Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Question about initial cost

All things reloading here
CT_Shooter
Administrator emeritus
United States of America

Re: Question about initial cost

Post by CT_Shooter » Sun Jul 29, 2018 6:09 pm

I started to reload .357 magnums shortly after I got my first pistol permit in 2013. I bought the Lee Precision Breech Lock Challenger Kit, and highly recommend it. It's a single stage press, but after four years, I don't think I'll ever need more than that. I can reload a hundred rounds in just about 90 minutes or so... an hour if I've already primed the cases.

I only had to add the Lee four die set, buy some bullets, powder, and primers and I was in business. Later on I bought bushings to make changing the the dies faster, a digital scale, a trimming gauge, a tumbler, and a few other accessories, but none were absolutely necessary; just nice to have. Lee is a great company with outstanding customer service.

https://www.amazon.com/LEE-PRECISION-Br ... dpSrc=srch
1 x
H006M Big Boy Brass .357 - H001 Classic .22LR - Uberti / Taylors & Co. SmokeWagon .357 5.5" - Uberti / Taylors & Co. RanchHand .22LR 5.5"

TMB
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by TMB » Mon Jul 30, 2018 4:51 am

Thanks all for the great discussion. What I'm reading here is what I've been thinking. Basically, what do I really need and at what price point. I am a techno-nerd so when I see something I want I have a tendency to want all the latest technology. My father was the practical type so he taught me to look for only what I need to get a job done. He was also frugal so he looked for the best price. All of which causes me to confuse myself and take some time making up my mind.
1 x
Henry H004ES Golden Boy Eagle Scout Tribute
Henry H004 Golden Boy .22 cal
Henry H006C Big Boy Classic .45 Colt

"If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're doing something wrong.” ... John Gierach

Steve51
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by Steve51 » Mon Jul 30, 2018 10:23 am

Like CT-Shooter, I started out with the Lee Breech Lock Challenger Loading Kit. Initial investment back then was less than $200. Over the years I have purchased a digital scale and additional dies (I now load for several calibers). I purchased a rock polisher from Harbor Freight for cleaning my brass. I only load for myself as my kids are grown. This starter set still meets my needs. The added benefit for me is I like to hand load my own ammunition. I can also load ammo types that are not always available commercially.

In reality, I am not sure I have saved any money in the long run but I can sure do a lot more shooting for the buck and if you own a Henry or s single action revolver, you want to shoot it.

I don't think you will regret buying a starter kit - most important is to go slow and be safe!
0 x
H001, H001L, H004, H001TM, H006, H010, H012M, H012GR
NRA Member, GOA Member, ISRA Member, ILCCW

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Mon Jul 30, 2018 12:24 pm

In reality, I am not sure I have saved any money in the long run but I can sure do a lot more shooting for the buck and if you own a Henry or s single action revolver, you want to shoot it.
Pretty much the ‘cornerstone’ of reloading and I would like to add to prospective reloaders it should be regarded as an extension of your interest in shooting and not a chore, specifically The ability to ‘tailor’ ammo for a specific purpose. For example I finally found a powder/bullet combination that shoots equally well in my BBB .357 as well as my mod 66 Smith. Matter of fact a friend of mine was quite impressed with my shooting of the 66 yesterday with literally 1.5 “ (rested) groups at 25 yards!
1 x

TMB
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by TMB » Mon Jul 30, 2018 2:52 pm

I went to Cabela's today and looked at the Lee presses. They seemed to be good ones. The thing I liked about Hornady was the Lock-n- Load feature. Lee has the Breech lock feature which is similar. It seems with the Lee system and dies my initial cost would be right at $200 at Cabela's and maybe a bit less with equipment from Midway. My wallet likes that.
While at Cabela's I looked for dies which generated my next question. 3 or 4 die sets? Lee has a 4 die set that includes a crimping die. Do the 3 die sets crimp?
I like Steve51 idea of getting a rock polisher for cleaning.
0 x

"If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're doing something wrong.” ... John Gierach

CT_Shooter
Administrator emeritus
United States of America

Post by CT_Shooter » Mon Jul 30, 2018 3:10 pm

TMB wrote: While at Cabela's I looked for dies which generated my next question. 3 or 4 die sets? Lee has a 4 die set that includes a crimping die. Do the 3 die sets crimp?
The bullet seating die in the Lee three die set does crimp, though I don't use it. It crimps while the bullet is moving into the case.

