Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Loaded some deer rounds today...

All things reloading here
TNman
Cowhand
United States of America

Loaded some deer rounds today...

Post by TNman » Mon Aug 27, 2018 7:43 pm

Loaded 40 rounds of .41 magnum with Hornady 210g xtp over Lil Gun....Elmer is ready. Also loaded about 30 rounds of .357 with Hornady 180g xtp over Lil Gun....Phil(Phil Sharp) is ready too. A few deer ambush sites have already been selected.....Can’t wait for those crisp, cool mornings....
Attachments
11.jpg
11.jpg (126.3 KiB) Viewed 1857 times
5 x

Abnermal
Cowhand
United States of America

Re: Loaded some deer rounds today...

Post by Abnermal » Mon Aug 27, 2018 8:30 pm

The Hornady XTP bullet has served me quite well for many years. I figure one or two more range sessions then I'll handload my 2018 deer season rounds. This year might be a "payback" season. Got a doe with my car a couple weeks ago-$2700 worth!
1 x
I can remember saying I'd never own a GLOCK,never own an AR15 and never get married. I found out that never is a long,long time!

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Mon Aug 27, 2018 11:12 pm

do you happen to have access to a Chrony .. :?: .. I'd really like to know the muzzle velocity of your hunting 41's
0 x

Oksrt
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Oksrt » Mon Aug 27, 2018 11:30 pm

At 100 yards, it will shoot through a deer. Even the shoulders. I wanted to recover just one.
Nosler 210 jhp shoots same point of aim and expands a little more. I use both.
2 x
I love all God's creatures, some are better with gravy.

TNman
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by TNman » Tue Aug 28, 2018 1:36 am

Abnermal...sorry about your car...deer strikes can be very expensive and dangerous. Jeb, yes I have a chronograph but don’t use it very much. I have been wondering about velocities also and will try to get some numbers before too long.
0 x

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Tue Aug 28, 2018 8:21 am

Oksrt wrote:At 100 yards, it will shoot through a deer. Even the shoulders. I wanted to recover just one.
Nosler 210 jhp shoots same point of aim and expands a little more. I use both.
we are fortunate to have a variety of well designed, well made bullets on the market .... I'm partial to Noslers, have been since the mid '60's .... I've never gotten one back when it had taken down a deer .... have retrieved some from bear and boar .... they all mushroomed in the process of delivering devastating impact as advertised
1 x

clovishound
Drover
United States of America

Post by clovishound » Tue Aug 28, 2018 6:10 pm

TNman wrote:Loaded 40 rounds of .41 magnum with Hornady 210g xtp over Lil Gun....Elmer is ready. Also loaded about 30 rounds of .357 with Hornady 180g xtp over Lil Gun....Phil(Phil Sharp) is ready too. A few deer ambush sites have already been selected.....Can’t wait for those crisp, cool mornings....
Unfortunately, around here hunting season arrives long before the crisp, cool mornings do. Usually MUST HAVE the Thermacell up and running until late November, early December.

I ran some more 30-06 through the new to me Weatherby today, in anticipation of some organic, free range pork this year.
1 x
There is, I think, humor here which does not translate well from English to sanity. - Sanya

Slugnut
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Slugnut » Thu Sep 06, 2018 10:56 am

TNman, what loading do you use with the Lil Gun powder with the 41cal,210g XTPs ? Also, what velocity/grouping do you get with your rifle/pistol ?
0 x