in place. Very simple. If the O-ring doesn't come up, not enough powder. If it comes up too far above the top of the die, too much powder. It's much easier IME to spot an over/under throw than by just eyeballing the powder level. I highly recommend them.

When I firs got my tumbler, I decapped then tumbled, then loaded. I now just tumble prior to loading. Dry tumbling won't clean the primer pockets, and they shoot just fine without cleaning anyway.

I prefer seating primers on press. Less handling of the cases, and I prefer the feel I get over handheld. Everyone's different on their preferences on this.

Most any organic solvent will work fine for cleaning dies out of the box. I usually have a can of gun scrubber handy, so I usually use that.
1 x
There is, I think, humor here which does not translate well from English to sanity. - Sanya

Cofisher
Drover
United States of America

Post by Cofisher » Wed Nov 07, 2018 4:50 pm

Esquared, tried to abbreviate that, couldn't figure it out. I am joining you in the reloading adventures this weekend. My Lee breech lock hand press arrives Saturday. And the rotary drum case cleaner. I chose the Lee universal decapper die to start with. Have the carbide dies on the way.

I also chose the Lee priming system for the hand press. This will bring me to the point of 'loading'.

I have not decided on the powder/load yet. I will be using the Hornady XTP 158 grain bullet.
First choice on powders will be the 110 or 2400. I would like to hear any ideas or experiences about this.

Thanks ya'll, I know you love it too.
0 x
Remember, it's not how many guns you have. It's how many bullets you have.

CT_Shooter
Administrator emeritus
United States of America

Post by CT_Shooter » Wed Nov 07, 2018 5:39 pm

Cofisher wrote:My Lee breech lock hand press arrives Saturday. And the rotary drum case cleaner. I chose the Lee universal decapper die to start with. Have the carbide dies on the way.

I also chose the Lee priming system for the hand press. This will bring me to the point of 'loading'.

I have not decided on the powder/load yet. I will be using the Hornady XTP 158 grain bullet.
First choice on powders will be the 110 or 2400. I would like to hear any ideas or experiences about this.

Cofisher,
Lee is a great company with excellent Customer Service. I use their four die carbide set (including the FCD) for .38/.357 calibers. I also use the Lee Single Stage press that came as part of a kit that included much of what is necessary for reloading.

I like the Lee hand primer and use it exclusively. It's easy to use and I get a tactile feel for the seating of the primer that I've learned to trust.

Their Perfect Powder measure, however, doesn't play well with H110 because it is such a fine powder, almost like water; it delivers an accurate load, but it also leaks too much for me. Instead, I use a home made dipper that started out as a 9mm case to which I soldered a paper clip handle. It delivers a consistent 13.9 grain load of H110, which is a conservative charge for .357 158 grain jacketed bullets and is accurate in both my revolver and my Henry Big Boy.

I do use and like the powder measure with HP38, Unique, and Universal powders that I use for .125 grain jacketed bullets (H110 requires a a larger, compacted load for that bullet, which I didn't want to experiment with).

Welcome to the hobby of reloading. You're gonna like it... a lot.

Good luck!!
1 x
H006M Big Boy Brass .357 - H001 Classic .22LR - Uberti / Taylors & Co. SmokeWagon .357 5.5" - Uberti / Taylors & Co. RanchHand .22LR 5.5"

Ojaileveraction
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Ojaileveraction » Wed Nov 07, 2018 5:40 pm

Cofisher wrote:

With 2400 for low end loads and H110 for the high end you golden.
2400 works for many different calibers. PC and rifle.
1 x
Pax at Justitia

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:02 pm

2400 is one of my favorites for 357. Never been a fan of H110 because with H110 its wide open or not at all. In other words it works well at near max but if you try to download with it, it isnt as user friendly. Not saying at all that it isnt a good powder because it has its place. I just like 2400 better.
2 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

Ojaileveraction
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Ojaileveraction » Thu Nov 08, 2018 1:04 am

Just going through my load books. One thought leads to another and pretty soon I have most of them out.
Made me remember to say that keeping notes is important.

I write mine in my books.
20181107_220020~2.jpg
20181107_220020~2.jpg (121.93 KiB) Viewed 1574 times
0 x
Pax at Justitia

Cofisher
Drover
United States of America

Post by Cofisher » Thu Dec 13, 2018 9:59 pm

I just received 500 starline 357 cases. I have a memory, questionable , about cleaning new brass. Is this necessary?
0 x

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Thu Dec 13, 2018 10:05 pm

about cleaning new brass. Is this necessary?
Not for the first loading - but it does need all other basic prep - sizing, flaring etc.
2 x

Cofisher
Drover
United States of America

Post by Cofisher » Thu Dec 13, 2018 10:24 pm

Thanks. On JEBar's advice, I picked up some Zero soft points and will be focusing on a good practice load. This process is very educational.
0 x