Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

New 30-30 Loads

All things reloading here
Mistered
Drover
United States of America

New 30-30 Loads

Post by Mistered » Tue Jul 31, 2018 10:23 pm

Loading up something new tonight - trying a local commercial caster's 165 gr LFP bullets with 10 grains of Unique.
His bullets mike at .310 so this this should be a very nice shooting (and accurate) load due to the tighter fit in the barrel but we shall see this weekend!
1 x

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Re: New 30-30 Loads

Post by JEBar » Tue Jul 31, 2018 10:41 pm

looking forward to hearing if the will cause a lead buildup in the barrel
0 x

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Tue Jul 31, 2018 10:51 pm

Yea - I am wondering myself but this is a fairly light load and I am hoping the obturation of the somewhat larger diameter bullet will keep it to a minimum - or none at all. Hmm, might have to take a rifle & ammo to work with me and stop on my way home tomorrow and give 'em try!
0 x

Cattle Driver
Australia

Post by 220 » Wed Aug 01, 2018 4:06 am

You are probably already well aware but if you are sizing your cases with a conventional neck expander ball then there is a good chance your .310 cast will be swaged down by the neck when seating.
0 x

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:04 am

You are probably already well aware but if you are sizing your cases with a conventional neck expander ball then there is a good chance your .310 cast will be swaged down by the neck when seating.
Yep -thought of this also. Seating pressure did not seem to bad so we shall see.
0 x

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Sun Aug 05, 2018 8:02 pm

Well got out this morning to try the new loads out. I only had about 12 loaded so I had to make them count.
First few shots were all over (but that was my fault) so I settled down into kneeling and managed a fairly tight three and then moved the sight down to 6 O'clock and shot the two cloverleafed below. I need to take a look at the barrel to see if i am getting any leading. Next time I'll prepare a little better with more ammo & my bench set up but I think this load is going to be a 'keeper'!
img001.jpg
img001.jpg (34.51 KiB) Viewed 2542 times
3 x

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Tue Aug 07, 2018 3:32 pm

I looked in the barrel last night and I thought I saw what might have been leading but the barrel was in need of cleaning anyway so I Gave it a few brush strokes and then a few patches and it was bright an shiny as new!
I am thinking the buildup I initially saw was just the bullet lube So I think I am lead free with load.
0 x

ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Post by ESquared » Tue Aug 07, 2018 6:22 pm

You could sell a few rounds of that around here, I'll bet! Nice looking group!
0 x
BB Steel .357 | SGC 22LR | LR .308 | CCH 30-30 | BB Brass .45 Colt (Carbine) | Single Shot 20 gauge | Single Shot .223 | Single Shot 357

Schneeky
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by Schneeky » Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:43 pm

Mistered wrote:Loading up something new tonight - trying a local commercial caster's 165 gr LFP bullets with 10 grains of Unique.
What izzit with the 10grs of Unique?!? Hehehe. I see that same measurement in what seems like a pile of different cartridges and bullet weights.
And messing with lead sounds like a good deal of fun. But holy cow, after reading on it for a coupla months now I'm more cornfused than ever. Theres a lotta voodoo in that apparently. At the first, I picked up a pile of Montanas (.430) not knowing there were different sizes within the caliber specs for different mfg's on different dates or different models etc., etc and nobody knows the bore size without hammering a greased fishing weight or somethin like down the barrel and the local guys laugh at me for worrying about it or look at me like I got lobsters crawling outta my ears. :o Jest try'em and see. I could have thrown those 430 Montanas more accurately. Dave tightened me up and informed me that I would need 432's for the BBAW. **sigh**
Guess I'll feed'em to the Ruger, mebbe?
The other 1k of Valiant .429's the LGS had hangin around I foolishly bought will get fed to the Smith with a pinch of 231, I reckon. They won't go thru it's cylinder throat voluntarily but fall thru the Ruger. After those stinkin Montanas and their "patterning" I ain't even thinkin bout tryin the 429's in the BBAW.
I slugged the barrels. Not absolutely sure I did it right.
Or izzit just a bunch of us old hard heads making somethin simple into a complicated thing? (sayitaintso!) :lol: d;^)
0 x
Outside the wire it's just us chickens, dig? d;^)

Cattle Driver
Australia

Post by 220 » Sun Aug 12, 2018 11:10 pm

Schneeky wrote:Or izzit just a bunch of us old hard heads making somethin simple into a complicated thing? (sayitaintso!) :lol: d;^)
You could be right :lol:
No doubt 1-2 though over tends to shoot better and slugging the bore will let you know what size you should be looking at.
I cast all my own and usually buy moulds that throw 2-3 thou over size as sizing them down is simple compared to trying to increase size.
Having said that I don't usually slug anything unless I cant get it to shoot.
Usually I just start 1 thou over nominal bore and call it all done if the load shoots acceptably. If not I will keep trying at 1 thou increasements to as big as I can go.
0 x