Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Loading .223 and .45 ACP tonight

All things reloading here
Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Sat Oct 20, 2018 2:03 am

You non-reloaders - see what you are missing out on?!
Attachments
IMG_1241[1].JPG
IMG_1241[1].JPG (158.99 KiB) Viewed 1151 times
2 x

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Re: Loading .223 and .45 ACP tonight

Post by Mags » Sat Oct 20, 2018 12:00 pm

... lots of pretty trinkets to play with.... ;)
Mistered wrote:You non-reloaders - see what you are missing out on?!
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Sat Oct 20, 2018 1:27 pm

... lots of pretty trinkets to play with....
Yep - more to go also!
I hadn't loaded .45 in a while - forgot how I much I enjoy loading it - bigger cases and bullets are easier to handle. The bullets rest better in the larger diameter case prior to seating - makes loading a little faster.
The ONLY problem with .45 ACP is some mfgs. are making SPP brass. The Only SPP cases I have ever encountered are Blazer aluminum which I pick up when I find them and load them ONCE for field ammo but last night I was priming a bunch of brass and I found seven out of a 100 or so than were SPP size - the primer grip hit the brass and wouldn't move! I was getting into some brass that was given to me many years ago and I had never taken it out of the boxes so now Ill have to go through the rest of it and see if there are any more of the SPP mixed in. I'll probably mix these in with my field loads and let them get 'lost' with the aluminum.
If a person were to get a bunch of SPP .45 brass its no big deal - just keep it separated form the LPP stuff and rave on!
0 x

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Sat Oct 20, 2018 11:40 pm

so other than they don't fit when trying to press in, can a human eye see the size difference?
Mistered wrote:
Yep - more to go also!
I hadn't loaded .45 in a while - forgot how I much I enjoy loading it - bigger cases and bullets are easier to handle. The bullets rest better in the larger diameter case prior to seating - makes loading a little faster.
The ONLY problem with .45 ACP is some mfgs. are making SPP brass. The Only SPP cases I have ever encountered are Blazer aluminum which I pick up when I find them and load them ONCE for field ammo but last night I was priming a bunch of brass and I found seven out of a 100 or so than were SPP size - the primer grip hit the brass and wouldn't move! I was getting into some brass that was given to me many years ago and I had never taken it out of the boxes so now Ill have to go through the rest of it and see if there are any more of the SPP mixed in. I'll probably mix these in with my field loads and let them get 'lost' with the aluminum.
If a person were to get a bunch of SPP .45 brass its no big deal - just keep it separated form the LPP stuff and rave on!
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Sat Oct 20, 2018 11:52 pm

can a human eye see the size difference?
Oh yea - its pretty obvious. Compare a primer on a 30-30 to a .357. I just didn't know I had some SPP brass mixed in. If all I find is a few pieces I'll load them once and let 'em fly!
0 x

clovishound
Drover
United States of America

Post by clovishound » Sun Oct 21, 2018 1:27 am

I'm noticing more and more range brass is SPP. I've been throwing them in a container, and am saving them for when I need to reload some .45s, and don't have any LPPs on hand, or when the LPP cases are phased out.

I've learned not to push too hard when seating primers in .45.
0 x
There is, I think, humor here which does not translate well from English to sanity. - Sanya

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Sun Oct 21, 2018 1:34 am

I'm noticing more and more range brass is SPP.
yea if I start finding any great amount of it ill do the same and keep it separate for later loading. Id rather have more brass than i need than be short on it.
0 x