I strongly recommend getting the four die set and using the Factory Crimping Die instead. Not only does it provide a range from light to strong roll crimps, it also resizes the cartridge one final time.
Lee Precision wrote:Lee Factory Crimp Die sizes the cartridge while being crimped so every round will positively chamber freely with factory like dependability. This die applies a roll crimp. The adjusting screw quickly and easily sets the desired amount of crimp. Trim Length is not critical so this extra operation takes less time than it would if cases were trimmed and chamfered. A firm crimp is essential for dependable and accurate ammunition, as it eliminates the problems of poor ignition of slow burning magnum powders.

https://leeprecision.com/carbide-factor ... 8-357.html
1 x
H006M Big Boy Brass .357 - H001 Classic .22LR - Uberti / Taylors & Co. SmokeWagon .357 5.5" - Uberti / Taylors & Co. RanchHand .22LR 5.5"

bandit1250
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by bandit1250 » Mon Jul 30, 2018 3:46 pm

Last year when a friend of mine wanted to get set up to load his ammo we got everything he needed used at several shows. We had plenty of stuff to choose from and found a like new RCBS Rockchucker press and a brand new RCBS balance beam scale in the box and a Lyman 55 powder measure(one of the best in my opinion.) He also bought dies in the boxes that looked brand new for several calibers he owns. Even found a new Lyman trimmer and a Redding powder trickler. Piecing things together like he did saved quite a bit of money and you get what you want instead of the company selling you some stuff you don't need right away and can be picked up at shows and flea markets. The small shows are the best for getting things cheaper than the big shows. Those guys are there to sell things and not haul them back home. It only took about three small fire men shows and we had all he needed except the Redding trickler. I got him a couple reloading manual for $4 each. Speer and Sierra manuals. His press was $70 and I got him a lower price on the scale at $40. We got the Lyman 55 measure for $30 from the same seller. Just one show got him all three sets of dies ($18/set) and his trimmer for $40 with the pilots. The little Redding trickler was the hardest to find. They are the best because they are quite heavy and don't up set easy as plastic or aluminum models.($10 for it.) I have my Redding trickler on a small magnet from a speaker to give it added height above the scale pan and more weight than it already had. I wish I would have got all my loading things from shows but never really was into shows at the time. He got his things for less than $250. He has since bought a used Lyman tumbler. By the way I had two digital scales and hated both of them. Went back to the Ohaus balance beam and never looked back. Reloading is not about fancy equipment but tools that do the job that needs to be done and that last a long time. Redding and RCBS is really good reloading tools to buy.
0 x

Steve51
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by Steve51 » Mon Jul 30, 2018 5:57 pm

I prefer the 4 die set.

I always use the factory crimp die on my hand loads. It is wise to put a heavier crimp on magnum ammunition fired from a rifle with a tubular magazine (like the Henry's).

I once loaded some .44 magnum ammo with a lighter crimp for my Big Boy and the recoil caused the bullets to push down into the case, which would increase the pressure. I was fortunate and noticed that problem before any of those rounds were fired.

Just a note TMB. I was not trying to influence you to purchase a Lee set over a Hornady set. I just think these combo sets are a good choice for many beginning re-loaders. For some, like me, they will be adequate for many years and others will want a set up that will do the job quicker.
1 x
H001, H001L, H004, H001TM, H006, H010, H012M, H012GR
NRA Member, GOA Member, ISRA Member, ILCCW

TMB
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by TMB » Mon Jul 30, 2018 7:57 pm

Steve51 wrote:Just a note TMB. I was not trying to influence you to purchase a Lee set over a Hornady set. I just think these combo sets are a good choice for many beginning re-loaders. For some, like me, they will be adequate for many years and others will want a set up that will do the job quicker.
Your post was just the type of information I was asking for. The book I'm reading recommends that you ask people who actually reload about their setup and that you "ask why they use the things..."
0 x

ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Post by ESquared » Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:23 am

Am reading back through this thread, as I've got the reloading bug. Am in strict research mode and the "3-die vs. 4-die" conversation struck me, as I've seen Hornady 30-30 die sets that are only 2 dies.
Anyone have any opinions/experience with this Lee "Ultimate" 4-die set from Midway? Seems like for an extra 9 bucks, why wouldn't you?

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/64835 ... -4-die-set
0 x
BB Steel .357 | SGC 22LR | LR .308 | CCH 30-30 | BB Brass .45 Colt (Carbine) | Single Shot 20 gauge | Single Shot .223 | Single Shot 357