Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

For Those Of You Who Use the Basic Lee Case Trimmer

All things reloading here
Mistered
Drover
United States of America

For Those Of You Who Use the Basic Lee Case Trimmer

Post by Mistered » Thu Sep 27, 2018 10:16 pm

I discovered a way to cut down trim time by about 2/3.
Instead of chucking up the case holder in your drill driver and pushing the cutter into the spinning case (if you use it this way) instead chuck up the CUTTER in your driver and push the stationary case (in the case holder) onto the spinning cutter.
The time saved by NOT having to continually try to keep the case tight in the holder is now eliminated and while this 'reverse' procedure requires you to 'manually' use the case deburring tool to debur and chamfer the case the time savings is still dramatic. It WILL require a 1/2" chuck in your driver as the cutter is exactly 1/2" in diameter.
I timed myself and was averaging 12 seconds to tighten a case in the holder, push it on the spinning cutter, remove and this includes debur and chamfer.
I am going to turn a section of aluminum round stock the same diameter as the threaded base of the case holder and drill a hole in one end slightly smaller than the spindle shaft on the case holder base and press it in the aluminum shaft and this will become a 'handle' for the base and will make it easier to chuck a case in it.
I sat the drill driver in my lap and when ready with a case just grabbed it and pressed the trigger to spin the cutter. I normally use my lathe in my shop as my case trimmer as I have a 1/2" drill chuck in the shaft and used to chuck up the case holder and turn it on and off for each case. This way I can chuck up the cutter and leave it running while I do each case. However using the drill driver was very fast and in the winter months I'll do this since the time it takes to heat my shop with the wood stove is usually weekend only - and I'll still be loading in the winter!
1 x

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Re: For Those Of You Who Use the Basic Lee Case Trimmer

Post by BigAl52 » Thu Sep 27, 2018 10:31 pm

I hate trimming cases. Its the worst job in the reloading room. I did however find that the WFT worlds finest trimmer made the job alot better for me . I have about three of theres and I really like them.
0 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Thu Sep 27, 2018 10:43 pm

Its the worst job in the reloading room.
I agree but I am glad I found this way to better use the Lee trimmer. I'm going to do some cases using my lathe this weekend and I know it's going to be a breeze - after doing it with a drill driver in my lap!
0 x

Ojaileveraction
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Ojaileveraction » Fri Sep 28, 2018 12:59 am

I usually use a LEWilson type trimmer. Same as a Lee but drives the cutter. I have a hex hex headed driver.

I just today got a Lee 35 Reminton trimmer set because I could not find a Wilson in that caliber.

Not having to worry about keeping the hex head tight I think I could trim and chamfer
inside and out and debur using scotch bright without changing the driver.
1 x
Pax at Justitia

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Fri Sep 28, 2018 8:43 am

I also use a forester trimmer for cases that I dont have a WFT for. One thing I bought was a Lyman case prep center. I found one on sale. It chamfers case mouths and cleans primer pockets fast. I really like it. Made the job faster and alot easier. Wish I had bought one a long time ago.
0 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Fri Sep 28, 2018 9:26 am

Yea I was in the process of researching other case trimming systems when I stumbled on what I posted about - IE reversing the Lee trimmer with the cutter in the drill instead of the case holder so I am good to go. I really didn't want to get something new as I already have a couple Lee cutters, case holders & pilots for the Lee so I am very glad this proved to be faster and more convenient. When I use my lathe this will be even faster as I can leave it running throughout the process.
0 x

CT_Shooter
Administrator emeritus
United States of America

Post by CT_Shooter » Fri Sep 28, 2018 9:35 am

Mistered wrote:...I stumbled on what I posted about - IE reversing the Lee trimmer with the cutter in the drill instead of the case holder so I am good to go.
Great tip, Ed. Thanks for sharing your discovery with those of us who do use the Lee Trimmer. It makes perfect sense.
0 x
H006M Big Boy Brass .357 - H001 Classic .22LR - Uberti / Taylors & Co. SmokeWagon .357 5.5" - Uberti / Taylors & Co. RanchHand .22LR 5.5"

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Fri Sep 28, 2018 9:51 am

Thanks for sharing your discovery with those of us who do use the Lee Trimmer.
Actually I cannot take the credit for this as I discovered it on the web while researching other trimming ideas. Try it if you use the Lee. Really though I am surprised I did NOT see it myself - it's so simple - kind of like my reversing the Williams WGRS sight to fit my BBB - that WAS my discovery!
2 x