Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Question about initial cost

All things reloading here
TMB
Cowhand
United States of America

Question about initial cost

Post by TMB » Sun Jul 29, 2018 4:11 am

I've been considering reloading for a while. I just didn't shoot enough. I've recently quit some of my other extra activities which frees up time to go to the range. Reloading is again in my thoughts.

While researching equipment I found a "Complete setup" at one of the LGS. It seems to be a good way to begin. It has a Horniday Lock-n- Load Classic Kit along with one set of dies, a digital scale, brass tumbler with media, deburing tool and enough brass, lead, primers and powder to load 100 rounds. All for $655. The salesman said they would use the Horniday dies so I would get "free ammo" from Horniday as well.

Is this as good as it seems?
IMG_20180728_105011219.jpg
IMG_20180728_105011219.jpg (117.91 KiB) Viewed 2402 times
0 x
Henry H004ES Golden Boy Eagle Scout Tribute
Henry H004 Golden Boy .22 cal
Henry H006C Big Boy Classic .45 Colt

"If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're doing something wrong.” ... John Gierach

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Re: Question about initial cost

Post by JEBar » Sun Jul 29, 2018 9:35 am

Hornady is a solid company .... they produce good products and provide solid service/backing of their products after the sale .... if they will custom tailor components (power, bullets, etc) and dies to the caliber(s) you wish to load, that probably wouldn't be a bad deal ....
0 x

TMB
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by TMB » Sun Jul 29, 2018 2:25 pm

They will set you up with the caliber that you want. For me it will be .45 Colt. Not sure what powder is provided or if I can choose.
They recommended I read "The ABC's of Reloading." And they have their favorite loading manual which is different from the Horniday one that comes with the kit. So that is an addition of about $50 for those books. I figure I'll have more than one manual anyway, I like books.
1 x
Henry H004ES Golden Boy Eagle Scout Tribute
Henry H004 Golden Boy .22 cal
Henry H006C Big Boy Classic .45 Colt

"If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're doing something wrong.” ... John Gierach

Ozarkridgerunner
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Ozarkridgerunner » Sun Jul 29, 2018 2:46 pm

Been doing some research and price checking on reloading equipment and components. Like you , just kinda getting interested in reloading .45 colt and also .45-70. This starter kits price seems reasonable for sure with what your getting for your money. Have always liked the Hornady brand and the company. Folks on the Forum , of which there are many seasoned veterans of reloading , also recommended to me to first get a manual and read through it as well. The very one you mentioned recommended specifically by several folks. If you end up purchasing the kit , please let us know how it works for you. Sure be interested to know. It sounds like what I would need too.
0 x

clovishound
Drover
United States of America

Post by clovishound » Sun Jul 29, 2018 2:47 pm

The thing to consider is whether the equipment in the kit is likely to be the equipment you will want. It won't save you any money if you end up replacing a bunch of stuff down the road. Of course, that presupposes that you have an idea of what kind of equipment you want.

For example, the kit includes a vibratory tumbler. This is the most popular cleaning method out there. Some folks don't like them, however. On top of that, a case cleaner is not actually necessary. Yes, you will probably want a method to clean cases. You probably won't know what the best system for you is until you have some experience under your belt. I loaded for several years cleaning my cases every 4 or 5 loadings in a plastic bucket with dish detergent and citric acid.

The same can be said for powder scales. Some love electronic scales. Some hate them. I have a love/hate relationship with the electronic myself. I do, however, have a quality beam scale as backup/double check for my electronic. I would recommend a good beam scale for those starting out.

I like to support my local stores, but reloading equipment is one area that I buy online predominantly. Not only is there a cost savings, but I frequently cannot find the equipment I really want at my local stores. Places like Midway and Titan have a wide selection of equipment at excellent prices.
2 x
There is, I think, humor here which does not translate well from English to sanity. - Sanya

Ozarkridgerunner
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Ozarkridgerunner » Sun Jul 29, 2018 3:10 pm

clovishound wrote:The thing to consider is whether the equipment in the kit is likely to be the equipment you will want. It won't save you any money if you end up replacing a bunch of stuff down the road. Of course, that presupposes that you have an idea of what kind of equipment you want.

