Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Chronographed my Henry loads

All things reloading here
JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Re: Chronographed my Henry loads

Post by JEBar » Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:30 am

your chart confirms the fairly rapid drop in speed .... one of the great things about loading your own is (within a given range) you can adjust the powder charge .... doing so allows one to develop the most advantageous speed at the range they anticipate firing ....

as a side note, based on my hunting experience, if hit in a vital / kill area, deer aren't hard to kill .... nowhere near as resilient as larger bear and boar .... our family has hunted with 357 and 44 Mag revolvers for decades .... from the start, we max loaded our ammo which pushed the bullets at muzzle velocities considerably in excess of Nosler's speed recommendation for their JHP and JSP revolver bullets .... they show expansion data from 800 to 1350 fps .... their reloading manual offers revolver load suggestions that, depending on caliber and bullet weight, develop up to 1800 fps muzzle velocities .... in all cases, they have performed flawlessly .... I've noted many times that our preference is for Nolser bullets .... that said, I suspect, but can't prove from personal experience, that the same would be true for bullets from other solid companies that have withstood the test of time ....
0 x

GunnyGene
Drover
United States of America

Post by GunnyGene » Wed Sep 19, 2018 10:16 am

JEBar wrote:your chart confirms the fairly rapid drop in speed .... one of the great things about loading your own is (within a given range) you can adjust the powder charge .... doing so allows one to develop the most advantageous speed at the range they anticipate firing ....
Yep, start to drop like a rock past 100yds. ;)
0 x
Bellum Omnium Contra Omnes is rapidly becoming a reality (11/2023). Para Bellum.

TNman
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by TNman » Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:49 pm

JEBar...yeah I expect the 41 XTPs will perform perfectly if I do my part. Expected ranges will be about 25-75 yards. GG—-thanks for the chart with velocity and energy at different ranges..
Last edited by TNman on Thu Sep 20, 2018 11:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

GunnyGene
Drover
United States of America

Post by GunnyGene » Wed Sep 19, 2018 10:00 pm

TNman wrote:JEBar...yeah I expect the 41 XTPs will perform perfectly if I do my part. Expected ranges will be about 25-50 yards. GG—-thanks for the chart with velocity and energy at different ranges..
You're welcome. Btw at that range you oughta be able to hit it in the head with a rock. Or just rope it. :lol: ;)
1 x
Bellum Omnium Contra Omnes is rapidly becoming a reality (11/2023). Para Bellum.

Oksrt
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Oksrt » Wed Sep 19, 2018 10:21 pm

My .41 carbine will shoot the xtp through a deer at 100 yds. All three.
50 yds +2, 100 yds -2
1 x
I love all God's creatures, some are better with gravy.

TNman
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by TNman » Thu Sep 20, 2018 11:13 am

Yeah a red dot on a lever carbine in a pistol cartridge with my eyes is a short range proposition no doubt...but that’s the enjoyment of the process. I figure the 210g XTP will shoot through on broadside shots at these woods distances despite the higher velocity. The .357 with 180g Swift aframe did not shoot through on the 3 deer last year at ranges of 50-80 yards...one was an angling shot into the chest cavity. These little Henry carbines make deer hunting great again!
1 x