Brass fill, reduced loads

All things reloading here
Dadio63
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Brass fill, reduced loads

Post by Dadio63 » Sun Aug 05, 2018 3:07 pm

Greetings Ladies and Gents,

Here’s a question for those with experience in reloading, to help me with developing a manageable hunting load for my 45-70.

Disclaimer* I am a rookie at reloading, gathering information over the internet (which can be highly suspect at times).

Due to the large discrepancy between bullet manufacturers load recommendations and powder manufacturers recommendation, it is very difficult to determine what might be a manageable load, what might be a safe load, what might be the most accurate (discounting shooter input) load, and what might be a down right dangerous/unworkable load.

Having read articles, blogs, forum posts, manufacturers recommendations, etc..I’m starting to understand the basics of what goes in to properly reloading your own ammo.

Now I read an article which talks about case/brass fill, how an overfilled case (compression load) can exaggerate chamber pressure, and how a case filled to less than “normal” capacity (<60%?) could result in uneven powder ignition/burn, leading to inaccuracy and the potential for a round getting stuck in the barrel (worst case scenario).

The answer was tendered as using a wad/filler in cases that were to be under-loaded, as a means of keeping the powder in a nice tight bundle, ensuring uniform ignition.

Has anyone here used this technique for loading the less than screaming loads that it appears the manufacturers want you to load? If so, what do you recommend for using as the filler?
0 x
USMC ‘84-‘88 (0311, 8152, 1141)
Henry H010B (45-70)

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Re: Brass fill, reduced loads

Post by JEBar » Sun Aug 05, 2018 3:20 pm

over the years I've loaded some very light power charges and have never had any issues .... there can be little doubt some may disagree but if you stay within the bounds of any of the standard loading tables, I don't believe any sort of a wad/filler is necessary
3 x

Travlin
Cowboy

Post by Travlin » Sun Aug 05, 2018 4:59 pm

For reduced loads Trail Boss is your friend.
2 x

Dadio63
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by Dadio63 » Sun Aug 05, 2018 5:22 pm

Thanks Gents!
0 x
USMC ‘84-‘88 (0311, 8152, 1141)
Henry H010B (45-70)

Ojaileveraction
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Ojaileveraction » Sun Aug 05, 2018 7:38 pm

A couple resources I've used for low pressure loads in assorted calibers.

http://www.gmdr.com/lever/pistolpowi.htm
"The Use of Pistol Powders in Rifle Cartridges"

http://www.gmdr.com/lever/lowveldata.htm
Low Velocity Lead Bullet Chronograph Data
0 x
Pax at Justitia

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Sun Aug 05, 2018 10:29 pm

over the years I've loaded some very light power charges and have never had any issues
So have and ditto on the never any issues. I used to read about how some loads 'require the use of a filler' but I have never loaded any that did.
I think largely in part what fillers might have been needed are a thing of the past and the availability of modern powders now a days offer a lot more variety but one of the best for reduced loads, Unique, is one of the oldest still available.
I hear a lot of good stuff about Trail Boss but Unique is an excellent choice for medium to reduced loads. It is dense, but meters well and provides good case fill % but one of the really important aspects of Unique is it is NOT position sensitive.
You might want to research 45-70 load data using it and give it a try - it is essentially my all - around 'go to' powder.
Here is a scan of the 45-70 data from the 'old' Lyman 44th edition load manual and it shows a few loads using Unique.
img001 (2).jpg
img001 (2).jpg (90.39 KiB) Viewed 2312 times
img001 (3).jpg
img001 (3).jpg (81.89 KiB) Viewed 2312 times
1 x

Ojaileveraction
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Ojaileveraction » Sun Aug 05, 2018 11:34 pm

Double charging could be catastrophic so make sure your process is rock solid.
0 x
Pax at Justitia

Travlin
Cowboy

Post by Travlin » Tue Aug 07, 2018 3:43 pm

Dadio63, The PM to you is obviously not working so a few words to answer about Trail Boss. Trail Boss is smokeless powder and was brought out to fill or almost fill straight handgun cases such as .45 Colt, .44 Special etc. This will enable reduced loads with standard weight bullets while greatly reducing the chance of a double charge. It has been used for some straight rifle cases such as 45-70. I hope this helps.
1 x

Ojaileveraction
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Ojaileveraction » Tue Aug 07, 2018 4:37 pm

Trailboss can be used for low recoil loads in most if not all calibers.

Don't compress Trailboss.
Measure were the bullet will seat the fill to that point or a little lower and weigh that charge. That will be your max load.

According to Hodgdon

This formula may be used in both rifle and pistol applications: Find where the base of the bullet to be loaded is located in the case and make a mark on the outside of the case at this location. Then fill the case to that mark with Trail Boss, pour into the scale pan and weigh. This is your maximum load. Pressures will be below the maximum allowed for this cartridge and perfectly safe to use! Take 70% of this powder charge weight (multiply the maximum load from step 1 by .7), and that is your starting load. Start with this beginning load and work up to your maximum charge, all the while searching for the most accurate reduced load. Once found, the fun begins!”
3 x
Pax at Justitia

clovishound
Drover
United States of America

Post by clovishound » Tue Aug 07, 2018 6:21 pm

I don't load for 45-70, but have loaded quite a few .38 and .357 loads that had lots and lots of empty space in the case. I've never had an issue as a result. 3 grains of Titegroup in the bottom of a .38 case is almost ludicrous. It shoots just fine, however.

Even Trailboss doesn't come close to filling a .38 in 148 wadcutter loads.
1 x
There is, I think, humor here which does not translate well from English to sanity. - Sanya