For example, the kit includes a vibratory tumbler. This is the most popular cleaning method out there. Some folks don't like them, however. On top of that, a case cleaner is not actually necessary. Yes, you will probably want a method to clean cases. You probably won't know what the best system for you is until you have some experience under your belt. I loaded for several years cleaning my cases every 4 or 5 loadings in a plastic bucket with dish detergent and citric acid.

The same can be said for powder scales. Some love electronic scales. Some hate them. I have a love/hate relationship with the electronic myself. I do, however, have a quality beam scale as backup/double check for my electronic. I would recommend a good beam scale for those starting out.

I like to support my local stores, but reloading equipment is one area that I buy online predominantly. Not only is there a cost savings, but I frequently cannot find the equipment I really want at my local stores. Places like Midway and Titan have a wide selection of equipment at excellent prices.
I definitely can see the points you made. Especially the manual scales for starters. The idea of a starter kit was appealing to me as well since I'm not really sure of all I need. But I get your point that one might be buying something you won't use or that there is a better type such as the tumbler, etc. I reckon Reading a good manual and visiting folks who are experienced reloaders is where to gain the knowledge for what basic equipment one would need and what has worked for them
0 x

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Sun Jul 29, 2018 3:35 pm

The thing to consider is whether the equipment in the kit is likely to be the equipment you will want. It won't save you any money if you end up replacing a bunch of stuff down the road.
I was about to post something similar But Clovis must have 'heard my thinking!' so I I'll just support what he said, and I agree completely with the scale and case cleaning part of it. Initially you don't need a case cleaning system as dish detergent, lemon juice and couple plastic containers with screw to lids work well. A squeeze of detergent and a splash of lemon juice in the containers, filled with hot water and shaken, and let sit for a while cleans cases surprisingly well, with a rinse and dry being all thats left. I use this method as a pre-clean on all my cases upon returning home from shooting. Eventually you will want a case cleaning system but it's not a necessity immediately - along with the electronic scale - I STILL have never felt the need for one after 40 + years of reloading.
1 x

Slugnut
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Slugnut » Sun Jul 29, 2018 4:14 pm

Midway USA, has sale prices on Hornady reloading supplies and kits. Give'm a look see.
0 x

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Sun Jul 29, 2018 4:17 pm

Ozark,

Noticed your reloading chat with Clovishound about mechanical powder scales. If you're at all interested in chatting about a new one I have, which I've never used and need to let go, just send me a PM.

A little background about my reloading "experience." Some time ago I bought all the equipment I thought I would need to reload .357 magnum ammo, but never got started. On top of that, I then have "discovered" about myself that I don't want to reload. After I did that about face, I sold everything except the powder scale. Why I did the 180* is another standalone story. ;)

Here is a some info about my mechanical scale. It is an RCBS M500. Like I said, brand new in original box, never used. Personally, I think this is a well-built, quality scale....was pleased with the materials used to make it. The Cabelas in KC, KS sells a lot of the RCBS equipment, which is where I got mine. You can check this scale out at the RCBS web site here: http://rcbs.com/Products/Powder-Measure ... Scale.aspx

OK. Best to you as you begin your reloading journey.
Take care.
PT7
Ozarkridgerunner wrote:
clovishound wrote:The thing to consider is whether the equipment in the kit is likely to be the equipment you will want. It won't save you any money if you end up replacing a bunch of stuff down the road. Of course, that presupposes that you have an idea of what kind of equipment you want.

I definitely can see the points you made. Especially the manual scales for starters. The idea of a starter kit was appealing to me as well since I'm not really sure of all I need. But I get your point that one might be buying something you won't use or that there is a better type such as the tumbler, etc. I reckon Reading a good manual and visiting folks who are experienced reloaders is where to gain the knowledge for what basic equipment one would need and what has worked for them
0 x

~Пока~

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Sun Jul 29, 2018 4:47 pm

with reloading equipment (like most everything else) one size doesn't fit all ... personal preferences vary widely .... power scales are a good example .... I started with a balance beam and used it for decades .... still have it but since getting a digital scale, that's all I use .... for me there is no doubt that the digital is more accurate and quicker ....
2 x